Learn more

Algonquin Peak and Wright Peak via Algonquin Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(414)
High Peaks Wilderness

Algonquin Peak and Wright Peak via Algonquin Trail is a 10 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 10.0 mi Elevation gain 3,605 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (2)
Facilities
Getting There

Although a bit strenuous, the MacIntyre Range is one of the most beautiful climbs in all the High Peaks. There are a few ways to climb these peaks, and whatever way you decide, you'll have great views all day, weather permitting. Start off at the Adirondack Lodge at Heart Lake. After signing in at the trailhead at the far end of the parking lot, follow the path 1 mile. You'll see a trail intersection, marked, follow it to the right because that is your path to Wright Peak, Algonquin, Iroquois Peak. It is 2.6 miles to the summit of Wright. For the first part up towards Wright, the rocks make a stairway which is pretty nice and easy to follow. You'll encounter some steep rocks but they are easy to get up. You can't miss the sign for Wright Peak (#16 on 46'er list), follow the trail left .4 miles to summit. On clear days you can see for miles in every direction. There is a plaque dedicated to Servicemen who's plane crashed into the mountain so search around for it. After you climb back down, keep heading up the trail about 30-40 minutes and you'll be on the summit of Algonquin (#2 on 46'er list). Very beautiful views. If you follow the summit you'll see cairns lining down the backside of Algonquin leading towards Iroquois Peak which is 1 mile. Now, after following the cairns down you'll see an arrow pointing left, do NOT take it. Go right. From here, the path is a very narrow. At one point, the rocks get steep and you'll have to climb part of it. Shorter people and children will have difficulties here. But once you make it over the first peak, Iroquois is the next one. Just keep following the trail and cairns and you'll make it. Once again more great views. On the way back, you can follow that arrow and take it towards Avalanche Lake, and follow the signs to Marcy Dam and the Lodge or just back track the way you came.

Parking is $10 a day unless you are an ADK member, then it $5. There toilets and showers in the information center and closer to the lake is the lodge and they have the same in there as well.

Just 8 miles south of Lake Placid, Adirondack Loj at Heart Lake is where you'll start.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (413)
Photos (1195)
Recordings (182)
Completed (1908)
Anthony Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
HikingBugsFeeMuddyRockyScramble
View Anthony's Recording
Jess Cee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 21 2020
HikingBugsNo shade

ONLY DID ALGONQUIN. bugs and sun were terrible. My boyfriend is a 46er and thought he knew a shortcut from the overflow lot - so before we even got to the trailhead we were 6 miles in. Due to the longer but easy hike in , we didn’t get to trailhead until 11am, and with the impending storms we bypassed Wright. It was hot even up top, the bugs were like springtime. Bring bug spray. Not ideal for little dogs unless you carry them, or big dogs as there are a lot of slides the pups need help on. The trail was generally all rock, and a fun hike if you pack bug spray.

Stephen R. Zipp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

(ONLY ALGONQUIN)Trail starts off easy for the first 2.5 miles then starts too increase in difficulty, when you get to the split for wright peak the trail after gets pretty steep in some sections and by the time your breaking the treeline it gets pretty difficult but overall this hike isn’t actually that bad but the way down felt alot longer, summited in 2 1/2 hours and took about 3 hours going down(had too take the steep sections going down pretty slow) we were on a time crunch but im sure with more breaks this wouldn’t be bad at all

Jenny Chang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 19 2020
HikingBugsFee

We did Wright and Algonquin. Didn’t do the last peak. We logged around 11 miles at 8 hours though we stopped often to enjoy the views. Doggo was able to do both peaks but tired out on the way day and we had to carry her down in our backpack. She was a trooper!

Drey Fisher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 10 2020
HikingFeeRocky

Awesome day on the mountain! My wife and I took our two athletic dogs with us and had to help the smaller one (she’s a Dachshund mix so her legs are short!) two or three times up some bigger rocks, otherwise they had a blast as well. Keep in mind, there is a $15 fee to park, and we got there at 8am and there were plenty of open spots, but apparently the lot fills up on weekends. We had no snow, some mud (to be expected), and no bugs. Summits of both mountains are very windy! Bring a windbreaker with you. Fantastic 360-degree views at the top!

John Cumbo
HikingFeeMuddyRocky

I did both Algonquin and Wright and it was a pleasant hike. Starts off easy and gets progressively harder. Didn’t seem as long/difficult as Giant to me... on the top of Wright, I experienced the heaviest winds of my life and I was honestly scared, my 10 pound backpack almost flew out of my hand. Good hike!

Nicolas Reginelli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 07 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Great hike for my 4th-6th 46er! The hike from Algonquin to Iroquois was pretty muddy but with careful foot placement, could be avoided. Beautiful views at the top from all of the Wright and Algonquin but Iroquois was my favorite.

View Nicolas's Recording
Clayton Plourde
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 07 2020
Hiking

Technical notes for hikers: I would say too steep twoards the top of Algonquin for most 6 yr olds we’ve done a bunch of mountains in the past. Not too difficult of a path just mor of a stair climber trail that keeps your heartbeat up. If I did this again I would probably have camped at the checkpoint almost at the split off between wright and Algonquin. Bugs are bad for first 2 miles and then a nice breeze helps through the rest. The last mile to Algonquin will challenge you physically and mentally. Very beautiful views on the way up. You can see for miles. Definitely bring poles even my son used his a lot. The way up hurts your muscles more than anything the way down hurts your bones (if your older) the rocky Tyra in starts early and on the way up your thankful for it but on the way down your cursing it lol because of the shock on your joints) we loved the trip. Weather changes real quick. Not a Dog friendly path. Full record of Algonquin hike Maxximus (6yr old son) and I. We pushed ourselves to the max and further. He I supported him and pushed him and he did the very same to me. We hit about 2 hrs of rain on the way back that tested us. At first it was fine then he started to waver and get sad then we turned it into a game of puddles and avoiding trees while we held hands giving each other the strength to finish. We started the trip laughing, talking and joking. We did the same through it and to the end. We had mini adventures with each steep incline and their descents, every waterfall and stream we crossed was like a new world and puzzle on how to keep our feet dry. (We went through every pair of socks and the two sets of shoes I brought for him. He ended the trip wearing my only backup pair of socks lol.) half hot into trip we took a wrong turn in the Fangorne Forest (Cool name sounds like a fairytale forest) it made the trip extra special bc it was a less traveled path and he got to get knee deep in mud, using up his boots for the trip lol. We found a unique salamander (I think) towards the the top. Very pretty orange color. We meet a bunch of nice people. Note we got about 100yards from top but maxx was very scared of the wind but in my book he made it all the way. On a side note, I keep saying I packed too much But I needed everything i packed. My Pack was about 40 lbs and his was about 10lbs and at the end I was carrying both. I definitely hurt today lol. I am proud of him and the effort he put through to complete the 2nd tallest mountain in NY. He was the youngest out there by at least 6 yrs. Again F$&@ Yess we did Algonquin, and we had fun.

Orroco Realm
Hiking

ONLY HIKED TO WRIGHT PEAK. Beautiful hike! I hiked this with a 5 person group in June. It is easy for a few miles, then gets progressively harder and steeper and the way down for some reason feels long. It took us maybe 9 hours to complete because we took a lot of breaks, being only minorly experienced. I've only hiked two other high peaks but this was by far the best view of all! It has a 360º view on a peak of rock and you can see so many other peaks. There was a trail guide at the top. Be careful of stepping on New York's rarest plants when you reach the very peak, and step on the rocks instead of the plants. Great hike, might do again sometime. BE WARNED the map for this trail is INACCURATE and led us the wrong way, in which we had to backtrack and cost us additional 5 mileage. Instead I recommend buying a real map of the area like at the ADK Loj or something. However, the hike itself was fun.

Viaris Rivera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 06 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRockyScramble

Worth the hike. Very long. BRING POLES. Strenuous once you get off the Van Hoevanberg trail. We actually ended up skipping Wrights Peak. Once you reach Algonquin, you’ll see Wrights Peak. Big note* it says dog friendly but we had to help our dog up the rock boulders/crevices. Could be very dangerous as it’s muddy and very slippery. Recommend leaving the pup home.

Michael Satanek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 05 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Hiked on 5/30. Very little snow or ice left, but a steady trickle of water the whole way up. Was told by other hikers that there was still a bit of snow between Algonquin and Iroquois. No issues with bugs to speak of, and not a terrible amount of mud either. The trail is considerably longer than AllTrails represents though. We clocked 10 miles going up Wright, then Algonquin, then back down. Wright in particular is much steeper than it looks on AllTrails. It’s not technical, but I’d definitely recommend shoes with good grip for the way up and poles for the way down. We had to use our hands to climb up most of Wright trail (particularly the lower half), and similar (though not quite as bad) for sections on the way up to Algonquin. The entire hike is pretty rocky too, which was a little rough on our knees going down, and got a little slick thanks to an afternoon rain shower. A few hikers with dogs had to turn back when the trail got too steep. The views from the peaks were phenomenal, absolutely gorgeous hike. Wright was well worth the effort, and the views from Algonquin were unparalleled. We lucked out on our timing, as Algonquin was obscured by clouds earlier in the day and later in the afternoon, but we had sunshine most of the time. You don’t have much of a view out until you get above the junction between Wright & Algonquin trails. MacIntyre Falls was beautiful as well.

Kathryn Bach
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 02 2020
HikingMuddy

My husband and I did this today. It was an amazing hike. Clearer skies gave way to overcast and snow at the top but spikes were still not needed.

Keith Conforti
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 31 2020
HikingMuddyRockySnow

Hiked on 5/31 with little traffic coming or going. The first mile is great and I was thinking it's going to be easier than i thought. When you start the upward push it's not bad and your pass some GREAT waterfalls. The views are fantastic on the back side and you can see for miles. The final push to the peak was icy with more snow. Once i was at the top i was all alone with nothing but clouds. I waited for a while and when they broke it was fantastic!! I recommend poles on the way down because the tail was wet and rocky. A great day and i will do it again.