Algonquin Peak and Wright Peak via Algonquin Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Shady Corner Curve, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Although a bit strenuous, the MacIntyre Range is one of the most beautiful climbs in all the High Peaks. There are a few ways to climb these peaks, and whatever way you decide, you'll have great views all day, weather permitting. Start off at the Adirondack Lodge at Heart Lake. After signing in at the trailhead at the far end of the parking lot, follow the path 1 mile. You'll see a trail intersection, marked, follow it to the right because that is your path to Wright Peak, Algonquin, Iroquois Peak. It is 2.6 miles to the summit of Wright. For the first part up towards Wright, the rocks make a stairway which is pretty nice and easy to follow. You'll encounter some steep rocks but they are easy to get up. You can't miss the sign for Wright Peak (#16 on 46'er list), follow the trail left .4 miles to summit. On clear days you can see for miles in every direction. There is a plaque dedicated to Servicemen who's plane crashed into the mountain so search around for it. After you climb back down, keep heading up the trail about 30-40 minutes and you'll be on the summit of Algonquin (#2 on 46'er list). Very beautiful views. If you follow the summit you'll see carins lining down the backside of Algonquin leading towards Iroquois Peak which is 1 mile. Now, after following the carins down you'll see an arrow pointing left, do NOT take it. Go right. From here, the path is a very narrow. At one point, the rocks get steep and you'll have to climb part of it. Shorter people and children will have difficulties here. But once you make it over the first peak, Iroquois is the next one. Just keep following the trail and carins and you'll make it. Once again more great views. On the way back, you can follow that arrow and take it towards Avalanche Lake, and follow the signs to Marcy Dam and the Lodge or just back track the way you came.

Went up today, 10/30. Beautiful trail, progressively more difficult as you go. Definitely bring spikes and plan for snow, very steep and slippery in some areas. Had to stomp through nearly 3 feet of snow once passed the tree line to get to the peak. Super windy, very cold, no view, but still worth the trip. I'd definitely do this trail again if promised a view. Experienced hikers, round trip almost exactly 6 hours.

amazing hike...

Hiked Algonquin on 10/24/18. This is a relatively easy hike up until the fork at Wright and Algonquin. It was very icy with at least 2-3 inches of snow on the ground. Too cloudy and cold and windy to enjoy the view(or lack thereof). Couldn’t see too well due to the clouds and snow. Had to follow previously made footprints to actually make it to the top. Cairns were just barely visible. If anyone is planning this hike bring microspikes and don’t go when a snowstorm is expected. Lol

Had a great time hiking this trail with one of my best friends. Perfect weather, and beautiful foliage. 10/10 would recommend

10/8/18 was a great hike and as you continued your climb it became increasingly more steep. It was almost like a warm up for what was to come. I decided to do Wright peak first which I think was a good idea since after I did Algonquin I decided to go the “extra mile” and do Iroquois as well. Not sure I would have had it in me after both of those peaks to come back and do Wright. All in all it was a decently difficult hike. Technically 4 peaks total but boundary isn’t recognized as a 46er because of its close proximity to Algonquin, nevertheless I like to make myself feel better by saying I tackled 4 peaks. Total time for me was 6 hours 15 minutes from trailhead to trailhead using my garmin watch it somehow clocked me at 16.1 miles total. So something might have been off between my watch and the trail signs. I don’t know. The views at each peak were obscured by total cloud coverage so I didn’t spend much time at any peak really but I did stop multiple times on the lower levels to see some foliage and enjoy the beauty of the trails. Would love to do them again on a clear day if I could.

This hike is unbelievable. It was my very first time hiking any of the 46 ADK peaks, and I started right in with Wright & Algonquin! They were amazing to say the least. We did Wright first, very steep 0.4 mile from where the trail splits into Wright or Algonquin. The views were BREATHTAKING! Heart lake looked glorious from up there, and there’s the plaque in dedication to the helicopter that crashed there in 1922 (i think?). The way down was actually just as challenging, which I never took in to account! Very slippery!
Algonquin was 0.6 from trail split, not as challenging but not easy. Unfortunately by the one we got up there we were in a cloud, which was actually quite interesting, but you couldn’t see anything. Looking forward to doing it again, hopefully with a view!

Unbelievable hike! Starts off relatively flat and gets increasingly harder as you make your way up. There is a lot of big boulders and rocks as well as big flat rocks that can be quite slippery coming down. The last little bit starting at the fork between Wright & Algonquin peak is quite strenuous, but the views make it totally worth it! We did both Algonquin & Wright which took us about 6 and a half to 7 hours. We did this hike without hiking poles but I would probably recommend them due to the scrambling/slippery rocks. Don’t forget to pack warmer clothes because it is very cold on the top of the mountain. We had our dog with us and she did great! We were advised it can be tough for dogs but it is definitely do-able for anyone wondering! Overall this hike is a very fun one, although quite difficult.

The trail to Algonquin starting from the ADK Loj is relatively easy from the trailhead to the Marcy Dam area but gets increasingly difficult as it progresses. Plenty of cobbles to traverse.Continues to ascend quickly. Fun though. The final approach to the summit offers some great views. As does the summit itself.We hiked down off Algonquin over to Boundary then up to Iroquois. Back to Algonquin then down to the base of Wright. Wright is fairly tough as it ascend quite quickly. Great views. Check out the plane crash plaque and debris.The hardest part of Wright was that it was our third summit of the day.But why not get all three while right there. Be in good shape for this hike.

Did the trail with 2 friends 8/15/18. It wasn’t too muddy even with all the recent rain. It gets more challenging as you continue up, but the top is worth it. Very fun day hike. It took us 6 1/2 hours to do just Algonquin.

A beautiful hike! We hiked it with a group of 4 and it took us about 8 hours in total. Remember lots of water and sunscreen! The views are amazing. There were lots of dragonflies as well! Perfect place for lunch! Some spots along the trail were steep and challenging but mostly after the fork. We wished we did Iroquois too!

Interesting hike, training with a 40 lb pack a couple of weeks go. Rained most of the day, wind on top was gusting at 40 plus with very little visibility; could not see any other mountains. I did Algonquin and then Wright. Wanted to go to Iroquois but thought better of it due to the conditions and possible thunder. Trail is somewhat challenging like most of the 46, lots of large rocks. I did not have poles and recommend them.

This is a phenomenal hike that has all types of terrain and difficulty. The last mile after the fork that splits to Wright and Algonquin was pretty technical but truly rewarding. We did only Algonquin on this outing. It took us 7 hours with a good pace.

Great view! Totally worth it.

One of my favorite high peaks!

We did it in 6hrs total with two kids (6 and 9) and two dogs. Last part is very challenging. It kicked our butts but were happy to do it.

Gorgeous views from the top of Wright and Algonquin, but man, Algonquin kicked my butt. It was super humid out today and caused us to run through water much quicker than expected. I barely made 3 liters last until we hit the waterfall back on the way down. Felt accomplished to complete the two, a little disappointed we didn’t push on to Iroquois, but I had nothing left in the tank. Ton of respect for both of these mountains, they are challenging and pretty technical.

Awesome hike, but very difficult for anyone who just hikes regular trails. Mostly boulders fairly early in, then it just gets steeper with bigger boulders and shear rock faces. Views at the top are phenomenal though, even on a cloudy day. Bring poles for the way back down, which actually wasn’t as bad as I thought!

Lower part of the trail is beautifully maintained, middle part has lots of boulders, top is all granite. Just did Wright today. Had the dogs and they were toast. I was too. Will try it again sometime soon and bag Algonquin as well

Amazing views and scenery. The hike starts out relatively flat but gets very steep about 1.5mi in. Great hike for those who like rock scrambling and climbing over shear rock face. Every turn was a new surprise. It’s a must.

Great trip. Very rocky and hard on the old knees but worth every step.

Hike! The view was incredible, the trail unbelievable. DEC dodo a lot of updated work at Avalanche lake pass!

Incredibly steep for an unseasoned hiker, but that said it was so worth the effort. It took 2 in shape hikers and 1 out of shape non hiker about 2.5 - 3 hours to climb to the summit. The climb has tons and tons of rocks and rocky terrain. It hadn’t rained in a few days when we hiked but the trail was still mucky. The summit was astounding, however. I’m from the Midwest so I have never seen anything like that mountain range of the Adirondacks. I highly recommend going to either Wright’s Peak or over to Iroquois from the summit of Algonquin.

did this hike towards the end of May, the weather wasn’t the best, nor the visibility (it was very foggy) at the summit; but the hike itself was challenging and very rewarding!

loved this hike

What an epic weekend of hiking (Fri June 8th & Sat June 9th) with amazing weather conditions. We hiked Marcy, Giant, & Algonquin in about 28 hours with a little down time to eat and nap.

After sleeping in our cars for 4 hours we tackled Algonquin (8.5 miles) as the last of the three we planned.Sat morning. We started early like 6am and this was another awesome and challenging hike as well. The trail itself was very picturesque with streams, waterfalls, woods, etc. There is a lot more technical rock climbing on this hike. There was only a handful of people on the summit and it was the windiest of the three we did (pack a windbreaker for sure). Just more beautiful and breathtaking 360 degree views. I’m tall (6’ 1”) so the constant stepping up and climbing put a little beating on my legs but coming down was much easier and fun to be honest (jumping, hoping and butt sliding). The trail was much busier and congested going up as we were descending and we probably passed close to 75-100 other hikers. Round trip it took us about 6 hours.

Challenging hike, but very rewarding! The views were amazing. It was super windy at the top, hailed when we reached the summit, made for an awesome experience!

Nice hike. Boulder strewn climb. Couple areas where you have to scramble. Continual steep uphill for the last 3 Miles. Great cardio workout. The summit was spectacular. Very little mud but moderate amounts of water on rocks. Definitely recommend trekking poles for descent. Enjoy!

We camped at the MacIntyre Falls site so we could get an early start the following day. Everything above 4,000 was in a cloud and windy. At the top of Wright the wind was so bad we were crawling on our hands and knees so we could officially summit, but we got it and the picture. WORTH IT!

If you're staying overnight anywhere in the high peaks...bring a bug net and a wide brim hat...you'll thank me.

A challenging and rewarding hike. We had the summit of Iroquois to ourselves and it was gorgeous. I’m glad I had poles for my knees on the way down. Absolutely do this hike if you have the opportunity.