Algonquin Peak and Wright Peak Loop Trail

Algonquin Peak and Wright Peak Loop Trail is a 11.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very muddy and wet. Expect it! Bring a trekking pole very slippery. We hit wright, algonquin, then iroquois, for a total of 10.8 with an out and back trail, not a loop. This took us 5 hours of straight hike (moving) time and about 6:30 hours total. Brought two and a half liters which was perfect for me. Good views on all three peaks (360 degree). You need to hike algonquin again if you dont do iroquois that day!

Pretty tough trail if you're in avg shape. Worth it for the views and challenge.

beautiful

great hike, you get lots of nice views on a clear day

One of the most stunning hikes I've ever done.
- Avalanche Lake was absolutely gorgeous. I thought the view coming from the north (and facing south) was prettier. This means you should do the loop in a clockwise fashion. The scrambling and ladders were so much fun.
- Trail from Avalanche Lake to Algonquin was killer. I'm 26, in shape, but still had a hard time with my 30lb backpack. View at the top was absolutely worth it though.
- Descent from Algonquin peak to the Loj destroyed my knees. Be prepared for that.

One of the best hikes in the region. Be sure to check out the old plane crash on Wright peak on your way up.

Just completed Algonquin and Iroquois this weekend with my wife. Absolutely beautiful climb. Would not recommend going down towards avalanche pass unless you are fit, as the loop can take sometime.

I went horribly wrong while attempting to hike this last weekend. I missed the turn on to Algonquin Trail (there are more than the one pictured on this map). I somehow ended up on top of Marshall, which I thought was Iroquois until corrected, and then spent 3 hours alone and lost on a herd path before I somehow made my way back to Avalanche Lake. I was out there for nearly 12 hours and made it back 20 minutes before dark. I was very scared I was going to be spending the night outdoors.