Algonquin Peak and Wright Peak Loop Trail

Algonquin Peak and Wright Peak Loop Trail is a 11.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Difficult climb for an inexperienced hiker, but the view was breath taking.

A great hike. Wright, Algonquin and Iroquois. Great views

I’m a 59 year old guy who is in decent shape...or so I thought!!! My intentions were to try and do three peaks all at once...Algonquin, Wright, and Iroquois. But man did I underestimate how STRENUOUS it would be! It was mostly rock paths and rock climbing...BE AWARE!!!!...when you get to the signs marking “Wright peak- .4 miles” pointing to the left...and “toilet” pointing to the right...there is another half broken sign between them on the same post pointing up to “Algonquin - .9 miles”... you can hardly see the “Algonquin “ sign...so stop and really read the signs!!!! I posted a pic of the sign...By mistake, I took Algonquin, but was so glad I did??? I was exhausted by the time I reached the summit, and realized I was too beat to do either of the other peaks that day. So at least I did the 2nd highest peak in New York State!!! The views were spectacular!!! FYI...it’s 2 days later and I AM SOOOO SORE!!!! Time to start planning my next peak!!!

Well worth the effort to get here. The top is like something out of Lord of the Rings. Not for beginners or those with weak knees; the descent will be hardest.

Added Iroquois to the W&A loop. Fun waves of bush trashing through narrow passageways alternating wide open exposed rock plateaus. A few fun scrambling problems to solve. Lake Colden ladders grant magnificent views. No bugs on a flat walk back to the car wishing for flip-flops. Six to three. Mostly daylight:)

Hard a semi understatement! The parking lots were full when we got there (yesterday around 1030) so we and others had an additional 2 miles added to the hike---get there early! We did Algonquin first starting around noon and debated adding Wright (as it was about 5pm). Which we did. That is just as hard as Algonquin! Straight up from the .04 sign. Longest .04 in my life! Definitely worth adding on..especially when you're almost there. We finally got out of the woods about 715 altho getting dark. Lots of people kids and dogs. Great to see! Bugs weren't even out! Definitely great and challenging!

It's a great hike the way the app Directs you is good. You have to be reasonable shape to do this loop. The decent to the car was a solid 4 hours and mentally draining as you are in a boulder field for 3/4 of the way down. It's beyond worth and I recommend it for any reasonably experienced hiker

GREAT HIKE! Avalanche Pass was cool, Avalanche Lake was very cool ! Large rocks to navigate but very doable. The ladders, planks & Hitch Up Matildas(walkways mounted on the cliffs a few feet above the lake) were fun. The scenery while hiking the lake was awesome ! The climb up to Algonquin was physically demanding but technically very doable. Most of the climb was rock and roots with beautiful waterfalls and excellent views of Colden & Marcy once you get high enough. The last 1/4 mi. of the climb was some pretty steep slabs of rock (but if one is ok with the slabs of rock...very doable). The 360 view from the peak was worth the effort. Not enough time or energy to include Wright. First hiking trip to the High Peaks region so only Big Slide to compare it to but I give it 5 stars.