Alander Mountain Trail

Alander Mountain Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Copake Falls, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,200 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Went up and back from the HQ but stayed a the cabin overnight. Great views from the summit...cabin has wood stove but the roof leaks...avoid the top bunks if you stay. Overall a great hike.

Lots of water on the trail after an early November rainfall. We took advantage of the campsites 1.5 miles in which are perfectly maintained with supplied wood and cooking grates. Another 1.5 mile steep climb to the summit with great views. Highly recommend.

Quick little 1.5 mile hike to the primitive campground.

Awesome hike. Beware of rattlesnakes.

Second leg of MtWashington hike

Mon Jan 21 2019

Wet/ icy hike. Definitely wear crampons if you’re hiking during the winter. It’s a nice long hike with steady inclines. Very enjoyable.

Tue Nov 13 2018

Lots of water on segments of the trail due to recent rainy weather.. Nice gradual 1200 ft incline, steeper sections towards the nice view at the summit. Wear waterproof hikers

Sat Nov 10 2018

Nice hike. Tends to be wet (hiked in Early November) so I would recommend a decent hiking shoe. My running shoes came back wet and dirty. I tried running the on the easier grades but you have to be extremely careful due to the rocks and wet conditions. I would rate this moderate in difficulty.

Sun Sep 02 2018

best views await you at top.love this trail due to friendly hardcore hikers and no litter. Finding that the the steeper the trail, the more environmentally conscious hikers. keep it beautiful!

Mon Aug 13 2018

At the beginning of the summer (2018) when I decided to start hiking again, I kept seeing this trail when searching out what hike to do in the area. It was listed as "hard" by AllTrails so I didn't think I should try it right away. After doing the AT up to the top of Greylock last weekend, I figured now was as good a time as any. In reality, this shouldn't be listed as hard. It's a moderate ascent up to the top. The trail is fairly wide most of the way though it does have a lot of rocks you must traverse. Started at the Mt. Washington State Forest entrance and it took me about 1.5 hours to reach the top and that was with stops to enjoy the scenery, take pictures and so forth. Didn't see a soul my entire time out but not sure if that was due to the trail or the weather or both. I got to the top but though the weatherman said the area was supposed to be partly cloudy, it was more than that. The view at the top was disappointing as I have read it has wonderful 360 views. I was also a bit surprised how small the top was really. Don't expect a Mt. Greylock wide open and fairly spacious area. I saw four support bases there and think there must have been a fire tower at one time. The trail is really easy to follow and marked well. It appears it's really just a path that the rain runoff uses than a trail that was blazed and marked for everyone. When you get to just about the top, there is a small cabin. At this point, if you pass the cabin, you can go left or right. Right goes up a little steep incline and that leads to the summit. I'm thinking that if you went the other way, it just continues on to the South Taconic trail. At the summit, there is another branch off and was not really sure what that was but looking once I got home to do this, it looks like it goes up to Bash Bish Falls a few miles north. For 99% of the way, the trail was marked fine as I mentioned but at the cabin, trail markings are lacking. Got to the top, took pictures and then the rain came. I went back down to the cabin and waited about 15 minutes then descended to the parking lot. I got a little wet but this area is mostly deep woods so the rain wasn't so bad. Don't expect lookout side views on this trail but there are a few nice brooks and waterfalls to enjoy. If it was warmer, there is an area that looks like you could wade in to cool off. A nice hike but could have been better if I waited about 3 hours to start it as once I got back to my car, the clouds started parting and the sun came out, who knew, oh well.

Mon Aug 06 2018

The route on the map leaves from and returns to the Mt. Washington HQ but if you have two cars (as we did), the best way is to park one at the Alander Brook trailhead in New York, then drive your other car up to Mt. Washington and leave from there. A somewhat easier trek up to Alander than leaving from the NY side and you can just keep going downhill after you hit the Alander summit and enjoy the other views on the way down. Amazing views from the top of Alander!

Sat Feb 03 2018

I started out early in the morning. It was a long gentle climb. I was alone at the summit, amazing views, the clouds were below me! Total serenity and peace! I could see all the way to the Catskills! I recommend this hike

Sat Nov 04 2017

This was a moderate pretty hike with a great view.

Fri Nov 03 2017

At the very end of this trail are fabulous views of the Hudson valley, Catskills to the west, Mt.Everett to the east, and the Taconic range to the south.

Sun Oct 08 2017

Awesome fun and had a blast, but was a bit sketchy because it had just rained. I Biked/walked my bike up 11/12 of the way up then hucked it back down!

Mon Oct 02 2017

Excellent Views! Nice gentle, sloping trail! Amazing Ridge!

Sun Sep 24 2017

Challenging in the sense that it feels like you're climbing on a stair master the entire time. No rock scrambling and not very difficult, just a steep walk up. Views were breathtaking at the summit. Acorns and loose rocks going down can make it a bit slippery so a bit of caution there is recommended - but overall a easy hike

Sat Sep 23 2017

Sat Sep 02 2017

really nice view and pretty easy trail

Sun Aug 13 2017

Nice moderate ascent to summit. Outstanding views multiple vantage points to walk around to. Definite recommend.

Sun Jul 30 2017

A good hike with moderate terrain. Great views from the summit. To bad no trail assoc to maintain the cabin.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Planned a West side Alander Mountain trail. For a day after heavy rain, the trail was fine, expectedly, reasonably wet/dry. Bridges, wet fords, trails sharing stream beds. Shortest route to summit, but climbs & mixed up & down on return. If an in & out, one may partly hike S. Taconic for it's view from the summit, it is marked. Otherwise all day it, or overnight. Used trailhead from Mt. Washington State Forest HQ.

Thu May 11 2017

I would definitely rank this as intermediate, as there were only a few short sections with a steep incline. The trail was really beautiful, a few waterfalls and tons of streams. A few streams interrupted the path when i went yesterday but nothing too difficult to hike around. I would absolutely recommend this hike.