Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Acra Point via Black Dome Range Trail to Escarpment Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(33)
Windham-Blackhead Range Wilderness

Acra Point via Black Dome Range Trail to Escarpment Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Maplecrest, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,023 feet Route Type: Loop

flooded

I liked this hike, but in the beginning of may, it was a little flooded,muddy and so many bugs!!! But the nature itself and all the rivers were beautiful. And it's a moderate trail, not easy.

The first and last third of the trail are gorgeous and follow a pretty stream. The long middle section is a bit dull but the SW vista past Acra point makes up for it (just make sure not to miss it - it’s a bit off the trail and unmarked). I wouldn’t rate this easy by any measure and certainly not doable with young kids. Distance is 6.4mi - not 4.9 as the app states. Quite a difference.

icy

Nice easy trail, not too steep. Only one on it today, fresh snow but very windy. Some icy areas. Couple nice views from top if it’s clear out. 5.25 miles from lot back to lot, finished in 2.5 hours.

I am not new to hiking, but I’m new to hiking solo as a single woman, and this trail was perfect. I did the loop counterclockwise, and it took just over three hours. I encountered enough people so that I felt safe, but the trail is still quiet and serene. And the lookout view is spectacular. I’m a little surprised that it’s classified as “easy” because there’s a substantial elevation gain. Not complaining—it was fun—but I’d say it’s moderate. I don’t think this would be a good hike for anyone with mobility issues or zero experience hiking.

Sun Mar 03 2019

We hiked this trail the first weekend of March. The trail was iced over but thanks to a covering of snow, it was easier to traverse. Going north through the Arca Point trailhead first is recommended as the trail is a bit easier this way. Views were awesome about 1.5 miles in. A bit strenuous in the beginning and a couple difficult boulder hops if you’re not seasoned or athletic, but a great day hike!

Sun Sep 16 2018

Great hike, dog friendly, do-able in a few hours, nice varied terrain, plus a good vista at the top. We did this loop in mid September. We took our medium sized 2-year old dog, it took us almost exactly 3 hours and we hike at a pretty medium pace, we stop for water and rest here and there, not in a rush. Most of the hike is on the top of the ridge, so you've got peeks of the view on both sides. The best view is about 15 minutes after you turn right after the initial ascent. There's an okay view off to the left, but a great view off to the right on a little rock clearing. There is a small parking lot at the start of the trail, and All Trails address for this was accurate. You could maybe wear sneakers on this hike, but I'd recommend hiking shoes/boots, there are a few places where you cross back and forth in creeks, plus a little slippery in places.