Abbott Loop Trail

Abbott Loop Trail is a 7.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Spencer, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,574 feet Route Type: Loop

Such a fun trail! Twists and turns, logs to hop over, up and down plus pretty sunlight coming through the canopy on flat spots by the creeks. Loved it!

Lovely day hike, interesting plants and mushrooms, only met a few people along the way. Quiet and calm. Good intermediate level elevation gain, enough to feel like a solid hike, but not grueling. One pretty view as reward. Some overgrown areas, be cautious of ticks. Some portions of trail were less well marked, but there were maps along the way to help. Would definitely hike again! Took 4 hours and 15 minutes active time

Very nice trail, well marked (checked AllTrails a couple of times just to be sure). The bottom was quite muddy today (thick consistency where boots sunk about halfway in) and near the water were lots of bugs (bug spray helped). Some sections were a bit overgrown but otherwise the trail was well maintained. It took me and my 9 year old collie 4.5 hrs to complete including about a 15 min stop at the viewpoint. Passed 4 groups of 2 people, but didn't see anyone for the first 2 hrs (started on a Saturday at 8:30am). Nice hike!

The start of the trail is across the street from the parking area. I accidentally did it backwards and that was cool too. Awesome trail. Definitely recommend pants and boots.

Trail is on clearly marked hard to find if you’re not paying attention

Parked at the Michigan Hollow Road Trailhead and followed the loop counterclockwise. The parking lot fits probably 7 or 8 cars. Overall the trail lived up to its description of being rugged. It’s rated as a Hard and I would say I probably agree with that. It took me (pretty out of “hiking shape”) 2 hours and 40 minutes. If you’re someone who is in great shape and hikes often, you could probably do this in close to 2 hours if you’re trying to crank out some quick miles. Don’t underestimate this loop, though. It’s got some steep sections and a lot of rolling hills. After 5 or 6 miles of that, it starts to tire you out. Mud wasn’t too bad, though it had been exceptionally hot the past week. Even with that, some areas did have unavoidable mud. The trail was very well marked and easy to follow. Only had a couple instances of head scratching wondering where the trail went, and that was on road crossings where the other side had been grown over a bit. Treat your clothes and check for ticks, there are definitely some overgrown spots.

Did for 2nd time 07-14. Much dryer than last year. Well marked. Deep woods brings out the bugs!

Muddy sections persist. Water is flowing for those filtering their water. Bugs are out. Not sure if they're not biting because I was prepared or... permethrin treated clothes including headband. A dab of Picairdin on the nape of my neck. Passed 2 men and then a solo hiker. Nice picnic spot at the Lookout.

very well marked. pretty muddy

Most mud is play doh consistency. well marked. Bug free and warm June day. Most of the wildflowers have passed peak. Wild Columbine are in their prime. Added Dove Loop Trail. Took off 1/2 mile of Abbott's Loop but added one mile doing Dove Loop pink then red sections before coming back to Abbott's Trail for last 3/4 mile.

Great hike! I found dozens of neon orange lizards on the trail. High point at Aprox 1800ft. Trail was very muddy, boots recommend. Parking lot across the street from the trail. Big loop leads back to the parking lot. Huge inclines pop up every few miles, makes the hike enjoyable but intense! There are a couple other loops imbedded in the trail. Very well marked.

Be ready for a workout! it's uphill for 1.8 miles. At that point there's a great lookout point. There's a picnic table and a ring of rocks for a fire. I camped overnight in this spot. It was perfect! I thought the rest of the trail would be mostly downhill but I was wrong! It's definitely a workout but very pretty areas with creeks and lots of pine. There a bunch of muddy latches on the trail but they may dry up after may. And, yes, watch out for the little red Newts! They're all over!

Love this hike compared to the Cayuga Trail hike I did yesterday. Much more hillier and has the same variety of flora, fauna and terrain plus lots of water. Great picnic spot 2 miles in from the trailhead with views.

Two intense inclines. Easy at some parts (leveled terrain) thats jog-able.

Beautiful spring hike! I didn’t encounter any other hikers on a Tuesday morning. I measured 8.2 miles, and took just under 4 hours in sedentary-all-winter condition.

I did this trail on Saturday, 3/9/19 ... it was a sunny day with temperature rising to 40 degrees even with snow still covering the ground and I came across with 9 people and 2 dogs in total. West Loop was well packed and I think it's a little warmer perhaps because of abundant streams. I saw in places snow cover was completely gone exposing brown fallen leaves on the ground from last year underneath. East Loop was more quiet and the trail was a little more fresher, with the only track on trails with those of animals, but I was going clockwise from the parking lot, opposite of what most people seem to do. All 9 I came across with were going counter-clockwise. West side of the loop had many frozen streams and I could confirm what another reviewer from California say about the presence of water. During the summer, I imagine after rain it must be a little muddy. This time I did the hike with microspikes and I think that was a good idea, as snow on the trail on the West Loop was really packed and icy by use of many hikers. I personally think going clockwise is a better way to go, to enjoy the stretch of views leading up to the pinnacle during the winter. Going clockwise, you will be kind of looking Cayuga Lake in distance (I think,) and I looked back the other way, and it seems to me it's just much nicer view (going clockwise) in my opinion. I also think if you are into the view, it's also better to do during winter when foliage is gone so you can enjoy seeing the longer stretch through trees, not just from the cleared portion from the pinnacle. Although, I'm sure there are different charms in summer time! I finished the entire loop in 4 hours at a very leisurely pace.

Well marked but tough to navigate, especially through the stream section. Would love to revisit in the spring or summer

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Great trail through the state forest in Danby, NY. Well-marked trail through some lovely countryside.

Sunday, September 16, 2018