Abbott Loop Trail

Abbott Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Spencer, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing trail running and a challenging 8 miles with the 1700ft elevation gain. I started on the north side of Michigan Hollow Rd. across Michigan Creek. Stay to the left and follow the red blazes. Miles one and two have moderate climbs. The end of mile 3 has a steep descent with most of mile 4 running along creek bed (fast and fun). A big climb at mile 5 leads to a ridge and an eventual fast descent in mile 6-7. Trail turns left and blazes turn white around mile 6.5. The terrain is mostly pine bed forrest with lots of roots and some small stones at points. Overall I felt the trail was pretty technical and fun with lots of twists and turns and patches of roots and rocks throughout. Highly recommended! Enjoy!

Good trail...well defined .beautiful overlooks..a bit buggy near creek section but just challenging enough!

nice well defined trail..beautiful overlooks..just a bit buggy in sections!

A friend and I spent the day doing this loop. We started around 145-2pm and finished up around 630-645pm. The length was good and at the end we had both found it to be an easy trail. I had some difficulty since I have a cane and my right knee doesn't hold my body's weight but even with that I didn't find it overly difficult or hard. It's very well marked and maintained and is easy to stay on trail.

I'd definitely do this loop again and I truly recommend it, just make sure to set aside a decent hunk of time and bring plenty of water.

Well marked and fun to hike! Lots of small pools and watering holes for dogs to splash in on hot days. Be prepared for some steepish trails and some shallow water crossings in early spring or after a heavy rain. Definitely not a flat, straight walk.

Very well marked and maintained trail, beautiful scenery and will definitely do this loop or any of its more demanding possible variations next time I visit the area. Loved it!

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Nice trail system. Midweek only saw one other hiker. Quiet and serene. Not recommended for anyone with health issues as there are some moderate climbs and descents. Once leaves come off the ridgeline views should improve. If looking for more distance this loop combines with flt.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

A challenging trail. Lots of ups and downs and I made the mistake of not bringing enough water. If it had been hotter would have not been able to complete the trail. It's very well marked in most places and shouldn't be a problem keeping on trail. There are some pretty challenging inclines but makes for great cardio. Bring plenty of water and allow about 4 hours to do the whole loop.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Great Trail! Abbott Loop will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first experience camping with my dog, Easton. Beautiful scenery, friendly people!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Pretty difficult for a novice in 85F and humid weather, but very doable. To make the entire loop, you must hike a stretch of the Finger Lakes Trail. Some downed trees at this time, but navigating around them is simple and doesn't make you go off the trail too much.

We would probably go again in the fall to take in the new colors. The low valley in the middle of the loop is very serene with a small stream.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Great trail... Great challenge when slippery with leaves. Beautiful sights all around and very quiet. It true that Abbott Loop is 8.4 miles but the orange blazes turn into white as the trail meets up with the FLT and there is still 1.6 miles to go to finish the loop and get back to the parking area. 10 miles total....

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

I hiked this loop this past weekend. I started out on the FLT near Diane's Crossing, hiked to the top and camped near the pinnacles, and then Saturday morning hiked the rest of the loop. Overall it was a great hike! There were a few places that I got off the trail due to the orange blazes missing, or blending into the surrounding foliage. Not sure why the discrepancy, but my GPS logged around 10 miles for the loop including the length of the FLT that intersects it.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

A very nice hike in Danby State Forest. Yesterday was a beautiful fall day sunny and relatively warm (52 F); dead leaves everywhere which made finding the trail, at time, a little difficult but it is relatively well marked (although spotting orange markers on tree in the fall can be tricky at time!). Relatively easy hike that can be completed under 3 hours.

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Camping was great very quiet!

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Hiked this trail for the first time yesterday. Excellent trail! Very hilly and strenuous. Well marked. Beautiful terrain. Looking forward to coming back in a different season.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

If you're looking for solitude & a peaceful walk in the woods, this trail is for you! I did not see another soul the entire hike. Agreed with other reviews that the trail could stand to be marked better in a few places. I came out onto the road & couldn't find where the trail picked up again. I walked the country road back to my car, but would've rather been in the woods.

Monday, August 05, 2013

Overall nice trail that could gain to be marked better in a couple of places... Weather was not perfect but the walk in the woods was great even with a few drops of rain. Definitively worth hiking at different time of the year!

Sunday, May 19, 2013

This is a great hike - has many elevation changes, things to see and the smells of spring in the forest. One of my favorite hikes. This was my third hike here and I finally made it all the way. Very challenging hike but worth every minute. I took several 20 minute breaks to enjoy views or rest and re-hydrate. Had to hustle near the end as my phone battery was near dead. Gotta get a portable charging device for longer hikes or overnights in the ADK.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Relatively easy hike on a well marked trail. Very nice view of the valley below at the picnic table about 2.2 miles from the start,

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Nice hike. Didn't see anyone else on it. Took just about 4 hrs to complete. The ridge was nice but really couldn't see all that much with the leaves on the trees. Got stung by a couple of bees in one section by the creek but the flip side of that is it helped speed things up.