Abbott Loop Trail

Abbott Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Spencer, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing trail running and a challenging 8 miles with the 1700ft elevation gain. I started on the north side of Michigan Hollow Rd. across Michigan Creek. Stay to the left and follow the red blazes. Miles one and two have moderate climbs. The end of mile 3 has a steep descent with most of mile 4 running along creek bed (fast and fun). A big climb at mile 5 leads to a ridge and an eventual fast descent in mile 6-7. Trail turns left and blazes turn white around mile 6.5. The terrain is mostly pine bed forrest with lots of roots and some small stones at points. Overall I felt the trail was pretty technical and fun with lots of twists and turns and patches of roots and rocks throughout. Highly recommended! Enjoy!

Good trail...well defined .beautiful overlooks..a bit buggy near creek section but just challenging enough!

nice well defined trail..beautiful overlooks..just a bit buggy in sections!

A friend and I spent the day doing this loop. We started around 145-2pm and finished up around 630-645pm. The length was good and at the end we had both found it to be an easy trail. I had some difficulty since I have a cane and my right knee doesn't hold my body's weight but even with that I didn't find it overly difficult or hard. It's very well marked and maintained and is easy to stay on trail.

I'd definitely do this loop again and I truly recommend it, just make sure to set aside a decent hunk of time and bring plenty of water.

Well marked and fun to hike! Lots of small pools and watering holes for dogs to splash in on hot days. Be prepared for some steepish trails and some shallow water crossings in early spring or after a heavy rain. Definitely not a flat, straight walk.

Very well marked and maintained trail, beautiful scenery and will definitely do this loop or any of its more demanding possible variations next time I visit the area. Loved it!