Abbott Loop Trail

Abbott Loop Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Spencer, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

A friend and I spent the day doing this loop. We started around 145-2pm and finished up around 630-645pm. The length was good and at the end we had both found it to be an easy trail. I had some difficulty since I have a cane and my right knee doesn't hold my body's weight but even with that I didn't find it overly difficult or hard. It's very well marked and maintained and is easy to stay on trail.

I'd definitely do this loop again and I truly recommend it, just make sure to set aside a decent hunk of time and bring plenty of water.

Well marked and fun to hike! Lots of small pools and watering holes for dogs to splash in on hot days. Be prepared for some steepish trails and some shallow water crossings in early spring or after a heavy rain. Definitely not a flat, straight walk.

Very well marked and maintained trail, beautiful scenery and will definitely do this loop or any of its more demanding possible variations next time I visit the area. Loved it!

Nice trail system. Midweek only saw one other hiker. Quiet and serene. Not recommended for anyone with health issues as there are some moderate climbs and descents. Once leaves come off the ridgeline views should improve. If looking for more distance this loop combines with flt.

A challenging trail. Lots of ups and downs and I made the mistake of not bringing enough water. If it had been hotter would have not been able to complete the trail. It's very well marked in most places and shouldn't be a problem keeping on trail. There are some pretty challenging inclines but makes for great cardio. Bring plenty of water and allow about 4 hours to do the whole loop.

Great Trail! Abbott Loop will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my first experience camping with my dog, Easton. Beautiful scenery, friendly people!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Pretty difficult for a novice in 85F and humid weather, but very doable. To make the entire loop, you must hike a stretch of the Finger Lakes Trail. Some downed trees at this time, but navigating around them is simple and doesn't make you go off the trail too much.

We would probably go again in the fall to take in the new colors. The low valley in the middle of the loop is very serene with a small stream.

Friday, June 24, 2016