Window Rock Trail

Window Rock Trail is a 10.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Abiquiu, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from February until November.

Not a very well marked trail. There were periodic "trail" markings for the first five miles, then nothing. There was a metal rod at the base of an offshoot canyon that might have been the continuation of this trail, but I followed for a while and it seemed to be blocked.

I made it to a rock framed opening at about 5 and a half miles, which looks like the same rock layer that the photos of the window were probably formed from. I never found the rock window, nor could I continue the loop. At 6.5 miles I turned back for a 13 mile total out and back. A little disappointing, but I didn't want to try and follow the loop all the way if it wasn't going to be marked.

Easy grades throughout, trail is basically the dried bed of a river.

Probably a nice hike, but not for mountain bike. Too sandy. Had to turn around shortly into the course.

Challenging hike through a sand wash. We caught on to following the cow trails which made for easy hiking. We missed the turn north because it is not marked so ended doing an out and back 12 mile hike. Very beautiful, peaceful and quiet! Don't do this hike with GPS tracker.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

We couldn't find the window, but it was a lovely hike anyway.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

good hike found it a little difficult to find some parts of the trail