Williams Lake Trail

Williams Lake Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I did this trail during my stay in NM in August and again in September (on the way up to Wheeler's Peak). It is by far one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The hike itself is not too difficult with a mild but pretty continuous incline. The trail is wide and well marked but definitely rocky. Along the trail there are trees and many flowers. The lake is gorgeous, surrounded by mountains and so blue. If I am ever back in the area I hope to camp at the lake... absolutely beautiful!

Don’t be put off by the gravel Jeep trail the first 1/2 mile; gets better as you go. Be sure to hike to the waterfalls beyond the lake. It’s just another 8 minutes using the trail to the right of the lake.

One of my favorite hikes I've ever done, absolutely beautiful at the end!!!

This hike was okay, but not as glorious as all the comments on this page make it seem. Expectation and reality was completely different. The hike up to the lake was definitely rocky like everyone said, and it was steep, but it was not easy as some of the ridiculous comments here say it is. We saw a lot of people suffering on this trail.

The lake was rather average once you get there. It's surrounded by endless boulders and green rocks and colorless mountain peaks without trees; however, depending on your experience this might be nice for some people.

The lake sits in a bowl surrounded by canyons that pick up a lot of wind that shoots across the lake, so be prepared for a windy reward at the top. It gets cold when you crest the top because of the wind, so be prepared to add layers of clothing. We were there mid-September.

If you've ever hiked in the Rocky Mountains, this trail and lake might disappoint you as it did with our party. Also, Taos Ski Valley was terribly boring. There is nothing to do in this little ski town. We planned on staying four days, but checked out of our room after only two days.

We loved this hike, including our 16 and 9 year old kids. The beginning is rocky, so hiking boots really help. It's well shaded, and the lake at the end makes it all worth it.

The terrain was very rocky for many parts so be sure to wear your hiking boots. That was probably the hardest part for us because we wore tennis shoes, so our feet were/are still killing us. The hike was uphill and can be pretty difficult if you aren't acclimated to the elevation or aren't in good enough shape. It had many parts that were so beautiful and the lake was breathtaking. Tons of people on the trail when we went which was a bit of a negative for us.