White Mesa Area Bike Trails

White Mesa Area Bike Trails is a 7.6 mile loop trail located near San Ysidro, New Mexico and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, road biking, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Color isn't the only reason to go. Shape could also be a reason. Put both together and this trail is irresistibly calling, and you're still ignorant of the path itself, which I'll leave as a mystery yet to be trodden.
Regret even in a midsummers day would be challenging to attain. Not many hikes in NM with a palette so diverse and surrounding landscape so beautifully minimalist. This is a hike that a hiker would be negligent to miss...

great ride as long as you go early. Can get hot.

my favorite trail system in new Mexico. the views are unbelievable!

love it, multiple trails, great scenery. a vault toilet or outhouse would be nice, but not available. parking is level and we'll maintained with 2 covered picnic tables.

One of my favorite NM rides by far. Amazing views every 15 minutes.

I loved this trail!!! It was challenging and amazing

Monday, September 05, 2016

Relatively easy hike, beautiful views. Bring plenty of water, it can get hot and there is virtually no shade.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Great View of the Zia Reservation, gods great making

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Great hike. Went left at sign 12. It goes vertical at one point!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Good trail. Get a workout. Take plenty of water and avoid being out there in the middle of the day. My son had a good crash here resulting in a broken collar bone and concussion and we are familiar with trail.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Ojito Wilderness has many great hiking places for Fall, Winter and Spring and White Mesa is one of those places. As a hike, it really isn't that big of a deal. I would call the trail moderate at best, I could see it being difficult on bike. You do need to watch the bikers though because many of them don't watch out for anyone else. There are some fascinating formations in the area too. I'd avoid Ojito in summer because it is very hot and dry.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fun trail! Parts were a little extreme for my intermediate status on the mountain bike. I hiked the bike a few sections. Look forward to going back!

Thursday, December 23, 2010

I have done this trail via my mountain bike a couple of times. Frankly I had the wrong bike for this one, sized incorrectly but that is another story. I think I would enjoy it more on my new 29er but at the time found parts of the trail on the difficult side. You need a good bike and lots of confidence to get through parts of this trail. Most of it is very do-able but the sections that are difficult are very difficult in my opinion. You would have to be close to expert to complete the whole run without having to walk your bike through certain sections such as the hairpin descent at the north end of the trail coming off the very narrow ridge trail at the top of the mesa. A few long climbs and a couple of very steep albeit short climbs.

Sunday, August 01, 2010

One of my favorite places to hike. Formed by the Tierra Amarilla anticline, it provides a lot of variety for hiking. Used mostly by mountain bikers, but hikers are welcome too. Dragonback ridge goes all the way to the river by US 550 and is about 3.5 miles one way. The middle ridge is fun to hike down. The other side of the canyon someone named "The Final Frontier." There are salty springs along the middle of the area. Good place for loop hiking. Hikes can be anywhere from about 5 to 9 miles long depending on which loop you take. Best in Fall, Winter, and Spring... a little hot in the Summer. There are trail maps by the parking area. Take US 550 from Bernalillo and turn on Cabezon Rd. just past mile marker 21. There is a sign on the highway for the Ojito Wilderness (another great place to hike!). Both areas are off the same road. The bike trails are about 4.5 miles from the highway. Enjoy!

Friday, May 26, 2017