Valley of Fires Trail is a 0.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Carrizozo, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

paved

A paved loop trail through a Lava flow.

Beautiful and easy stroll on pavement among an ancient lava field. Gorgeous views and interesting desert life to be found here. A lovely little campground sits up above, and it looks to have decent facilities including showers. We spent about an hour here after a visit to nearby Carrizozo, and were very glad we took the time to visit.

Great little loop on the lava beds. Many birds, reptiles, and insects to see. Path is paved, and you can venture off onto the beds themselves. For the experienced hiker you can consult the park staff about trekking to the vent itself.

A must-see...very interesting. It’s definitely an easy trail. Try not to hit the hottest time of the day during the summer.

Quite interesting walk. The lava fields are great and the walk is easy.I was quite impressed with the 600 year old juniper.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

This was just the road trough the park. We scouted our the camping areas and found a hill to climb with telescopes to view the distant ranges. Great informational map to orient yourself with too.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

We came here to hike because it was rainy and we knew this trail was asphalt and concrete.

We stopped and read every bit of information we could and learned a lot about the area and it’s history.

Lovely area with unique terrain.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Nicely maintained (BLM) 3/4-1 mile paved trail (handicap friendly-including wheelchairs), with 14 'information points' so you learn about the Lava field, wildlife & plants of the area. Takes 60-90 minutes and has good photography capability throughout. Better to go early morning/evening to see/hear more wildlife moving about. There are also numerous picnic & camping areas with water/electric & dump stations, & restrooms/showers. Information/gift shop has BLM maps, as well as other related books-including children's books/toys. Definitely could/will do this again!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My 3 kids (ages 9, 8, and 5) did this hike with our black lab on Mothers Day 2013, and we all really liked it. I had done this hike in the past and remember it being more "out on the lava", which I liked at the time, but the current hike is very accessible and not at all strenuous. This hike actually got my kids interested in hiking and has led to many more similar adventures since. This hike is pretty short and definitely what I would rate as easy, but it is well worth the trip. I've never seen anything else like it!

Saturday, May 25, 2013

This trail starts going down about a 100' bluff; but is not steep at all. A series of switchbacks make the slope very easy. Several markers are along the way; and with the available brochure, you can be informed as you traverse the trail.

Thursday, September 02, 2010

This place is really, really unusual. The path is paved, so it is stroller and wheel chair accessible. The walk will take you over a field of lava for as far as you can see. I especially like how you can see the peak of the volcano that formed the lava flow.

Thursday, May 25, 2017