Upper Faulty and South Crest Trail Loop

Upper Faulty and South Crest Trail Loop is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tijeras, New Mexico that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike with some strenuous uphills at times. We went further than the junction with the Upper Faulty on the Faulty trail, so our hike was closer to 8 miles, but the loop with the Upper Faulty makes for a nice change of scenery on the way back. Definitely be sure to bring lots of water as the South Crest trail is very exposed at times and it gets quite hot.

Some highway noise as noted by others. Light foot traffic otherwise (once past the RC car track?!??) and nice trail. Not a ton of spectacular viewpoints, but a few nice ones. Overall a good day hike.

Friday, May 05, 2017

This hike should really be called the upper faulty trail. It is not marked as it is entitled here. I had a hard time finding the loop because of that. Otherwise it was a decent trail. The views are OK but there was some sort of industrial plant that you could see on most of the lookout areas. Not that much traffic on the trail though which is nice.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Beautiful forest trail. Nice loop for a quick hike, or option to choose another trail and keep going. Well maintained and marked.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Perfection.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Great views and easy to follow trail. It is kind of close to the high way though, so some sound leaks into the hike. Other that that it was fantastic.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Tried to get up south peak from Bart's trail,... Once on Cole's road, the road was blocked by what looked like a disgruntled resident, so as opposed to 'trespassing,' I drove back down to the south crest trailhead just off exit 175. The first five mile were lovely just after sunrise around 6 am. Miles 5.25 revealed a very overgrown trail. The alltrails app shows this hike as a 5.5 mile RT hike, which may be true if you do just the loop, however, if you plan to ascend the summit from this side, the hike becomes significantly longer. I unfortunately went north at the embudito trail turn off, I realized my mistake that I was continuing on the south crest trail but wanted to ascend the peak. I turned back after a half mile and then headed northwest along the embudito trail. This is where it gets a little tricky. About .3 miles or so, the trail had an immediate take off to the north and this entrance is overgrown. I suggest pulling up your alltrails app and clicking record,... this will show you on gps your exact location in relation to this take off so as to not get lost. You need to use the trail titled South Sandia Peak via Bart's trail however to see this route to South Peak. Once atop, the views are wonderful and worth all the effort. My RT with my excursion to the north along the south crest trail put me at about 14.5 miles with about a mile of that in vain as I missed the turn off. The elevation gain was 3400 feet and top was 9785 ft. I used a garmin 235 which utilizes both gps and glonas systems to coordinate location. Anyway, enjoy and happy trails!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

nice comfortable hike

Thursday, May 19, 2016

The hike had excellent views towards the end, but the waterfall lacked it's apeal. When we went it was just a leaky hole in the wall that didn't look anything like a waterfall. The hike was also much easier than I had expected.

Friday, April 22, 2016

This trail should not be rated as difficult. Moderate at most. In the beginning there is definitely some elevation gain, but by no means would I say that someone who isn't in spectacular shape couldn't do it.

There are great views and the trail is very well maintained. The trails out there definitely spiderweb, so I would just be sure to look at a map before hand, or have your app with you for a little guidance if you are unsure.

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Very good hiking trail if you like going up a 1000ft in elevation. It has a mini water fall and the trail is a bit rocky but with some great views.

Sunday, May 21, 2017