Turkey Creek Hot Springs

Turkey Creek Hot Springs is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Silver City, New Mexico that features hot springs and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

I grew up taking annual family hikes to Turkey creek in the early 80’s through 90’s. My last trip was 1998 to show it to my husband. It’s a very dry hot trip any later than early June and it’s extremely important to now put your head In the water or get it splashed in face or mouth due to bacteria in the water. Now that the kids are older I may just have to take them up the trail!

The road in is narrow and hard on your tires and 4wheel drive is definitely a good idea... although I did watch my uncle Clyde make it across the Gila 4 crossings in his Blue 1972 Mustang in 1985;) Definitely fond memories of this whole area!

Would be a 5 but you will need a high profile vehicle, also a longer drive down dirt roads. No one there on Labor Day. VERY nice

Sunday, March 10, 2013

A tricky trail to follow but a wonderful destination. With multiple river crossings and often the need to walk in the creek, Hiking sandals are the best bet for footwear. I did this hike on a warm spring weekend and It was a little unnerving to find that people had driven trucks pretty far out into the wilderness. Before the final Gila river crossing I came across several large parties with sprawling campsites. Once I entered the canyon and began heading up Turkey Creek the hike was much more peaceful. Hotsprings, swimming holes and flat shady camping spots beneath the cottonwoods make this a great overnight.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

My intro to this trail was almost twenty years ago, now since the cat is out of the bag on this unique and beautiful trail I will rave here. Imagine a four season hike through prime riparian habitat with a hot spring destination. We need to keep the public informed of this fragile and still potentially endangered area of the Gila wilderness due to Four wheel access along the canyon bottoms right to the wilderness boundary! I hike in sandals keep to the flood zone along creek to avoid impact on the more fragile slopes and terraces, unless there is a trail.