Turkey Creek Hot Springs

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(19)
Gila National Forest

Turkey Creek Hot Springs is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Silver City, New Mexico that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.9 miles Elevation Gain: 564 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

Most of the trail is all atv road for the first few miles. it crosses the turkey creek and later the gila river numerous times. we crossed 10 times during the first six miles and then had to climb up a waterfall to get to the hot springs. we ended up not making it to the hot springs. the trail becomes completely unmaintained, almost like the forest service doesn't exactly want people going there or something. the real trail continues up the ridge and then back into the canyon and connects to the gila trail system.

we didn't make it too the hot springs, the river was too wide and cold, but the 3 miles we hiked in was very enjoyable. I would recommend it too strong hikers

This is mostly an ohv trail. It doesn't turn into a hiking trail untill 2/3 of the way in. Very busy, people riding ohvs all hours of the night.

Sat Apr 13 2019

Sun Dec 23 2018

Went in December. Water crossings very cold. followed the trail waypoints on the all trails map, got to the end, started to get dark, couldn't find the hotspring. If you have a medium clearance vehicle and some common sense the road is tame. Only at the end of the road there are a few deep ruts. Saw 5 wild turkeys and got growled at by something that sounded like a mountain lion.

Sun Jul 01 2018

I grew up taking annual family hikes to Turkey creek in the early 80’s through 90’s. My last trip was 1998 to show it to my husband. It’s a very dry hot trip any later than early June and it’s extremely important to now put your head In the water or get it splashed in face or mouth due to bacteria in the water. Now that the kids are older I may just have to take them up the trail! The road in is narrow and hard on your tires and 4wheel drive is definitely a good idea... although I did watch my uncle Clyde make it across the Gila 4 crossings in his Blue 1972 Mustang in 1985;) Definitely fond memories of this whole area!

Tue Sep 05 2017

Would be a 5 but you will need a high profile vehicle, also a longer drive down dirt roads. No one there on Labor Day. VERY nice

Sun Mar 10 2013

A tricky trail to follow but a wonderful destination. With multiple river crossings and often the need to walk in the creek, Hiking sandals are the best bet for footwear. I did this hike on a warm spring weekend and It was a little unnerving to find that people had driven trucks pretty far out into the wilderness. Before the final Gila river crossing I came across several large parties with sprawling campsites. Once I entered the canyon and began heading up Turkey Creek the hike was much more peaceful. Hotsprings, swimming holes and flat shady camping spots beneath the cottonwoods make this a great overnight.

Sun Dec 18 2011

My intro to this trail was almost twenty years ago, now since the cat is out of the bag on this unique and beautiful trail I will rave here. Imagine a four season hike through prime riparian habitat with a hot spring destination. We need to keep the public informed of this fragile and still potentially endangered area of the Gila wilderness due to Four wheel access along the canyon bottoms right to the wilderness boundary! I hike in sandals keep to the flood zone along creek to avoid impact on the more fragile slopes and terraces, unless there is a trail.

recorded Turkey Creek Hot Springs