Tunnel Canyon Trail

Tunnel Canyon Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tijeras, New Mexico and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice and established trail. Many mountain bikers on trail.

The trail had a lot of loose rocks and one could easily turn an ankle if not wearing proper footwear. Could not look more than a couple of feet ahead as the footing in some areas was unsure. Encountered 3 bikers coming down the Birdhouse Ridge portion of the trail as I was going up. Couldn't see them until we were atop each other because of the switchbacks & cover. overall, it's a nice trail, except for the loose rocks.

I would have given this trail 5 stars but it was really filthy this time! Dog poop and trash everywhere! Really sad. This used to be one of my favorites.

Did the entire 4.8 loop with the Shep. The first half is straight up. Not fun. Not sure I'd do this one again.

This review is to help trail runners.
First, the pros:
I've never met but a few people on this trail, even on weekends. This includes bikes.
The trails are well marked, so if you want to stick to the loop, you won't have issues.
The scenery is pretty, and you'll get a few really nice views.
The elevation is steady...no real tests if you're an ultra runner or training for races, etc. So it's good for a leisurely 5 mile run.
Cons:
It's extremely rocky and very loose. You can and will twist your ankle on this course. Because of this, you can't really look ahead of you more than a few feet or else you're going to eat it. This is the main reason why I won't run this trail again...you can injure yourself VERY easily. It is NOT smooth.
Birdhouse Ridge veers off to the right almost immediately at the trail head. I suggest going that way first as you'll go up hill for appr. 2.4 miles before turning left on the cut off to meet up with Tunnel Canyon. I believe the cut off is called "West Ridge"...but I"M NOT POSITIVE. It's about .3 miles to Tunnel Canyon Trail. Turn left to go back toward the trail head.
Tunnel Canyon is a flatter trail and descends quickly (assuming you started at Birdhouse). It's pretty fast, although it still has loose rocks. But not as bad as Birdhouse.

This trail is great to try, and is enjoyable...just beware that it is an ankle twister! I don't recommend it for running.
(Just as reference as to "fit level", I regularly run La Luz for training...so Tunnel Canyon isn't challenging).

little over 2 hrs. mostly covered, with some good overlooking views

Friday, November 11, 2016

Really nice hike. 5.0 mile loop. Only saw two bikers. No glass on trail, a little rocky. Recommend going counter clockwise. Hill first, downhill on the way back.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

perfection.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Great trail! awesome views, I like that you can't see the city from here! nice and quick "getaway"

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Great mtn biking trail. Randy and I had lots of fun!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Great variety of cacti, decent elevation gain if you take the bird house loop.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Nice trail. I was hiking with a toddler and everyone else I saw were mountain biking. The terrain is beautiful and it isn't too touch to hike, however there is a lot of glass on the trail. Mountain bikers might not see all the glass, but hikers with children just be aware. There are quit e a few shady spots to stop and rest with kids.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Excellent trail, very interesting with all its turns and junctions. the view isn't bad either!

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Great trail. Really pretty, not hard at all.

Monday, August 12, 2013

great trail with lots of other trails to jump to. all are marked well. take snacks and lots of water you can ride for a while

Sunday, August 04, 2013

I really enjoyed this trail. It is a little difficult and pretty technical but it was a lot of fun.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Since I am very new at mountain biking, I found this trail to be technical. I enjoy it, but it might beyond some of the beginers. I have completed this trail twice, and you have to be careful of all the other mountain bikers.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

It is OK, but like the guy below me, be prepared to share the trail with lots of others.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

To do this trail, be prepared to share with a lot of mountain bikers. It's relatively easy and eventually ends at another trail head down the road. Some wonderful views.