Travertine Falls

Travertine Falls is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tijeras, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Short forest hike to waterfall. Great for kids. Beginning of S Crest Trail 130 from Canyon Estates. Easy .5 mile hike to waterfalls. Easy for kids - can also go to the top of the falls to explore and continue hike up from there.

Small trickle of water, nice greenery, and overall good little hike.

Nice quiet trail with butterflys and hummingbirds . Falls are trickling today.

Quick and easy. You can walk to the top of the “falls” and get a pretty view as well.

The area will need a lot of rain to get that waterfall going again. The creek above the cave is barely trickling. My app measured .6 miles to the cave o/w.

We did the trail at 7am in July, and it was very quiet and shady. Although the terrain is a gentle climb, there is a lot of crushed rock, which would be challenging for those with balance problems. Worth it to proceed past the falls, but there is a short, steep incline that would be difficult for children.

wouldn't call it a waterfall...

The hike itself is pretty and the trail connects with the crest trail which will lead you faulty trail. If you’re expecting to see a waterfall you will be disappointed... However, the views and small cave were awesome!

Great hike loved listening to the birds and the thunder and I got back to my car just in time

Trail is well-maintained. Went with my whole family: mom, sisters, young nephews. Just the right length for a small family outing.

Loved it when I went with my fiancé. Fairly shaded and the little cave feature is a bonus.

Fun

Awesome trail!! Loved the caves and falls

I’ve been down the trail that leads to the falls a few times on different occasions, and it’s a nice easy hike for sure, not too much elevation gain or ups and downs in the trail, although there is a fair amount of sun so it gets pretty warm. The falls aren’t really much when it hasn’t rained for a while, only a small trickle, but if you feel up to it, you can go further along the trail through some trees or even connect with the Faulty Trail or just continue on the Crest Trail.

Great hike for the whole family!

Loved the hike.

This was a great beginners trail. I took a 2 year old, 8 year old and my pregnant sister. It was a breeze.

The falls are usually a trickle, but there's also the tiny cave and a whole lot of fossils in the rocks above and to the right of the falls. Fun for kids to climb around and explore. Some seasons there's wild irsises and grapes here. If you follow the trail up past the falls just a short ways, there's a rock stacking area.

Even in the rain it was a beautiful trail! Can't wait to come back on a sunnier day !

we went mid March and it was beautiful weather. the trail ascended almost the whole way but it was very gradual so doable with dogs and kids. we took our 3 dogs and our 2 year old and it was a ton of fun. there was a small trickle of water out of the rocks but the hike was easy and very beautiful. on the way down we ended up going northbound up 130 for another few miles and came back down. I highly recommend if you're beginning to get into hiking.

Fun and easy hike!

Fairly easy hike. Enjoyed seeing the falls frozen over. Step carefully at the falls as it was icy and slushy there.

Nice way to spend an afternoon

Just imagine an old, fat, & out of shape woman hiking this Trail. It was great. I recommend that some areas be better marked, as I found taking the beaten path wasn't necessarily taking the trail. There is a lot of loose Rock & it would be easy to turn an ankle. It was perfect for me as it was a good physical workout.

Perfect for our 2 and 1/2 year old to be able to hike with us. We had to pick him up a couple of times going uphill, but it was scenic and easy. Waterfall was more of a trickle (in October) but still a fun destination. Our dog loved it too, and we saw a number of other dogs out hiking with their owners.

great trail. Lots of loose rocks in places so watch your step. Good shade on most of the trail. Will definitely return.

We went

Easy to follow and scenic

Falls is a trickle right now. Easy and good for families.

Great hike and enjoyed all the scenery! Clean trail and good for dogs and cats! We have a cat that likes to hike also so it was just right. Good areas to stop and enjoy a quick snack! Easy to find with the directions.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Couple piles of fresh bear scat (been a while, googled to be sure) right off the trail, easy walk with great views for the mile or so I went up.