Tramway Trail

Tramway Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,053 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Tramway Trail offers great views of the lower Sandia Mountains on the eastern Slope. The trail connects with La Luz trail to continue to the top of the mountain. The trail is well marked. There is little shade at the beginning - best to go in cooler months. The trail can be steep in places with lots of rocks so be mindful of your footing.

A solid hike. It’s kind of hard to follow for the first 1-2 miles because of other trails that join or washouts. I would recommend a gps device. There are some solid views of Albuquerque but the trail doesn’t really go anywhere unless you continue up the La Luz trail. The parking at the tramway is now $3.

Was a nice hike for a quick 2 hours with some friends who hadn't hiked before. Towards the end of this trail gets steep, but it's good. Supportive, shoes with traction a must. But a nice day- get out early to beat the heat and crowds.

Hubby and I did this trail 2 weeks ago. Started at 11am and it was a nice workout. We are not accustomed to the elevation so going up was tough for us but we ran coming back down. Hoping to do La Luz next.

This trail was so hot and confusing. Without this app we were lost, we had to use the app to find our way the entire time. Lots of over grown plants and some being cactus.

we hiked up la Luz last year in June and took the tram down. had to get an Uber over to the trailhead parking lot, so this year we took the tram up and hiked down. This is no moderate hike. we had snow and ice and the boulder field was difficult without really taking our time. mileage seems off as we got to the tramway trail back to the tram, and it said 2.6 miles. be prepared, after a long hike down, we encountered lots of upset and down, not well marked, and lots of rocks and boulders to hike around. we got lost a couple of times as there are no clear trail markers and lots of side trails down to the subdivisions. next time would do the Uber back to the car from the trail parking lot.

Very busy trail, mostly flat, not very shady (it was warm!). A few rocks to climb. It was difficult to follow (we wondered often where to go, as many other people in front and behind us). The trail is just above houses. We went up only 3/4 of the trail and back, in 2h05 mins.

Fun trail no snow when I went Dec. 20. Easy to moderate effort. I would do it again.

Great hike! Parked at tramway parking lot and took trail to La Luz. Then decided to go all the way up La Luz. Planned to take the tram back down, but it closed due to high winds. If your plan is to take the Tram back down, be prepared for the possibility it will be closed and ensure you allow enough time to hike down, or get someone to pick you up at the crest house parking lot. Plenty of snow on the way up. Verizon signal on top was good, but very spotty on the trail itself. Warmer temps on the tramway trail, but significant temp drop and wind increase near the top, so ensure you are prepared.

Great trail! Easy to follow with some fantastic views of the city and the Sandias. Definitely pushing moderate-hard in some places. Not many people, which was a pleasant surprise. GPS clocked at 5.2 Miles from the trailhead to the La Luz and back.

it was awesome great views

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

What a beautiful trail! We tried La Luz but there was zero shade and hot already at 930am. Instead, we took the tram and hiked this trail. Lovely but definitely hard. We hiked down the mountain ridge with plenty of shade and then hiked back up. WOW! That was challenging but we had a chance to rest on the north hill, near the ski lifts and observe spectacular distant mountains. The sights were breathtaking and lots of birds if, like us, you love birding. Enjoy!

Monday, May 14, 2018

Boring trail, no good payoff, and mediocre views.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

It's rated moderate but I think some people will find it closer to difficult. There are a LOT of ups and downs and I was definitely glad I was wearing my hiking boots or else I'm sure I would have twisted my ankle a couple of times. It's an absolutely beautiful trail with lots of great views of the Rio Grande Valley as well as the Sandia Mountains. There are quite a few side trails and it's easy to get off the main trail, and by our calculations, we walked 2.5 miles from the parking lot at the Tram to the La Luz trailhead, NOT the 1.7 miles the marker said at the beginning of the trail. So bring lots of water and energy snacks, and hiking poles will definitely help. I wish I'd had a hat on by the end of our three hour out and back in early December. I don't think we will do this trail in the Summer.

Saturday, February 24, 2018

My wife and I ran this trail this morning and we had a blast. Tricky if you a first time trail runner. Well marked and there were only a few fellow humans out there with us. There was a little snow as we approached the La Luz trail.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

we love this trail for the variety of terrain. lots of ups and downs, some shade, twists and turns and rocky at times. There are some turns that are a little tricky and easy to miss. Definitely a need to pay attention. The only down side is the $2 parking.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Bring water, energy dense snacks, camera, and enjoy this moderate trail! Its harder than you think

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Great hike for a morning or if you are short on time. Good for kids and those of us new to hiking and just wanting to get out and see something beyond the city.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

good

Sunday, September 04, 2016

2.6 miles to the la Luz trailhead. 10* incline most of the way there. Good for families and dogs

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Nice fun hike. Not to crazy just right...

Friday, April 15, 2016

Great trail! I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to get out and hike for a few hours.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

it was a great walk and even a nice water stream. will do it again.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Don't recommend this trail in the summer. We did this in July, there was shade in some areas but it was still hot. Trail marking is okay but we did wander off the trail a bit on the way back to the parking lot. Lots of granite and large rocks, therefore it's not flat. Great views!