Tramway Trail to La Luz Trail (Uphill)

Tramway Trail to La Luz Trail (Uphill) is a 8.7 mile point-to-point trail located near Cedar Crest, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Point to Point

I started this trail at 1pm and stopped liberally for pictures. :-) It took me about 4:30 and it was gorgeous. I think I missed the aspens by 2 weeks. There was still slightly yellow leaf litter near the top 1/3 of the trail. The bottom 1/3 was light/mod activity. Middle 1/3rd was nice and easy w/a ton of great scenery. The last 1/3 is where you earn your views. The last mile is relatively flat and breathtakingly beautiful...but miles 6-8 are pretty taxing. All in all this is a wonderful hike. I passed a family doing it w/youngest age 5 and oldest age 68!!! They might have some difficulty with the portions on the rockfall, but with enough time and water I think they'll be fine. I recommend this hike up and the tram down.

This trail up, and our subsequent (and we'll-deserved) tram ride down, made for a great day!
The trail starts relatively flat with minor ups and downs, but after a mile or so it maintains a pretty constant upward grade. It is easy to follow and the views keep getting better the higher it gets. Luckily the final mile or so is flat, because by that point we were pretty well spent.
A couple of cautionary notes:
1. It gets cold on portions of the upper trail where the wind is blowing and you're shielded from the sun, and
2. If your from a lower-altitude part of the country like us, the upper portions of the hike might affect you as it ends at just over 10k feet.

Sunday, August 14, 2016