Tramway Trail to La Luz Trail (Uphill)

Tramway Trail to La Luz Trail (Uphill) is a 8.7 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

Did this hike on Friday and it was amazing, loved every minute of it.

Woof. First morning in town after driving from Buffalo, NY (maybe 500ft above sea level?) so no acclimatization. Got a later start than we wanted (9:50am) so it pretty warm during the least enjoyable parts of the trail. First ~2mi was tough to even find the trail. Scrawl that makes up most of the second half can be tiring if your arches aren’t used to it. I consider myself in good shape and a pretty experienced hiker but tbh it was Pretty brutal but a real challenge. Took us about 6hrs in all (with a few stops for pictures and starts down wrong trails). Took the tram down. Glad I did it once, don’t know if I feel compelled to do it again soon....

You hike 2.6 miles to get to the LaLuz trail. The climb is pretty moderate and there are some rocky areas in the last 3 miles of the trail. Very pretty views throughout.

Incredible hike, this was the first time my hands have swollen up, but just be sure to have water and appropriate snacks, there are several areas to pull off and rest at scenic overlooks, and when you make it to the top, just wait until sunsets to take the tram down and you will witness a marvelous transition.

I started this trail at 1pm and stopped liberally for pictures. :-) It took me about 4:30 and it was gorgeous. I think I missed the aspens by 2 weeks. There was still slightly yellow leaf litter near the top 1/3 of the trail. The bottom 1/3 was light/mod activity. Middle 1/3rd was nice and easy w/a ton of great scenery. The last 1/3 is where you earn your views. The last mile is relatively flat and breathtakingly beautiful...but miles 6-8 are pretty taxing. All in all this is a wonderful hike. I passed a family doing it w/youngest age 5 and oldest age 68!!! They might have some difficulty with the portions on the rockfall, but with enough time and water I think they'll be fine. I recommend this hike up and the tram down.

This trail up, and our subsequent (and we'll-deserved) tram ride down, made for a great day!
The trail starts relatively flat with minor ups and downs, but after a mile or so it maintains a pretty constant upward grade. It is easy to follow and the views keep getting better the higher it gets. Luckily the final mile or so is flat, because by that point we were pretty well spent.
A couple of cautionary notes:
1. It gets cold on portions of the upper trail where the wind is blowing and you're shielded from the sun, and
2. If your from a lower-altitude part of the country like us, the upper portions of the hike might affect you as it ends at just over 10k feet.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017