Tesuque Peak via Aspen Vista Trail FR 102

Tesuque Peak via Aspen Vista Trail FR 102 is a 11.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,168 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I would definitely recommend this trail. I am not a super experienced hiker so it was a good workout. It was absolutely beautiful and had plenty of shade.

Dirt road leading up to the meadow, not a lot of great views. The flies were terrible and the trees are covered in caterpillars. I would recommend finding another hike.

Snow was well packed for most of the way up. Things get windier and more Powdery as you break the treeline. Couldn’t really follow the trail anymore at around 11330 ft, so decided to turn around, but there’s a great lookout point right as you get to that altitude.

Did 5 miles of this one 12/15/18. Weather was perfect. Beautiful view. Will definitely do it again.

Today, there was a lot of snow on Aspen Vista Trail. Poles are very helpful. Remember to change out your ends for the wider rose tip guards to keep your poles from sinking. I forgot to do this so it made the poles a little less effective. I was only able to go about 8.5 miles (roundtrip) because the trail disappeared under quite deep snow. I was easily sinking to my skins by the time I turned around. I only encounter a few people on the trail (including one friendly X-country skier) so the trail was very peaceful. On the way up, when I was working a bit harder, I was able to dressed down to just two layers: a short sleeve athletic shirt and long sleeve cotton shirt. At the top, it was a different story as the wind was howling and quite strong, so I put my down layer back on and wore it all the way to the bottom of the trail. Recommend hat, gloves and definitely sunglasses too. I would also recommend microspikes if you have them as there were some pretty icy parts.

There is a lot of misconception and incorrect information in the reviews below. Aspen Vista Campground has two trails. Aspen Vista Trail, is the forest road (FR 102) that goes from Aspen Vista Campground to Tesuque Peak (the antenna peak). Alamo Vista Trail is trail #381 and goes to the LEFT of the gate that is closed at the beginning of the service road. It climbs the ridge to the left, north/northwest of the forest road and is a steep climb to the top of Santa Fe Ski basin. This trail leads on to the peaks Tesuque Peak, Deception Peak, and Lake Peak, and after a steep 2000+ ft incline reaching Tesuque Peak, you can descend down to Santa Fe Lake that feeds the Santa Fe River. Aspen Vista is a lovely, easy trail. It is an old forest service road that technically isn’t hard. It is wide and well trampled. A bit further in, the road gets more eroded and will pose difficulties for strollers/wheelchairs. Parts are still accessible though. Note also that that the elevation is pretty high for a first day hike in regards to those of you flying in from the flatlands, so you may want to wait a day or two to acclimatize. PLEASE do not confuse these two trails. Educate yourself before heading out. Knowing your geography and location is KEY to survival in the wilderness. In case something happens, your survival depends on the communications you have left behind you. These two trails would mean a large discrepancy in potential search and rescue. Even though Aspen Vista Trail (the forest road) is a popular trail, and from time to time it gets quite busy, predators will and have been sighted there. A morning jogger was ambushed by a mountain lion a couple of years ago on this very trail. As of writing, November 26, 2018, the forests and mountain areas around Santa Fe and Taos are in a season where there have been a lot of bear and puma/mountain lion sightings and kill sites. They are stocking up for hibernation and winter food supply... Weather in the mountains is unpredictable and so are the winter storms, which can show up without warning, even on previously clear days. Altitude adds chill so in the winter you can subtract approximately 10 degrees per 1000 ft to calculate the temperature up there. Note - This doesn’t count the higher altitude winds. Finally - Awareness is the uttermost key to survival and safety conduct in the wilderness. Research, stay well informed, be well packed and well prepared, stay safe, and have fun.

It’s a beautiful trail. It is actually called Alamo Vista trail but luckily there is only little confusion because there is only one trail that starts at the Aspen Vista picnic ground and parking lot. The first snow of the season arrived these days. At first we were disappointed because there were no views. Snow clouds were passing through. We were prepared wearing wind and water proof clothing. It was around 36 F. We walked through different climates zones up the trail which was nice. Towards the top it was 4-5 inches of snow. All the aspen trees had lost their leaves up there. At lower elevations there were several spots where it was warm, no clouds, and sun for short stretches. When there was no snow the beautiful green and yellow of the Aspen leaves were still lighting up the vista. We will definitely be back.

Perfection

Some shade on the lower half in summer, which is nice. Go up early on summer and fall weekends if you want to beat the crowds. The aspen and pine are showing drought stress this year, but it’s still a fabulous hike. The width makes for a more sociable trail. It’s also fun in winter for snowshoes or xcountry skis.

Yesterday I hiked four miles in to the vista overlook. Today I went up to the radio towers and Deception Peak, for a 13.6 - mile hike. Views from the peak were spectacular. This is a popular trail for runners, mtnbikers, dogwalkers, hikers and families with small children. The grade is mellow. This is a great training hike for taller peaks. Come early as the parking lot fills up fast even during the week. This morning a herd of cattle were in the middle of the road. Weather changes fast during the monsoon season. I started with clear skies and ended with storm clouds.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

Trail closed due to fire danger.

Saturday, April 21, 2018

Fairly easy walk up and back, easy on the knees. Dog loved it! Great view

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Nice trail !

Thursday, October 12, 2017

My wife and I completed this trail during a 3 month stay in NM. The trail is a wide and rocky old road, so it is very very easy to follow, but be sure to wear good shoes. Although the incline isn't too steep, it is steady throughout the majority of the almost 6 miles up and will be challenging if you are not used to the elevation. This trail is not shaded in several areas so be sure to wear sunscreen. We went on a week day and there were not many people at all, which was very nice for us and our 2 dogs. Along the trail there are beautiful aspen trees and some creeks. The best part is definitely the beautiful view at the top, you can see so far! Our dogs really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend this hike.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Definitely go during October (I know I will be!) The trees are a phenomenal bright golden color at that time of year. The seasons are currently turning, and the weather is perfect. Starting early in the morning, this hike took me approximately 4.5 hours to complete.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

More of a service road than a trail...it is an active road, one truck came down on my weekday hike. Very nice views, and a few creeks for my dog to cool off in. Steady incline, not too tough if you are acclimated to the elevation. I only went about halfway this time, it gets hot as some areas are not shaded. This would be a nice hike in the fall to see the colorful aspen leaves.

Friday, June 23, 2017

A decent trail with great views. It follows an Old Forest Service road. So it is not really a trail but instead of road. There is no signage for the trail and just start up The forest service road that has a locked gate and a sign waning against parking in front. The grade is easy but steady for the elevation gain. Definitely make the effort to go to the top as the views open up. You will know that you're at the end when you reach the top of the Santa Fe Ski Area. I'm sure that this is a four or five star trail in the fall as there are tons of aspens as the name suggests. PS for Dirtbag campers like me there is great free camping around the parking lot of Santa Fe ski basin.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

I had trouble deciding on a rating here; I hiked the full distance today, and being a nice weekend, the lower third of the trail was very crowded and not really pleasant. The upper half is very nice. I would recommend going on a weekday. If you are ok with the elevation, it is actually an easy hike with no scrambles. Great views.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Nice jeep path and a really nice vista early on in the hike. Only made it half way up. Some pretty waterfalls too that had small travels going up mountain if you want to explore.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

A true gem of a trail in the Sangre de Christo mountains, spectacular views.

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Just beautiful.

Monday, October 10, 2016

My wife and I found this trail looking for the "Aspen Vista trail" (which I'm not sure exists). This trail starts in the big parking lot right near mile marker 14 (between 13 and 14). The actual trail start is just to the left and past the gate which leads most people down a 'trail' that is actually a park road. It starts steep (for us - who are not traditional hikers) but gets easier for most of it until you get to the last 100-200 yds. from the peak of the mountain. In between are forests of Aspens and a beautiful meadow with a great view of Santa Fe. Once at the top, you arrive at the chair lift for the ski area. My Apple watch/phone clocked it at a little more than a mile up and another back. We enjoyed it very much.