Tent Rocks Trail

Tent Rocks Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Cochiti Pueblo, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

cave

Tent Rocks Canyon trail is 3 miles out and back hiking trail through a slot canyon with hoodos and striated rock formations. It is a religious site of the Cochiti Pueblo. The Slot has beautiful examples of rock strata, hoodos, the effects of wind and water. It's a nice climb-about 750 ft climb in about 3 miles. Going though tunnels and up ledges. There are railroad ties to make steps to get to the top where you can see for miles. The loop for handicapped small children is nice, with soaring raptures and cliffs. There's almost something for everybody, except rock climbers and rock scramblers. Stay on the trail as it is a sacred site.

14 minutes ago

Guys, this place does not allow dogs. Only found out when we got here.

I’m sure it’s a great sight to see the Tent Rocks, will have to come back another time minus the dogs!

Nice, easy hike through slot canyon with very interesting geological formations. Very crowded by still worth it. Go early because the park rangers can close the trail at any time - the day we hiked they were stopping everyone near the top by 3:30.

This is two separate trails. The Cave Loop Trail is an easy 1.2 mile trail along the tent rocks, and can be completed separately from the other trail. The Slot Canyon trail is a bit more difficult. The 1.5 mile (one-way) trail is rocky and requires a bit of scrambling to reach the summit, lending the "moderate" rating on AllTrails.com. I definitely recommend the Slot Canyon trail, at least through the slot canyon itself and just a bit further to see the tent rocks up close. The summit is also worth the effort. * bring a little cash for the entrance fee

Beautiful. But...my wife is a fit hiking senior but dislikes scrambling/rock climbs and this climb has many. Too hard on the knees. She hated this trail. Picture climbing stairs two at a time, many 3 at a time, some over 3 feet.
Suggestion to fellow senior Flatlanders: keep turning around to look at the Tent Rocks. They’re behind you. The trip down is the visual treat. The last and steepest climb to the top can be skipped. The top is beautiful , over looking vast desert, but it’s like many summits. It’s the view down the canyon that you’re here for. Once you hit the timber stairs, think about enjoying the view and descending.
It may save your marriage.

Great views and well marked trail. Bring water and show up early as there will be a wait to get in. It was a very nice surprise of a trek.

It was an awesome trail . I would do it again any time. Sights were beautiful early in the morning.

It’s a great trail! All of the comments here were helpful. We thought we might find it too challenging at the top and it was a bit but was well worth it. We’re two relatively fit 68 year olds. I would go a bit earlier next time. We started at 10—an hour earlier would have been perfect.

Nice hike. Very hot in the summer with very little shade..bring water (:

We love this hike!!! Great for kids. :)

Trail closed as of 8/10/18 due to heavy rains. check to see if it’s open before going

This is an absolutely fabulous trail! The end gets really steep with a lot of loose gravel and dirty. It can be slipper and difficult for some. My word of advice would be to go as early as possible - they only let a number of people into the park at a time and the canyon can get extremely congested as it can be only a foot or so wide at points

So much fun for all ages!

This is a must do hike. Great slot canyon and hike to the peak to over look the tent rock canyon and surrounding vista.

Amazing! My favorite place in New Maxico. Be sure to arrive earlier, as the staff began to clear the trail before 4pm. I think it's too early. They should give visitors more time to experience this great spot.

I can't offer a review but a heads up. they won't let you pass the gate after 300 330. Shorthanded and closing early

We loved this hike and did both the slot canyon trail and the cave trail. We arrived just after 8 a.m. on a Friday and had no trouble parking. There weren't many people on the hike up, and it was easy navigating the narrow passages. Quite a bit of scrambling up rocks for the last 15 minutes or so, which definitely required some effort. Slippery going down that same section. Beautiful scenery throughout the hike and at the top. $5 cash to enter. Portable toilets on site. Take water and snacks. Total time was about 2.5 hours for both trails. So glad we went early!

From the tight canyons to the top. Some tough spots. As everyone says “go early”.

Beautifully interesting scenery along the way made this hike amazing. We did it in October and the skies were gorgeous blue and the weather was warm, not hot or humid. Would definitely do this hike again. We got great photos along the way!

Fabulous experience!

Beautiful views from the top and your rewarded with a cool breeze through the slot canyon on your way back down. High traffic but worth it..

This was spectacular. We arrived early and were glad we did. Got amazing photos and a great workout as well. Met lots of interesting people along the way as the traffic picked up considerable by 10:00. Would defiantly do this again. Took us about 2 hours. Take lots of water with you.

Very unique sight, all around a great hike. Highly trafficked but I met some nice folks along the way.
Just be aware of the heat and elevation; bring plenty of water and pace yourself accordingly. Very much worth going all the way to the top!

What an amazing view. It’s quite a steep hike, especially if you aren’t adjusted to the altitude. Go early to avoid crowds and sun.

Amazing trail and fun!!!

heavily traveled. You meet many wonderful people are very helpful

Fun hike, good for kids, get their early so you can enjoy it. Gets crowded in the afternoon.

As a New Mexican I have hiked at Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks since I was a little kid. I now love going with my own daughter, we have yet to take her and have her reach the top, but hopefully soon she will make it all of the way. The climb can be hard on young kids, and hot if you do not get there early enough, but they love walking through the canyon. Bring a camera and let them take photos!

As for myself and my husband, we absolutely love this trail. The view is always worth it and and the canyon is just beautiful. Depending on the time of year I usually wear a light jacket because we go early in the morning and it is chilly in the shade, but as soon as you are out in the sun you start to sweat.

Gorgeous place, plenty of parking and restrooms, get there early if you do not want to risk the parking areas filling up. We like going before it gets too crowded. Depending on the weather, Feb. March and April are all fantastic months to go as it is usually not as crowded as in the summer.

Please be respectful of the sacred nature of this site and stay on the trail and leave no trace. There are signs not to take any of the "apache tears" which are the tiny obsidian rocks and volcanic glass. Please be respectful.