Telephone Canyon, Miner's Road, Eagle Creek Loop

Telephone Canyon, Miner's Road, Eagle Creek Loop is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ruidoso, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,391 feet Route Type: Loop

Trail is just North of Ruidoso, New Mexico. Hwy 40 north, turn left on CR532. Drive to CR127A..to gate.(was locked). Walk half mile to trailhead Trail was listed as #12 Telephone Canyon 1.3 miles moderate to easy. However, switchbacks all had upward angle to top of ridge where trail ended.

If you are looking for something hard to follow and iffy as heck, this is a good one. I did 11km in 2h45m, but I jogged the actual visible parts of the trail. I did the miner's road to crest to telephone canyon. It was easy until I got to the mine road, but I lost the first big switchback and didn't find anything for almost a km. There were quite a few points where I lost it or was not sure where the trail was even though I was pretty sure about where I was on the map. Crest trail was good, and the telephone canyon trail was easy to navigate. I could just suck at following trails, but I had a tough time on this one. Still, it was kind of fun just to do something a little harder than the usual well-marked stroll. I wouldn't do it again but I'm glad I did it.

I’ll be honest here, as local residents we have spent many hours on trails in and around the Sacramento Mountains. In its prime (Prior to the burn) this might have been a great trail option. Since the burn there are hundreds of fallen trees across the trail and while it wasn’t a difficult trail, it just wasn’t pleasant to hike at all. The elevation change is inaccurate as well. We began at 7500 and peaked at 9450. We lost the trail twice due to snow, at the junction of T25 and T16 coming back down. At some points the trail was so small and snow covered, that we just made our own util we could get back on the actual trail. I wouldn’t recommend this for anyone without some experience and good footwear. We completed the trail in 3hr 30 minutes (7 1/4 miles total) and are relatively experienced hikers.

Friday, March 16, 2018

I parked at the (locked) gate near the end of FR 127A and then walked about a half mile to the Telephone Canyon Trailhead. You kinda meander past some houses, and then the trailhead is behind the last cabin. I forgot to take a picture, but at about .5-.6 mi there is a spring on the left of the trail, just as you're making a switchback to the left. I started seeing/hearing a lot of birds at around 7,500'. As you make your way to the Crest Trail, to the right you can see the Monjeau Lookout Tower. It was pretty windy up there. so other than just a few stops to take in the view and snap a pic or two, I made my way to the Miner's Rd Trail asap. I initially missed the turnoff to Miner's Rd Trail and ended up having to backtrack a little bit. Miner's Rd Trial is pretty rugged. (Once you find it) it's really easy to follow, it's just that this area was burned out pretty thoroughly in '12 and there are still many, many downed logs to navigate. It starts to get a lot prettier towards the end of the trail. There are several springs and the water was flowing at a decent rate the day I saw it. There's a pretty (small) waterfall where the Miner's Rd Trail and the N Eagle Creek trail come together. From there, it's just a simple walk of about .75 mi back to your car. It took me about 4.5 hrs, but I stopped to sit and watch the birds, I stopped to have lunch, and a few other times just to take everything in and enjoy the view so don't pay too much attention to my time. I enjoyed this hike, but I prefer the Argentina/Crest/Bonito Loop. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 15, 2018

This trail was beautiful but with all the debris, it was very difficult to get up the mountain. There also is no clear trail so be sure you have your map ready. I really enjoyed this hike, but it should be marked as Hard because I took novice hikers with me and they really struggled.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Hiked up Telephone Canyon, which was relatively strenuous as it was an incline the whole way to Crest Trail. It was mostly burnt out, but that presented some great views of the snow-capped Lookout and Sierra Blanca peaks. Once got to Crest Trail and back down Miner’s Road, it was easy. Tough at points to follow Miner’s Road because there is little defined trail, and a lot of fallen trees, so be sure to have your phone charged up.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Even though it was heavily burned out, it was still really cool and different to see. We parked at the gate and walked a half mile to the Miners road trail head. The trail was not marked very well and the paths tend to disappear due to fallen trees (lots of trees to crawl over and under). Needed to use my GPS to keeps us on the trails from time to time. We hiked it to the trail split and took it right on the Telephone Canyon trail which took us back to the road and back to the car. Took about 4 or so hours.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

We went up Telephone canyon, which I imagine would have been beautiful before the fire, but was mostly sad. The crest trail gave us a view of the other side of the mountain that was beautiful. The miner's road was beautiful with fall colors, but the rocks were too big to step on like gravel and too small to go from rock to rock...it's an ankle twisting nightmare. The last stretch down Eagle Creek was gorgeous and made us glad to be finishing on a high note. Overall, this was a nice hike. The gate was closed to the little community of cabins around the trailheads, so it adds an extra mile (1/2 mile in, 1/2 mile out) to the hike.

Monday, February 22, 2016

It's a nice trail,mostly burnt trees but was a good trail ,it's back and forth along side of the mountain s till you get to the trail end we continued onto lookout peak and back 8.6 miles

Saturday, June 09, 2018