Tecolote Trail

Tecolote Trail is a 2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandia Park, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pretty easy hike for beginners (me). The smells and sights were lovely and there wasn't much traffic. There's also a cave close to the start which is fascinating. And I was proposed to during this hike, so that just made the whole thing wonderful.

Was a nice easy to moderate hike. I would rate it moderate because the trail is pretty rocky in some areas and requires some dexterity. Hiking boots definitely are a plus.

The turn off to the parking area isn't marked so be on the lookout for it. There are also no picnic tables, so if you want to relax and hang out a bit, bring chairs. Finally, the bathrooms were locked and not available.

Was an enjoyable hike with Husband, 9 yr old daughter, and myself.

Loved it!! A nice easy trail for my kids to do, and not so long that they couldn't finish it. There were definitely a lot of rocks along the trail. It was beautiful scenery in the forest with trees, wildflowers, and even a cave along the trail close to the start of it! I would definitely do this hike again. It took us a little over an hour to do the entire hike (although I wanted to go faster but was going the pace of my son).

One little note - the parking area was kind of rough and there were no signs to indicate that it was a trailhead there. We found a sign just past the outhouse (that was locked) to indicate the trail.

Lovely hiking trail with lots of nice birds and wildflowers. It is rocky but not tough. Great views

One of my favorites in the Cibola National Forest. It is also not too difficult/long so it makes for a nice short hike- but great if you want a little break from the city. There is a lot of shade cover during the first 1/2. The views at the top are beautiful. We spotted a horned lizard!