Tecolote Trail

Tecolote Trail is a 2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandia Park, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail is closed until further notice as of July 8th, 2018.

Lovely trail. Not too busy. Amazing views especially from the summit. Pretty wildflowers and cool temperatures.

easy hike with some amazing views!

great for running, despite the rocks it's doable.

Pretty easy hike for beginners (me). The smells and sights were lovely and there wasn't much traffic. There's also a cave close to the start which is fascinating. And I was proposed to during this hike, so that just made the whole thing wonderful.

Was a nice easy to moderate hike. I would rate it moderate because the trail is pretty rocky in some areas and requires some dexterity. Hiking boots definitely are a plus.

The turn off to the parking area isn't marked so be on the lookout for it. There are also no picnic tables, so if you want to relax and hang out a bit, bring chairs. Finally, the bathrooms were locked and not available.

Was an enjoyable hike with Husband, 9 yr old daughter, and myself.

Loved it!! A nice easy trail for my kids to do, and not so long that they couldn't finish it. There were definitely a lot of rocks along the trail. It was beautiful scenery in the forest with trees, wildflowers, and even a cave along the trail close to the start of it! I would definitely do this hike again. It took us a little over an hour to do the entire hike (although I wanted to go faster but was going the pace of my son).

One little note - the parking area was kind of rough and there were no signs to indicate that it was a trailhead there. We found a sign just past the outhouse (that was locked) to indicate the trail.

Lovely hiking trail with lots of nice birds and wildflowers. It is rocky but not tough. Great views

Sunday, July 02, 2017

One of my favorites in the Cibola National Forest. It is also not too difficult/long so it makes for a nice short hike- but great if you want a little break from the city. There is a lot of shade cover during the first 1/2. The views at the top are beautiful. We spotted a horned lizard!

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Loved this trail. I went earlier in the morning and did not run into anyone during my entire hike. Easy trail with lots of senery and views. Some spots are a little rocky but overall the footing is good.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Beautiful, easy hike with some fantastic views of the Sandias! Pathway is a little narrow throughout, but it's thoroughly enjoyable!

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

First trail completed with the family. Our 4 year old didn't seem to have much trouble. Trail was 1 mile, then a .25 mile loop, then the same 1 mile back. Plenty of nice views and scenery. And a small cave!

Monday, July 10, 2017