Stewart Lake Trail

Stewart Lake Trail is a 11.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Head north out of Pecos on 63, through Tererro, to Cowles. Park at the Cowles parking area on the Pecos River.

Very easy trail for beginners to learn the ropes of backpacking! Also very gorgeous and perfect weather. I recommend late spring-summer-early fall.

I hiked this last weekend. the first I have hiked in the Pecos and I was left speechless and breathless.
its moderate difficulty and long if just going in and back out. so worth it though. amazing views. aspens. creek. lakes. if you have not hiked this trail...fix that and soon!

My ten year old son and I had a great time on this trail and up by Stewart Lake (we did easily find a spot 200 feet away).

The trail is not super difficult and offers amazing foliage and a couple great views along the way, not to mention great shade.

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Beautiful lake, great fishing

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I went camping for the weekend and was unexpectedly asked to go on a day hiking adventure which ended up to be Stewart Lake. The views hiking on the trail leading up to Stewart Lake was beautiful in every direction. Not many hikers on the trail so I imagine we went at a great time. The Lake was peaceful, a great place to relax and read for a bit before descending back to our campsite. Beautiful place to see!

Friday, January 31, 2014

I hike a lot and I have to say this was one of the toughest hikes I have done. It was harder for me than a few 14er's I have done. My dogs were with me and we did it on Jan 30th. What made it hard was hiking in the snow the last few miles. Be prepared once you start at the Pecos River you need to hike up. You will see a sign to Windsor Trail. Know that you will not see a sign again for about six miles. Go left and it will take you to Stewart Lake.
Once I got up to the top with my dogs I was exhausted and I'm in incredible shape. We sat down on this bridge to have some snacks and take pictures. Well right away I saw to coyotes (might have been wolves) walking on the lake towards the other side. One stopped dead in its tracks and looked at us for a while. Then I saw another one cross the lake. From experience when I have my dogs the coyotes like to circle back around and come up from behind you. Because of these times I do hike with a 9mm. We got our stuff and headed back down the mountain. Did not see anymore wildlife but there was fresh Elk droppings all along the trail.
It's a pretty hike but you can see a lot of damage from the fires. Also many big trees are down on the trail.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011