Stewart Lake Trail

Stewart Lake Trail is a 11.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Head north out of Pecos on 63, through Tererro, to Cowles. Park at the Cowles parking area on the Pecos River.

One of the few trails that open early in the Pecos Wilderness due to the southern exposure on Winsor Ridge. Beautiful aspen stands and some Gambel's oak for fall colors, and I've seen coyotes, deer, elk, and grouse, so it's a great trail for wildlife viewing. I've also heard turkey's in the trees. Stewart lake is beautiful, but not many places to camp because of the F.S. regulation of not being able to camp in the lake basin.

Yooooooo why did none of you reviewers warn me about how there's not actual signage for Stewart's? You have to follow the sign for Johnson, apparently. I'm not sure, because we never made it to Stewart's. Us passing the sign and heading several miles in the wrong direction turned this into more of a failed suicide attempt than a one-nighter, and since Stewart's is apparantley a bit beyond Johnson we just collapsed at the first lake we got to.

That being said, my review should reflect the actual trail. Which is lovely. Very gradual incline the entire way, several beautiful aspen stands, and multiple water sources along the way. The information calls this "heavily trafficked," and I would agree if you're going on a weekend. We hiked in on a Sunday and passed many groups on their way , but had the whole lake to ourselves that night. Don't trust the distance estimates of people hiking out - they've been hiking downhill the whole time!!

Anyone know if the trail is passable at the moment. Snow and trees down?

This was my first ever back packing trip, and this was an excellent trail for it. The signs aren't marked along the trail for Stewart, but the map at the trail head tells you which trail to take. The trail is very well maintained at least, and when I got to Stewart Lake itself, I basically had the whole thing all to myself. It was a gorgeous hike, and I appreciated the return trip being almost entirely downhill. That 2000 foot elevation climb is pretty rough.

Gorgeous hike and very gradual incline the entire route; however, the route is more like 7.4 miles from the marked trailhead to Stewart Lake for a total of about 15 miles round trip, for your planning purposes.

Very easy trail for beginners to learn the ropes of backpacking! Also very gorgeous and perfect weather. I recommend late spring-summer-early fall.

Friday, October 14, 2016

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

I hiked this last weekend. the first I have hiked in the Pecos and I was left speechless and breathless.
its moderate difficulty and long if just going in and back out. so worth it though. amazing views. aspens. creek. lakes. if you have not hiked this trail...fix that and soon!

Monday, September 26, 2016