1965 feet

My husband and I hiked this on Sunday 4/15 with our dog. We found it to be a nice hike and a reasonable distance from our house in Albuquerque. From 131, follow signs for Red Canyon campground. The gravel road is in good condition and should be passable for all types of vehicles. There is plenty of parking by the trailhead. The trails start at the same place, and you will soon come to a sign to go right for Spruce Spring and left for Red Canyon. We started on Spruce Spring for a counterclockwise loop. It took us 2:20 to reach the summit of Gallo Peak and 1:40 to come down. Spruce Spring and the Crest Trails are very easy to follow. There is a rock cairn indicating where to turn off the main Crest Trail if you want to go to the peak. (Which I definitely recommend, as the views are excellent in nearly every direction.) Red Canyon Trail had a few more downed trees across the trail but was also fairly easy to follow. There was a little bit of water in the creek. We encountered only two other hikers with dogs and a group of bow hunters who came up on horseback. We didn't see any wildlife (thanks in part to our dog, I'm sure) but did hear birds. All in all, a nice, peaceful hike with great summit views.