Spence Hot Springs Trail

Spence Hot Springs Trail is a 0.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 121 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

To access the trailhead look for the Rancor sign and then take the next right turn into the parking lot.

We hiked the gorgeous trail on Dec 28, under snowing skies. It got a little slippery at one point but over all it's an easy trail.

Went to Spence hot springs trail in early october and the leaves along the road up from Abq were just begining to turn yellow. They will probably look amazing in another week or two. The trail itself is not well marked from the road. It is about 10 minutes north of Battleship rock and has a clear parking lot from the street. The trail is steep in some places with a moderate descent to a stream, followed by a bridge and a steep and wet ascent to the hot springs. My 5 year old had no problem with it, and my 2 year old was slow going, but enjoyed it. The trail did not have too many steep drop offs (where little kids might fall), but there was maybe a spot or two near the beginning. This trail is not long, but will be challenging for people who are out of shape. Overall, very nice hike!

Trail was steep but moderate Had a great time

Be prepared for underage teen drinking if you go on a weekend. Little muddy but if you live in the area it’s a nice hangout spot

Beautiful view but springs were kind of gross. Socks, litter, etc. around. More barely warm than hot too or at least the lower spring.

Trail was a little muddy in places. Lots of traffic coming to the spring as we were leaving. Pretty view of rolling brook from over the bridge.

Short trail with nice views. Being that the trail is short, prepare for crowds. The springs are warm. The trail itself is muddy and rocky with a couple of steep areas.

I love this trail & spring, the rain beckoning me to come today. It had been raining all morning but that's what made it.... speechless. The mist cloaking the mountains was breathtaking. The stream one crosses at the bottom was strong, the winds brisk and the memories timeless. Once again, I'll see you soon!

I was really excited about this trail, but my experience was completely ruined by some deplorable human beings who had been there before me. There's a tiny little cave you can go into and soak, but it smelled like smoke, there was trash all around, some tissue even floating in the water, but the worst was a used tampon that was stuck to the cave wall with a glob of poo. Whoever did such a thing thinking that was ok or somehow funny does not deserve to live among us... Anywho, it's not there anymore. (Your welcome... and also "thanks" to "Nick" who left his plastic Ziploc bag there so that I had something to grab it with.) I had brought a garbage bag with me and left with it being fairly full. If this place was cleaner, it would definitely be a better experience. Though the other disappointing factor was that the water wasn't really hot except for in the cave or right at the entrance to it. Also, just FYI, it's tiny. I'm guessing if you go on a weekend, you might have to wait your turn.

Thu Oct 25 2018

For all those worried about the caution sign of biologics, if you are worried don't ever go swimming in a lake or river because it is worse than a natural spring. By law they have to put the caution, same as cigarettes and yet people smoke or medications and even alcohol. Dont get so wrapped up and avoid these beautiful springs due to the sign. You wont get sick by hanging out in the springs.

Tue Oct 02 2018

I loved finding this hot spring during my trip to New Mexico! This trail isn’t as well known so for the most part, I enjoyed the pools alone. After a while a man came and enjoyed the spring up top. I noticed he took all clothing off. If planning a trip here please be aware that many people come here to soak up the natural minerals and often do so naked. Probably not the best for young children to see! Otherwise, a beautiful area and amazing trail!

Tue Sep 25 2018

Nice trail short the springs were clean and clear. The was was as warm as a nice warm bath.

Fri Jun 22 2018

Nice down then back up trail, but despite the pleasant scenery, the springs are not worth the trip at all. Gray water and warnings of biological hazards before you leave the parking lot.

Mon May 28 2018

Spence Hot Springs is a beautiful trail. I live in the area. Yeah, it is pretty sad when people trash the place treating it like some commodity provided by nature that they heard about on line. My partner and I visit when we can to clean up plastic water bottles, debris and baby diapers (child-friendly) that people seem to like abandoning there. Underneath all that is an amazing landscape apart from the hot water coming out of the hillside that people like to bathe in. Wild peppermint and arugula growing there too.

Tue May 08 2018

This place is incredibly beautiful and serene but has been abused by people who leave trash behind. My daughter and I picked up 3 full trash bags worth of garbage off of this trail the other day so please keep it clean. Don't leave trash behind and if you see trash, pick it up!

Tue Feb 20 2018

Pools were kinda warm and the area was really trashed. Lot of broken glass, nasty clothing, dirty diapers and even a bag of dog poo in the lower pool. Pretty gross overall...

Sat Feb 03 2018

The trail head all trails brought me to was definitely longer than .3 miles with a significant incline (more than 120 feet for sure). We didn’t even make it because my friend didn’t have the right shoes on and was sliding down the trail because it was so steep. We were pretty bummed we couldn’t make it.

Tue Jan 30 2018

Hiked this in January! Trail was totally ice, but we managed to find a way up! It was totally worth it. Gorgeous views. Pools were warm but not hot which was ok because with the hot sun shining down they felt perfectly refreshing with enough warmth to keep you comfortable but not overwhelming. We had the pools all to ourselves! Highly recommend!

Mon Jan 15 2018

Did the hike as driving through. Quick easy turnoff. Nice rock formations.

Fri Dec 29 2017

Very easy and beautiful views but hot springs are luke warm at best. We took a picnic lunch and enjoyed the great views and unseasonably warm December weather but didn’t bother to even dip our feet in. Simple half mile trip is worth it for the views.

Tue Aug 29 2017

"Warm springs" at best. The area is kinda trashed too. Should not be a destination point for anyone and you may want to drive past it anyway.

Sun Aug 20 2017

Well..... went here and someone warned about how nasty it was. To be honest, it wouldn't have been terrible if someone didn't ruin it by literally taking a dump right next to the springs. Close enough that the water was lapping it up. So gross. Thank you person who has no respect.