South Sandia Peak via Embudito Trail #192

South Sandia Peak via Embudito Trail #192 is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,789 feet Route Type: Out & Back

if I could I'd give this trail 7 stars. The hike is equally divided in three zones, dessert, forest and above treeline. The trail is very well constructed and despite the elevation gain is moderate. The views from the peak are outstanding.

This is my favorite trail in the Sandias. This trek was cut short but I hike to the peak regularly. The trail is quite difficult and has wet slippery snow. Spikes were necessary. Super windy too; I had to chase my hat!

Great hike. Way more than 11 miles; closer to 15 round trip if you go to south peak, but well worth it. The views are spectacular. I would bring micro spikes if you do it in winter, a lot of the trail is essentially on the edge of a cliff in deep snow/ice.

This was a great hike and my longest to date. It was 30 degrees when we started and it seemed to be mostly in the shade, so bundle up in layers and then take them off as you start to warm up. The views of the city along the way are amazing. It was tough on my knees and the way down made me really sore, but if you want a trail that is a step up from the Pino Trail (and with better views) then this one is perfect. We only passed 2 people the entire time we were on the trail. Was not that hard to stay on trail. There were a couple wash outs, but just continue straight when you get to them and periodically check your app to make sure you're on the right path. Really rewarding when you get to the top. Before we set off, one of the neighbors from the surrounding houses at the trailhead told us she saw a bobcat that morning, so we just took extra precaution with our dog, but never ended up seeing any animals. Bring water, bring snacks/food, and some good shoes/socks cause you may get blisters on the way down! We did this the first week in November and there were patches of snow, but overall, highly recommended and beautiful hike.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

This hike is quite strenuous at the beginning because the first 2.5 miles are climbing through mostly desert and rocky areas. It doesn’t start to vary until you enter the forest. There are intermittent views at the beginning and the top but that’s not really what this hike is for. There are better views, the hike itself is lovely. Be careful if you hike in summer like I just did. I had 2 liters for 5 hours and it was just enough. The last 3 miles back to the car in 100 degree weather is brutal so be mindful of that. Use lots of sunscreen and bring extra water.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Really enjoyable hike. Views along the ridge to the south peak were fantastic. The rocky stretch at the start is very hot with very little cover from the sun. If you're returning in the heat of the day, be prepared.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

A beautiful and challenging hike. And a great workout with beautiful views. Also lots of critters to enjoy. Saw a red tailed hawk perched on a tree right beside the trail. Saw the most gorgeous horny road I’ve ever seen as well as a gopher snake. All in the same day! Overall a beautiful day on a beautiful mountain.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Beautiful scenery in the forest canyon and breathtaking views the at the top. Not an easy hike but well worth the trek. I will say there is something a little creepy about the rock caves here and there. Combine that with the cougar prints and bear activity and it gave me the heebies while hiking alone as the sun set.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Tough trail, lots of boulders but with nice breaks of relatively level sand. Lightly trafficked so you’re not passing or yielding to other hikers all the time

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Great hike! Lots of views and super enjoyable!

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Good clean trail......but not alot of thrills. ......good If your walking your dogs, or rehabbing an injury, or with young children........

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Well maintained trail. Good for kids.

Friday, November 17, 2017

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Steep but nice views up top

Saturday, August 19, 2017

A great trail up and down the mountain. Some challenging points at the beginning/end of deciding the best way around the boulders in the arroyo. It's great to be back in the pines and scrub oaks that cover the whole valley between the ridges.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

good balance of inclines and level hikes

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Good times!

Friday, May 05, 2017

Hadn't been on this trail for a while but enjoyed it yesterday. It's definitely on the difficult side especially for the first 1.5-2 hours but most of the minor obstacles thin out after a couple of hours. I remembered​ to wear some light weight gloves. They will save your hands after holding on to rocks at certain places. Take plenty of water, energy stuff and make sure to leave enough gas in the tank for the return trip.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Completed this trail for the first time today. It's been on my list after La Luz and Pino. Took about 3.5 hours to get to the top including breaks and being ~sidetracked~ for about 30 minutes. If you have a great eye for your trail and a great sense of direction, you should be okay. However, if you are like me, it's a good idea to check the app periodically. There are definitely some confusing areas. Not my favorite when it comes to views, but overall, it was an awesome time and a killer workout. Check it out for sure!

Friday, March 10, 2017

First time in a long while since I've been hiking. Did the trail to try and build my legs back up and the uphill was very challenging but it was rewarding to do.

Monday, December 26, 2016

Barb Roberts is talking about Embudo trail Not Embudito Trail-directions are correct.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

There seems to be some confusion here....The Embudo trail starts at the top of Indian School (or the top of Menaul if you want to go an extra 1/2 mile or so) and the Embudito Trail begins north of the top of Montgomery.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

the views are beautiful. I have fun every time I hike this trail.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Around 2006, I drove to Embudo canyon late at night and slept in an arroyo because I was real depressed. The next morning I decided to walk up the trail to the top of the mountain. At the top, I got on this other trail I encountered, and it ended up going way southeast. By the time I got to the bottom, it was dark and I was in Tijeres. The only person I could reach to pick me up was my ex girlfriend. I didn't eat anything all day. She took me to Jack In The Box and I ate a ton of gross food. Ha.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

I love this trail! I haven't been able to hike the full distance yet, but one of these days!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Great and easy hike for everyone including the pups! Easily accessible and a beautiful place to explore

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

It was a fun first hike in Albuquerque!

Friday, December 25, 2015

Been hiking this trail since 1987. It's my favorite! Second favorite would be Piedra Lisa.

Saturday, March 07, 2015

Apart from the Piedra Lisa trail, this is my most favorite trail on the westside of the Sandias. mainly because of the scenery and lack of 15,000 hikers like La Luz and other westside trails like embudo that is nearby. it is a rugged trail that requires scrambling in places.