South Piedra Lisa Trail

South Piedra Lisa Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,309 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Awesome hike, 4.4 miles round trip. No bugs did this hike in September not sure if that’s why. my dog had a great time.

Absolutely loved it. The trail was easy to follow, got there early so it wasn't too hot. The views are breathtaking, and very much worth the work to get up the trail.

Very nice trail that offers a steady uphill hike once you very about a half mile in. Be sure to go a bit past the top of the Piedra Lisa North trail and scramble up to sit a while on the rock outcropping there, which offers a lovely 360 view.

This trail is beautiful and shaded most of the morning. We got to the trail head at about 0630 and had shade till about 0900. Get there early as the parking lot was full by 0900. We did not see any bugs at all. Bring water and a snack to replenish your energy as this climb is steep for about 2 miles. We are out of shape and in our 40’s, so this hike kicked our butts a bit. Beautiful views of the city at the top.

great hike! very shady, up and down small hills. lots of gnats! will take bug spray next time.

great trail! up and down. cool and shady. lots of gnats! take bug repellant. We'll definitely hike it again!

It's a well-marked trail with steady incline throughout. By 7:30am, the sun started to hit parts of the trail and the bugs started coming out. I would recommend to get started early!

Probably on my top favorite trails. Beautiful scenery. Tons and tons of gnats. Would have turned back if a friendly hiker didn't let us use his bug spray. Thanks friendly hiker!

Definitely one of the best hikes I've ever done! The most gorgeous views the entire way and especially at the top! Recommend going early as we started the trail around 11:00 AM and it was super hot. Fortunately, there were shaded areas along the way. Got confused about the trailhead because as you pass the information bulletins there's a path right there that's blocked off. Just walk to the dirt road about 15 more feet and right across from the lot (mountain side) is where you start. Bring plenty of water (more than 32 oz). There were also tons of little gnats flying around so bug spray is a MUST (had to use at least 3-4 times)! No parking fee was a nice little surprise, too.

Nice and shady if you make it before 10:00. Lots of bugs as well once the sun was up.

Beautiful trail! So many desert blooms and plenty of shade along the way. Would recommend going in the morning to beat the heat and trail traffic.

All time favorite if looking for maximum elevation is short 4.25 mile round trip. Garmin records consistently 1200 plus feet of elevation from new trail that starts across dirt road from parking lot to Northeast. The views up top are amazing and the hike provides all sorts of technical terrain to run. I’ve ran this rt about 25 times now and continue to come back. If looking for a short run under an hour and getting a nice quad burn, highly recommend. I’ve r

This trail was tough going up! Almost constant gain in elevation. Some shade, gets cooler as you get to the top, but I’d say go early or on a cloudy or windy day. Loose gravel coming down, but nothing treacherous. Bring plenty of water. We only saw 3 other people and hiked it for over 2 hours. Didn’t reach the summit, but that’s ok. Our old dog was wearing down. I recommend hiking boots, but there was a trail runner in Teva style sandals!

This is a great dog-friendly trail. short enough to do in a few hours, but long enough to make you tired. Overall great hike. just don't miss the start of the trail head on the road.

walked the trail today with some good friends and my wife. The trail is a climb, some areas required a little scramble. incline is constant but not a killer. views are spectacular, very close up views of the two teeth like protected rock cliffs of the sandia, the internal valleys hidden in the mountain range, and to the west is AWESOME!! although I whined a little... can't wait to come here afain.

This trail was great! We took a wrong turn and I forgot to turn of the recording, but overall it was amazing. The trail is steep at first, after about two miles in it gets shady and nice. Amazing views the whole way and lots of greenery.

This trail is awesome. My wife and I love this trail. If y'all want to check out our video go here: https://youtu.be/U8v9v64pMps We want to go back and do the other side of the which is not as long.

This is my favorite trail so far! I’ve hiked every weekend the last two months, and this is it!! The best views and well marked trail. The first mile is fairly flat and the last mile and a half has a pretty good incline. I would say moderate to hard at this point. It is beautiful though and worth it!! Bring water! You crest if you go to the end of the trail and it is spectacular!! Best view! Enjoy!

today was cloudy and overcast so a bit chilly along the way; started snowing at the top. overall, moderate as it was a lot of uphill climbing and not much flat, if any. AWESOME trail. Overall time: 1 hour 35 min 1 hour up, 35 min down.

This is a great trail for picturesque views and there is a lot of shade. It’s a pretty steep grade on the way up and a bit rocky at times, so I would recommend hiking poles. I didn’t bring any, but I wish I had. The view at the top was good, but I preferred the views on the way up myself.

Very manageable in 2 hours and very rewarding views considering the moderate difficulty and convenient location.

Great trail awesome views for what you put in!

Great hike! Well maintained trail, easy to follow. Decent vertical and distance, super views of the city, Rincon peak to the west, the needle and the shield to the east. A neat hike would be to do an up and over to the Placitas side...maybe next time.

I like this trail because it is a great workout, traverses high dessert to lush forest. Typically easy to follow, and not terribly impacted by users. Not like some of the other lower trails that are like freeways. Probably because this trail is a bit rugged and the first two miles are fairly open, thus hot in the summer.