South Piedra Lisa Trail

South Piedra Lisa Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail is gorgeous and the view from the top is worth the trip up. The trail gets steep at times but it is very doable for most.

good views

My wife and I are here from North Ogden Utah. We hiked South Piedra Lisa with local friends. We liked the trail. We hiked the trail at a casual pace in about three hours. We found that the trail had portions of steep grade and loose gravel. I would recommend trekking poles to help stabilize your footing. The flora is marked by junipers, prickly pear and staghorn cacti. Respect the cacti that line the trail. The slightest brush will result in a painful encounter with tiny clusters of needles in your skin.
You are rewarded with a beautiful view of the valley and spires at trails end.

The east part of the Rincon Spur Trail ends at the Knife Edge of the Shield (furthest waypoint on recording). This is 0.8 miles from the south Piedra Lisa Trail junction. You can hike and scramble with minimal climbing for about 2/10 of a mile up the Knife Edge to about 9000 ft elevation. After that you would be free climbing. Unmatched views, serious wind and a plenty steep enough trail await.

Hiked this middle of September and enjoyed it very much! Great views! Distance out is about 2.2 miles and a little steep in places. Nice shade through the trees which is a must when it's 85+ degrees and sunny!

Fantastic views of Sandia Peaks. Fairly shady but excellent work out!

Great hike beautiful views.

Nice and shady

Did this hike yesterday. This was my first hike in the Sandias since moving back to New Mexico after 50 years away. Spent 2 hours on the ascent, stopping lots for photos, and an hour down. Excellent trail through the pinyon-juniper woodland. The view at the pass is amazing. Next time I want to do the Piedra Lisa trail from the north trailhead above Placitas, over this pass, and repeat this descent.

The first half of the trail is a strenuous uphill but with a good amount of shade. Once you reach the top there are amazing views of the city, and if you follow the short Rincon trail, you come upon an outcrop of rock that is easily climbed to afford even better views. Overall a very enjoyable hike!

Decided to hike this trail with our dog today, Saturday 4/21, when our car couldn't make it out the rough road to a different section of the Piedra Lisa trail. The road to this one is paved, and there is a good-sized parking area at the trailhead. I liked it a lot better than most of the other trails I've done in the Sandia foothills. It is shaded most of the way. The trail is easy to follow (not a convoluted web of trails!). We went past where the AllTrails map ends to a nice outcrop with views. It took us 52 minutes each way. Most of the challenge comes from the elevation gain. We started around 10:20, and several other groups were out, but it was not bad at all for a Saturday.

Take water , snacks and get ready for a pretty intense hike, a good amount of climbing and amazing views. stay on the trail and be mindful of your GPS or alltrails app as there are places where it is easy to get lost. my buddy and I took 2 cars and had a few "accidental detours" that added 2 hours... ouch

Gorgeous views, quiet trail - not a lot of traffic. All uphill until you turn around- worth the scenery

Coldbeans!

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Checked out the trail today! A gorgeous morning on a great trail. It was a constant incline but nothing strenuous. The views are great. Traffic was low on the way up, but higher on the way down. Snow on the top. Can’t wait to hike it again.

Friday, January 12, 2018

Well marked trail, steady incline, great views. Snow at the very top.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

This is now one of my favorite hikes in Albuquerque! Beautiful.

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Kinda hard (constant incline), really beautiful.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

After Pino, this is my favorite trail in the Sandias. The views are spectacular, particularly from the rocks at the very top. Continue to the right (SSE) when you come to the marker post on the ridgeline, and scramble up the rocks about a tenth of a mile on (the highest accessible point). Outstanding.

Friday, September 22, 2017

Challenging but worth it!!!

Thursday, September 07, 2017

Love it!! Good, intense climb up and finishes with a great view. Good,fast out and back. Get in nature and a workout and still have time to do the rest of your life.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Wasn't my favorite, but will be better when it's cold outside.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Tough climb but worth it for the amazing view at the top!

Sunday, September 03, 2017

This is a very nice trail with good shade. We hiked from 9 to past noon and found plenty of shade both ways. The main trailhead is under construction right now, but there's an alternate trail head just across the street. It is well marked as is the rest of the trail. View at the top is nice, but not as wide open as I'd hoped.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Fun hike and great views, trail gets skinny at some spots but overall it's a good one.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Hiked this last weekend, 8/5/17. Great trail though coming back down was difficult due to slipping on loose rock and soil. Fantastic views! When you get to the crest turn right and go past the Piedra Lisa North trail to the rock outcropppings. Incredible views.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Great views (close ups of sheer rock faces and distant mesas) and challenging incline. The trail is gravely in a lot of places, so those wearing running shoes may slip a lot. In winter and early spring there may be snow and/or ice in shaded places.

Monday, July 24, 2017

This is definitely one of my favorite trails in the Sandías! The way up is quite the workout but the views are worth it for sure! And there's plenty of pretty and shady spots to take breaks along the way.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Great hike! It is definitely quite an uphill climb, but the views at the top are worth it. You can see quite a bit (up close and personal) of the Sandias, pretty much all of Albuquerque, and some mesas and mountains to the north and west. The drive up to the trail is also gorgeous. I would recommend going early in the morning if you are going in the summer. I would highly recommend this hike for anyone who enjoys a good sweat and would also say that this is one of my favorites in all of the Sandias/Cibola National Forest. I lovingly call one of the peaks of the Sandias "the nub" and I got to get very close to it, so I was happy.