South Crest via Tramway and La Luz Trail

South Crest via Tramway and La Luz Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,910 feet Route Type: Point to Point

urban hike

Great trail! Climbing from the base of the mountain all the way to the top was a great experience. Challenging hike but well worth the effort

There's a reason this trail is very busy. If you have only time for one hike in the Sandias and are in good physical condition then this is the hike for you. When you stand at the bottom and look up there doesn't seem to be a way up the impressive wall, called the shield. You ascend via multiple canyons and you pass some of the most iconic formations in the Sandias. You will be tired when you get to the top but the hike will remain unforgettable.

Just went up today. Trail was snow packed and hard to navigate. The whole area just went through a winter storm and deep freeze for about the past week. The trail was easy for the first 3 miles then 3 ft deep snow Banks on North side of trail parts disabled us from continuing. Beautiful hike though there was a plateau you can reach and see some amazing views of the Sandias.

Incredible hike. Started at 9am and the weather was comfortable the whole way up. Mountain provided plenty of shade. I actually split off at the end of the La Luz to go up to crest and think it was worth it. Had a nice lunch at the Cafe at the top and then took trail along the ridge over to the tram. Allowed me to knockout the stone cabin as well. Adds about 2 miles, but if you have the energy I'd recommend it.

Thursday, September 06, 2018

Great hike, some up and down, great views of the city and the mountains! Some shade, but a hat and water definitely needed.

Friday, June 01, 2018

Did this hike on Friday and it was amazing, loved every minute of it.

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Woof. First morning in town after driving from Buffalo, NY (maybe 500ft above sea level?) so no acclimatization. Got a later start than we wanted (9:50am) so it pretty warm during the least enjoyable parts of the trail. First ~2mi was tough to even find the trail. Scrawl that makes up most of the second half can be tiring if your arches aren’t used to it. I consider myself in good shape and a pretty experienced hiker but tbh it was Pretty brutal but a real challenge. Took us about 6hrs in all (with a few stops for pictures and starts down wrong trails). Took the tram down. Glad I did it once, don’t know if I feel compelled to do it again soon....

Monday, May 07, 2018

You hike 2.6 miles to get to the LaLuz trail. The climb is pretty moderate and there are some rocky areas in the last 3 miles of the trail. Very pretty views throughout.

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Incredible hike, this was the first time my hands have swollen up, but just be sure to have water and appropriate snacks, there are several areas to pull off and rest at scenic overlooks, and when you make it to the top, just wait until sunsets to take the tram down and you will witness a marvelous transition.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

I started this trail at 1pm and stopped liberally for pictures. :-) It took me about 4:30 and it was gorgeous. I think I missed the aspens by 2 weeks. There was still slightly yellow leaf litter near the top 1/3 of the trail. The bottom 1/3 was light/mod activity. Middle 1/3rd was nice and easy w/a ton of great scenery. The last 1/3 is where you earn your views. The last mile is relatively flat and breathtakingly beautiful...but miles 6-8 are pretty taxing. All in all this is a wonderful hike. I passed a family doing it w/youngest age 5 and oldest age 68!!! They might have some difficulty with the portions on the rockfall, but with enough time and water I think they'll be fine. I recommend this hike up and the tram down.

Thursday, November 02, 2017

This trail up, and our subsequent (and we'll-deserved) tram ride down, made for a great day! The trail starts relatively flat with minor ups and downs, but after a mile or so it maintains a pretty constant upward grade. It is easy to follow and the views keep getting better the higher it gets. Luckily the final mile or so is flat, because by that point we were pretty well spent. A couple of cautionary notes: 1. It gets cold on portions of the upper trail where the wind is blowing and you're shielded from the sun, and 2. If your from a lower-altitude part of the country like us, the upper portions of the hike might affect you as it ends at just over 10k feet.