South Crest Trail Loop

South Crest Trail Loop is a 5.5 mile loop trail located near Tijeras, New Mexico that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Beautiful forest trail. Nice loop for a quick hike, or option to choose another trail and keep going. Well maintained and marked.

Perfection.

Great views and easy to follow trail. It is kind of close to the high way though, so some sound leaks into the hike. Other that that it was fantastic.

Tried to get up south peak from Bart's trail,... Once on Cole's road, the road was blocked by what looked like a disgruntled resident, so as opposed to 'trespassing,' I drove back down to the south crest trailhead just off exit 175. The first five mile were lovely just after sunrise around 6 am. Miles 5.25 revealed a very overgrown trail. The alltrails app shows this hike as a 5.5 mile RT hike, which may be true if you do just the loop, however, if you plan to ascend the summit from this side, the hike becomes significantly longer. I unfortunately went north at the embudito trail turn off, I realized my mistake that I was continuing on the south crest trail but wanted to ascend the peak. I turned back after a half mile and then headed northwest along the embudito trail. This is where it gets a little tricky. About .3 miles or so, the trail had an immediate take off to the north and this entrance is overgrown. I suggest pulling up your alltrails app and clicking record,... this will show you on gps your exact location in relation to this take off so as to not get lost. You need to use the trail titled South Sandia Peak via Bart's trail however to see this route to South Peak. Once atop, the views are wonderful and worth all the effort. My RT with my excursion to the north along the south crest trail put me at about 14.5 miles with about a mile of that in vain as I missed the turn off. The elevation gain was 3400 feet and top was 9785 ft. I used a garmin 235 which utilizes both gps and glonas systems to coordinate location. Anyway, enjoy and happy trails!

nice comfortable hike

The hike had excellent views towards the end, but the waterfall lacked it's apeal. When we went it was just a leaky hole in the wall that didn't look anything like a waterfall. The hike was also much easier than I had expected.