South Crest La Luz Loop Trail

South Crest La Luz Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bernalillo, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy forest hike above 10k feet. From the trailhead head south along the paved trail to the right of the restrooms. A few hundred yards along the trail the pavement will turn to dirt. There is an intermittant rail, always stay to the left of the rail. At 0.25 miles the trail will turn sharply left and ascend a stairway. Take the stairs to the top. At the top turn hard right and look for the fork in the trail. Take the right fork to Crest Trail #130. The trail will switchback through the forest most of the rest of the hike. At 0.55 miles the trail forks. Follow the left fork for Crest Trail #130. At 1.6 miles reach the Sandia Tram Platform. Return via Reverse Route.

Great trail with amazing scenery. Trails are clearly marked and not too difficult. Once to get to the peaks of each mountain its steep but not overwhelming. Many areas to stop and get a snack or take a water break.

This may be my new favorite hike in Albuquerque. We took the tram to the top of the Sandia Crest and hiked to Kiwanis Cabin to watch the sunset. The weather was perfect at the beginning of July and the trail was easy enough to bring an out-of-state visitor along with us for the view.

Nice mellow hike for me, my wife Cheri, and our dog Jasper. Loved it, Hot in the valley but cool up on the mountain.

very nice and easy hike

Thursday, December 08, 2016

Fantastic views of the crest! The snow made it feel and look like a winter wonderland. It was very cold that day so make sure to wear layers if you are going in the winter.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

excellent and well worth it saw 3 mule deer great views from the crest.

Monday, September 05, 2016

beautiful hike. hard to follow the exact trail, some signs had trail names, some numbers. We ended up hiking almost 5 miles. gorgeous area, great views, tons of wildflowers, Aspen trees, different mosses and lichens. Bathrooms and trash at trailheads and at halfway point at High Finance restaurant. Bathrooms are in the lower level, you do not have to enter the restaurant or make a purchase to use them.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Great hike on a Sunday! We started from the top of the tram and dropped down the La Luz trail. The up to Sandia Crest and back to the Hi Finance for lunch!

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Nice easy trail

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Great trail with great views

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Beautiful views!!!!

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Nice trail. Good views.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Great day, well groomed trails

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

I went with a couple of friends after work today. Still some snow on the trail in places, which can make it kind of slick. We had a great time. I think if I hike that trail again I will go backwards and knock out the La Luz portion of the loop first.

Sunday, October 18, 2015

I loved it. It was the perfect time to go. The trees were changing colors. 10/17/2015

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Fun family trail. We did it when mom and dad lived in Pako, behind Sandia mtn.

Monday, June 08, 2015

Nice shady trail, probably on the easier side of intermediate.

Monday, November 10, 2014

My children and I went this weekend and had a great time. It was a crisp 44 degrees and the sun was shining. I had no idea the 10,000 foot elevation would have such an effect on my breathing.

Saturday, September 06, 2014

My husband and I were married here 20 years ago! Going back in a few weeks with the kids and can't wait to take this hike!

Sunday, March 23, 2014