Soledad Canyon Loop

Soledad Canyon Loop is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hike through a narrowing canyon to a natural water fall. Begin the hike at the trailhead. Stay to the right, follow the trail counter-clockwise. At 1.5 miles there is a junction where the trail divides. You can follow the loop to the left, or continue straight ahead to the old rock house and the waterfall. At 1.63 miles you reach the old rock house. Continue down this trail to the waterfall. The trail will head to the right, up a small hill, then left into a narrow dead-end canyon. The waterfall is all the way back. To finish the loop, return the the junction where the trail divided. Turn right, and follow the trail back to the trailhead.

Great up and down easy. Blue sky everywhere!

Amazing! Great trail, kids had a blast and not too strenuous! If you like geocaching there a some great ones along the trail!

Perfect for a morning stroll. Nice and easy. I went in March and saw a half-dozen bird species. Great with kids.

Easy and nice trail. Excellent views

Nice, easy hike. If you feel adventurous you can get off the beaten path and explore a couple of caves along the way. Some of the cave hikes are quite a bit harder with steep inclines, loose gravel and some scrambling required.

Excellent trail for running. There is plenty of shade and a waterfall. I'll make this one of my regular run spots.

This is my favorite trail in the Organs. Best in late summer.

10/10 would recommend. The trail offered lots of views from the canyons, the waterfall and the mountains (if you are willing to go off trail and climb some boulders). We were there on an early Sunday morning and basically had the whole place to ourselves. Late afternoon we headed back and the trails started to get more packed and the parking lot was full. The trail is a very loose rock/gravel so make sure you have a good supportive shoe. We saw a couple of mule deer and really enjoyed our time there.

Really fun trail ! A lot of poop on the trail, so watch your step lol.

Great hike

A short hike packed with pretty sights.

This probably one of my favorite hiking areas in the Organ Mountains. Beautiful scenery and the trail is not very difficult. Have hiked here at different seasons.

This was a great trail for my husband and I who are in our 60's. Not too much steep terrain but definitely a little altitude climb. The views are great but one thing I noticed is that people don't pick up after their dogs! We probably passed by 20 dog poops ON the trail. We even passed one couple who's dog had just pooped on the trail, and they left it there. We offered them a dog poop bag and they thanked us... but once we passed... they didn't even pick it up! PEOPLE - if you don't pick up... at least push the poop off the trail!!!!

awesome trail, alot of potential for bouldering, climbing, lead climbing.......nice 3 mile trail. ....will definitely do this one again !

Really gorgeous place for a hike

perfect place to go hiking with your family, beautiful views

So impressed with these views! we went to the right at the first fork and hiked the long way round to the waterfall. you could basically walk straight to it, but you'll miss some of the best views if you do! The waterfall was low for our visit, but the area where it is was gorgeous and shady. perfect spot for a post hike snack/ picnic!

Nice views. Beautiful area surrounding waterfall.

Beautiful hike. Great views and the waterfall is beautiful

I hiked the loop in about 1 hour, but I missed the trail that goes straight back that leads, as I imagine, to the waterfall other hikers have reported about on this website. I didn't even see the trail. No wonder I got back in about an hour, I missed half of the trail only to find out what I had missed while writing this review. Lol. You have to laugh:P I still had a wonderful time on this trail! All in all, I was out on the trail about 1h15m, stopping at one of the higher elevation points near the back of the loop to take in the beautiful surrounding view and eat a delicious Nature Valley bar! Great view of the valley, and the mountains! Virtually no shade throughout the trail so I was thankful to have sunblock and a hat! God bless!

Simple beautiful hike. Great for a quick trail run as well.

great morning day home! Waterfall was running

One of my favorite places to go and relax. My dog loves going out there. Waterfall is gorgeous right now with all the rain.

Good trail. Definitely in the easy/moderate spectrum. The waterfall was running somewhat with some recent rainstorms having hit the area. Take lots of water and sunscreen, the sun will cook you!

Did this trail on a whim and was not as prepared as I should have been.

The trail was in great shape - I, on the other hand was not!

It was sunny with little cover and my body does not react well with heat. I also had a poor choice in footwear. I had enough support in my Sketcher tennis shoe but the rocker heel was horrible for the thick layer of stone of the trail.

We had originally wanted to include the loop off the right side of the trail but opted against it and went straight to the waterfall. We visited during the monsoon season so the falls were fantastic (and worth the struggle I endured to get there).

On the way back from the falls we continued off to the ruins and then back to the main trail.

Beautiful views, rock formations, outcrops and flora.

We came back a second time about 3 months and 30 pounds lighter (and with the right shoes) and knocked out the longer loop too. Though the falls were not nearly as spectacular, we did get to encourage a beautiful tarantula to cross the path while we watched, and captured a video.

The one thing we did notice upon or return was a lot of trash being left on the trail. That was a bit disappointing. We did our best to pick up what we could along our way.

not very shady, be sure to bring extra water to deal with the heat.
the Canyon is beautiful,ans a perfect place to break and have lunch or a snack before heading back towards the trailhead.

The end when you get to the Canyon is very beautiful! But first part of hike has no shade so go early to beat the heat or cover up with sunscreen!

Went with the family (kids are 8, 5 & 6) on an early morning summer hike. It was really beautiful watching the sun come up over the mountains and to see 3 frolicking deer! No water on the falls.

Was a great hike and lots of fun! Too bad the waterfall want running.

Walking on this trail is something that my granddaughter Natalia and I enjoy a lot. We did it again in a beautiful day, fresh weather although it was almost the month of may. This time the waterfall had very little water, but nice to see and enjoy climbing the rocks .Ideal hike with beautiful views to do with the family, we will definitely visit it again.