Soledad Canyon Loop

Soledad Canyon Loop is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hike through a narrowing canyon to a natural water fall. Begin the hike at the trailhead. Stay to the right, follow the trail counter-clockwise. At 1.5 miles there is a junction where the trail divides. You can follow the loop to the left, or continue straight ahead to the old rock house and the waterfall. At 1.63 miles you reach the old rock house. Continue down this trail to the waterfall. The trail will head to the right, up a small hill, then left into a narrow dead-end canyon. The waterfall is all the way back. To finish the loop, return the the junction where the trail divided. Turn right, and follow the trail back to the trailhead.

This was a great trail for my husband and I who are in our 60's. Not too much steep terrain but definitely a little altitude climb. The views are great but one thing I noticed is that people don't pick up after their dogs! We probably passed by 20 dog poops ON the trail. We even passed one couple who's dog had just pooped on the trail, and they left it there. We offered them a dog poop bag and they thanked us... but once we passed... they didn't even pick it up! PEOPLE - if you don't pick up... at least push the poop off the trail!!!!

awesome trail, alot of potential for bouldering, climbing, lead climbing.......nice 3 mile trail. ....will definitely do this one again !

Really gorgeous place for a hike

perfect place to go hiking with your family, beautiful views

So impressed with these views! we went to the right at the first fork and hiked the long way round to the waterfall. you could basically walk straight to it, but you'll miss some of the best views if you do! The waterfall was low for our visit, but the area where it is was gorgeous and shady. perfect spot for a post hike snack/ picnic!

Nice views. Beautiful area surrounding waterfall.

Beautiful hike. Great views and the waterfall is beautiful

I hiked the loop in about 1 hour, but I missed the trail that goes straight back that leads, as I imagine, to the waterfall other hikers have reported about on this website. I didn't even see the trail. No wonder I got back in about an hour, I missed half of the trail only to find out what I had missed while writing this review. Lol. You have to laugh:P I still had a wonderful time on this trail! All in all, I was out on the trail about 1h15m, stopping at one of the higher elevation points near the back of the loop to take in the beautiful surrounding view and eat a delicious Nature Valley bar! Great view of the valley, and the mountains! Virtually no shade throughout the trail so I was thankful to have sunblock and a hat! God bless!

Simple beautiful hike. Great for a quick trail run as well.

great morning day home! Waterfall was running

One of my favorite places to go and relax. My dog loves going out there. Waterfall is gorgeous right now with all the rain.

Good trail. Definitely in the easy/moderate spectrum. The waterfall was running somewhat with some recent rainstorms having hit the area. Take lots of water and sunscreen, the sun will cook you!

not very shady, be sure to bring extra water to deal with the heat.
the Canyon is beautiful,ans a perfect place to break and have lunch or a snack before heading back towards the trailhead.

The end when you get to the Canyon is very beautiful! But first part of hike has no shade so go early to beat the heat or cover up with sunscreen!

Went with the family (kids are 8, 5 & 6) on an early morning summer hike. It was really beautiful watching the sun come up over the mountains and to see 3 frolicking deer! No water on the falls.

Was a great hike and lots of fun! Too bad the waterfall want running.

Walking on this trail is something that my granddaughter Natalia and I enjoy a lot. We did it again in a beautiful day, fresh weather although it was almost the month of may. This time the waterfall had very little water, but nice to see and enjoy climbing the rocks .Ideal hike with beautiful views to do with the family, we will definitely visit it again.

Flat and easy, with nice rock scenery. Hailed on our way down with little protection, so be sure to check the forecast beforehand!

Gorgeous views close to town. Great birding.

We read the reviews (which mentions that small kids and elderly people can easily walk this trail) and that it was rated at level 'easy.' We expected a paved walk, but it was gravel. We understand kids can walk it because it's flat and it's not like you have to do rockclimbing, but looking back we didn't think it was super easy. We took a few hours getting to the waterfall and back, so that alone for us made it harder than easy (but not challenging either). We walked during the hottest part of the day and we had to take some breaks.

Views were great, plants and mountains beautiful, nice breeze. Our favorite part was walking back when the sun was going down. Take flashlights just in case you hang out at the waterfall longer than you expected. Waterfall, by the way, is maybe half a meter wide, at most, when we went there in March. People without this app asked us where to go a few times.