Sierra Vista Trail to Webb Gap Loop

Sierra Vista Trail to Webb Gap Loop is a 11 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chaparral, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trail starts from the Sierra Vista Trailhead. Walk by the Sierra Vista Trail heading north, in about 4.2 miles you will turn to your left still by the Sierra Vista Trail (do not turn to your left at the post trail sign located before the 4.2 miles), in about 0.4 of a mile you will turn to your right leaving the Sierra Vista Trail behind. Walk on the road that goes to one side of an old fence. In about half of a mile the road continues to your left; do not follow the trail shown on the map. You will arrive to the top of a little mountain, and then walk down to your left until you find the intersection with the Sierra Vista Trail. Starting at this point you will find several posts indicating the direction of the trail which now is a narrow hiking trail well-marked not the road. Crossing the Webb Gap and just walking on this narrow trail, you will reach again the Sierra Vista Trail now heading south; in a short time you will reach the point where you started. The entire trail is almost flat, except when you walk up to cross the Webb Gap. This makes the walk not difficult and you have time to contemplate the amazing views of the mountains in the New Mexico Side and also in the Texas side, both with beautiful desert vegetation. If you do this trail in the summer, bring plenty of water, you will not find shades.

I’ve been out to the Gap to ride and hike several times now and enjoy it. I rode on a Saturday morning and didn’t see a soul whereas Franklin mountains would be chock a block full. I got all the way to the top of Webb mountain and decided to turn ; I didn’t want to take my bike among the Spanish Daggers. ( the trail disappeared) You can tell not a lot of people hike this

I drove my SUV until the intersection with the road that lead to the North Antony's Nose, and I started the trail form that point. Very nice trail, I did it in January with my dog Lucas and the weather was perfect. Although I did not walked the entire trail I could enjoy the wonderful landscape, the mountains looked beautiful! I will come again soon to walk the full path.