Sierra Vista Trail: Dripping Springs to Soledad Canyon

Sierra Vista Trail: Dripping Springs to Soledad Canyon is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 521 feet Route Type: Out & Back

It’s a nice trail that’s well marked. If lucky, you will see wildlife. We saw deers. The end of the trail is pretty. We met a couple of bikers on this trail. Overall, it’s a good workout.

Well marked trail that was easy to walk. Wide open terrain with no shade, so you'll need to wear a hat and sunscreen. There's a great rock formation not far from Soledad Canyon that was a lot of fun to climb. Only saw one other person on the trail, but that might be because we started our hike around 1130 and it was already hot. Enjoy!

Another review states that this is "more like a walk than a hike". While this is not a hike in that there are no rock formations to scramble over and the trail is very well-defined without brush to battle, the terrain is very rough. There is enough elevation gain to know you're climbing and a good portion of the trail is rocky. I would consider it a walk/hike hybrid. Beautiful desert scenery with a possibility of seeing wildlife. I heard coyotes howling, then a lone one trotted past me. I also saw two groups of javalina. I'm definitely doing this one again, hopefully farther that the 12.5 miles I was able to walk before giving up; i walk a LOT and this trail showed me who was in charge. It wasn't me..

More like a walk than a hike. Other than the distance I would rate as easy not medium. The prettiest part is the south end so if you only have time to do part of it start there. No trouble staying on the trail.

Saturday, June 02, 2018