Shelter Caves

Shelter Caves is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 872 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

I enjoyed this hike. Went with three of my kids aging from 4 to 14. Took us three and a half hours but we took our time and spent a good portion rock scrambling and admiring the beauty of the caves and scenery. It got chilly in the late afternoon. Kids did good. Little one got tired and complained towards the end.

Really really good hike/trail run. Absolutely beautiful. Will def do this again!

This one is really cool...took us a couple of tries to get it right. I personally think it’s a little harder than I expected it to be...fun exploring back here IF you leave yourself enough daylight too.

The road leading up to the trail can get a little rough, so if you do not have an off-roading vehicle be advised that you may have to park closer to the turn off. This is a nice trail, plenty of inclines and declines to keep you working, the view is gorgeous! I had a lot of fun! There was a lot of wildlife in bloom during the time I went, as well as a stream!

Awesome trail. Definitely not a popular one. The road that leads to the trail head is pretty rough.

My second hike here. I hope to return to summit the peaks above this trail.

Thu Jun 14 2018

Good, challenging hike! I would rate harder than moderate.....

Sun Apr 22 2018

Beautiful area, after the initial hike up the hill the grass meadows and boulders are spectacular. Great spot for rock climbing/scrambling. We'll definitely be back to roam around and enjoy the scenery

Sat Mar 10 2018

Lovely hike. The trail is narrow but easy to follow. There are portions at he beginning that have a lot of loose rock so you do have to watch your footing carefully, especially on the way back when it’s downhill. There are no trail markers but they aren’t really necessary, just would be helpful at the fork where you have to bear right to get to the cave area. There are some great views along this hike, with cool rock formations and rock/desert canyon areas. We would definitely do this again and recommend to others.

Sat Mar 10 2018

Steep in some sections but very well marked for such a lightly traveled trail. Starts off with lots of cliff faces and river beds. Closer to the cave there are several large slick rock formations to climb.

Sat Feb 24 2018

Very nice trail, rocky in some sections but easy to walk. The area with the big rock formations is amazing and invite you to climb them and walk at the top. Me and my granddaughter Natalia visited it at the end of February, the day was with a little cold wind, surely the next time we will climb and walk on these rocks. It is interesting to get to the cave, but the most spectacular are the views of the mountains from that place.

Thu Feb 22 2018

After about 1.25 miles the trail gets overgrown and hard to follow. When we followed what looked like the trail and compared where we were with where the app said we were, it appeared we were off the trail so we turned around before we reached the caves.

Sun Jan 21 2018

This trail is very narrow, some areas are maybe only 2 feet wide on the edge of the mountain. It's mostly very rocky, some lose rock, lots of steep areas. Not many areas to stop or have shade. Definitely not wagon or stroller friendly.

Thu Dec 21 2017

Interesting trail not too difficult. Nice rock formations and also cacti along the way.

recorded Recording - Dec 08, 12:23 PM