Santa Fe Canyon Preserve Interpretive Trail

Santa Fe Canyon Preserve Interpretive Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Nice trail but no sign stating trail was closed at the end. Made it almost all the way around the loop and had to go back. Be careful with little kids as there are some points where there are no barriers that could result in a large fall.

Beautiful and manageable trail. Went with my mom because we are only in Santa Fe for a weekend and wanted to just walk without passing an art stand or gallery, nothing wrong with those, just time for some nature. The signs about the dam were interesting. It is a loop trail but one part was closed. We started at the trailhead in the parking lot, counter clockwise around the lake. Once around on the far side we came to a trail closed no trespassing sign. We followed back to the Ball trail that took us to the road and that brought us back to the parking lot. Not sure if that closure is permanent, but some more signage would be helpful. We were not the only hikers who were confused. Otherwise beautiful spot so close to downtown.

Hiked it in the snow. It was easy and had some cool views. Signage can be a bit confusing.

It is an easy hike. I think it will be more beautiful during summer when there is more green.

It was beautiful but it needed more signs near the end.

Easy, flat. nice view of old santafe dam

This is a great beginner hike. The parking lots has plenty of spaces and the trail is well marked until the end where it is a bit confusing how to get back to the parking lot. Now that I know the landmark, I won't have a problem. The trail is lush and green and a lot of fun to explore. I didn't see a ton of wildlife, but more than most of the mountain trails without water features.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013