This listing and some of the reviews seem to be referring to several different trails. The route shown here is definitely not easy. My husband and I are experienced hikers, and we lost the trail a few times. I would rate it as moderate most of the way for the routefinding needed.

However, as written, this route has grades of more than 50% near the end. That is because it is a class 3 scramble. Definitely NOT easy or even moderate, especially when two people are trying to get a 60 pound dog up the rock face. We kept checking the AllTrails app thinking we were off trail, but we were right on route.

The "no dogs" tag on AllTrails is also incorrect; the sign in the parking lot states all El Malpais trails are dog friendly (but to consider the trail surface, obviously). This trail as written was completely fine for our dog (except for the scrambling near the end); the trail literally only crosses volcanic rock twice for maybe 10 feet total. Most of the trail is sand/sandstone.

Note that there are not views of the Ventana Arch from this trail. (Though there are a couple smaller natural arches that are cool!) Overall a nice trail; just be prepared, as the route currently shown does not match the rating or description.