Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Learn more

Sandia Crest via Pino Trail #140 and South Crest Trail #130

hard(23)
Elena Gallegos Picnic Area/Albert G. Simms Park

Sandia Crest via Pino Trail #140 and South Crest Trail #130 is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,051 feet Route Type: Point to Point

We started at the picnic area, took the Tram down and took an Uber back to our car. This is more like ten miles from the picnic area to the tram. My watch stopped working at 8.25 (with a long way to go). My Health app on my showed it as 10.15. The Pinot trail is gorgeous and enjoyable. And when you start the Crest trail, the views are incredible. But very quickly you’re in the forest. The Crest is more difficult than you expect, and not as rewarding because there is not the views of the Pinot. My husband kept having to stop to catch his breath. They sell oxygen cans in the gift shop at the base of the tram. So clearly elevation is an issue. But my husband has not had trouble with the elevations during hikes in Utah, Colorado, Washington and Nevada. So this felt like a fluke. Anyway, Crest gets VERY cold. In a tank top on the Pinot and in gloves and jacket on Crest (and wishing for more layers). The Crest is not well marked. There is a spot you come to in which three trails cross and there’s a sign telling you to go to the left for the tram. But there’s almost immediately a couple forks. Keep right. Realizing it’s a lot longer than you realize should help too. I was getting really fearful we weren’t on the right track. I absolutely LOVED the Pinot. The Crest would have been fine had I realized what we were in for. That’s why my post is so long. Have fun!

Oddly, I find the final Crest trail much tougher than the Pino trail portion. It felt like the Crest portion was longer than I expected with a fair amount of incline. My watch showed this at over 8 miles. I was SO glad to finally see the tram for a trip down!

Difficult but very beautiful.

It's a beast regarding elevation gain! Pretty though with views on both sides of the mountain.

recorded Pino Trail

This was a beast, base of the Pino Trail to the tram, but beautiful.

recorded Pino Trail