San Antonio Hot Springs

San Antonio Hot Springs is a 0.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Jemez Pueblo, New Mexico that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

Our SUV had some issues with road. Giant potholes filled with rain water. Ended up leaving our vehicle on the side of the trail and hiking up 3+ miles, so 6 miles out-and-back. Trail (aka road) was not difficult, but lots of other trucks zooming along on the road. Not a peaceful hike, but a few ok views along the way. Springs were hot, and the view at the springs was also worth the hike. Be prepared to share the experience with a lot of other people.

My favorite place to go! Even if I have to do the 5 miles in and out, definitely worth it.

Is there dispersed camping in this area? Santa Fe National Forest website says you can camp anywhere there isn't a sign. I couldn't find any more detail on site...no maps etc.

We rode our dirt bikes up 376 and just did the little hike to the springs from the no motorized vehicle gate. We took a dip to cool down in the creek before heading up the mountain. It is a cascading hotspring and very warm! I plan to try it while there is some snow on the ground, but overall the experience was amazing. It is gorgeous, and not too busy like at spence.

Saturday's are the busiest from what I've seen. But, the hot springs are well worth the hike up. The best is going when there is still some snow. Enjoy!

Beautiful area. Crowded but worth it. Do NOT park your car as soon as you turn onto F South Road 376!! Had our car window broken and things stolen. If your car can't make it up the road, take your valuables and roll down your windows. We also met someone else that had this happen to her in the same place. We absolutely loved the springs and everything else though.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Such a relaxing end to our camping trip!!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

It was an amazing hike - I was in so much shock that I was in New Mexico still! It's wonderful - 5 miles one way - easy hike nothing to crazy - beautiful views! We went in the earlier part of the morning and it was perfect - very cool breezes so when you got to hot you could easily sit up and cool off! We were two of 8 at the spring when we were there and it was still very nice there's enough pools to make it feel like you are still up there relaxing alone if you don't want to be bothered by other people ... BUT when we were leaving at noon there was A TON of people heading over to the springs and I could only imagine that it would be WAY WAY WAY to crowded!

We also had no trouble finding it - the road does sneak up on you but it isn't really that hard to find ... we literally just put it in the GPS and then you just park and follow the main dirt road :).

Friday, May 13, 2016

It was an amazing hike but I recommend you stop and ask for alittle more directions, there's a market on the way to the trails.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Easy, but shortcuts make you appreciate the rewarding hot springs and view at the top even more. It was really muddy and gave it a fun challenge, but it was my favorite hike and hot spring combination so far.

Monday, April 04, 2016

What a great hike!
It was a leisurely stroll on an open road nearly all the way to the springs.
At the springs, the view opens for a great cliff view across the valley.
We got in early and the springs weren't overly packed, but, after a few hours, several people had packed their way in and the upper pool had become crowded.
I give it 4/5 due to the rough rocks (very hard on the feet and rear) and lack of camping.

Monday, March 14, 2016

The 5 mile fire road leading up to the base of the springs is only open a few months in the summer for car use. Any car will be fine on the road as long as there aren't any fallen boulders or trees in the path, 4x4 is not necessary. This makes fall and spring a great time to beat the crowds due to a longer hike in when the road isn't open. The springs are incredible with never ending water flow constantly refreshing each pool and epic views. Head out early on weekends if you want to get there first and enjoy the top pool on your own.

Monday, December 14, 2015

***Lost Go Pro on the trail, if found, please call 2067195879. Lost in snow, 13 December, may appear when snow melts. Priceless photos from 2 week roadtrip***

Trail was awesome, be prepared if going during the winter because it gets cold, but the view from the hot springs is totally worth it. 5mile hike in snow took 2hrs from trailhead to hot springs. The water temp was perfect, even with the snowfall around us. Recommend waterproof shoes & gloves if hiking in snow.
Incredible day, an unforgettable experience.