Rinconada Canyon Trail

Rinconada Canyon Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

historic site

Petroglyphs, great hike for the family. Starting off from the trailhead you skirt along the right side of the canyon / mesa. Along the trail you'll notice many petroglyphs etched into the dark rocks from various people groups and cultures ranging from Native Americans, Spanish settlers, and American ranchers. The trail is a loop or you could make an out and back hike. While the first half of the trail you're hiking right next to the canyon / mesa side but if you do the loop the trail heads right through the middle of the canyon on the way back. On the way back you're too far to see the petroglyphs. This is a great hike with nothing too strenuous as far as elevation gain. A great hike for families and petroglyph viewing. Be sure to visit the visitor center a mile up the road and the other places to hike at the National Monument.

We did this trail around 10AM, it does get warm. There is no shade. The trail is a loop, with half the loop up against the rocks. The rocks are where the beautiful Petroglyphs are. We had our dog, and he saw lots of lizards. We did not see any snakes but were warned plenty about them.

The parking lot closes at 5. Note: there are 3 parking spaces outside the gate and you can be on the trail until sunset.

Best to see artwork so old.

Worth the walk.

Rabbits, jackrabbits, lizards, centipedes galore and rattlesnakes too.

this is not the hardest trail, by any means, but it is very enjoyable. I took my 57 year old mom, who is pretty sedentary, and she was able to complete the full loop (with some grumbling though LOL). the trail is pretty sandy in some areas, with some small inclines, but nothing difficult. We came across a snake, not sure what kind, but I'm telling myself ITS NOT A RATTLESNAKE. it was about 3 feet long and skinny, light beige-y with brown spots/pattern. a decent amount of petroglyphs were visible, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, snake sighting be damned :)

Good trail to run 2 mile loops.

Went on this trail during our honeymoon a few years ago, and it was so enjoyable! When my wife and I move to Albuquerque later this summer, we'll definitely go on it as often as we can.