Ponce de Leon Hot Springs

Ponce de Leon Hot Springs is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico that features hot springs and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

In reply to Barbara Wilkey: No, the trail is not closed except to vehicle traffic.
And to Diane Grevelle: You didn't walk up the hill to the actual pool. The big pool lower down is silted in and filled with cattails, yes. But the springs just above them are gorgeous and look just like the photo at the top.

Water is about 3 feet deep with a clean gravelly bottom. I swear I've never seen water so clear and clean! It was about body temperature--not hot but warm enough to enjoy and feel great on a chilly, 50-degree day. We were there by ourselves in late afternoon in October and enjoyed the pools immensely. I knocked off a star because the walk there is kind of boring, but the springs themselves are a wonderful little surprise.

This trail is closed 7/4/2018

I’m not sure when that picture of the Hot Springs was taken but it wasn’t anytime In the last several years,if not longer. Uploaded a photo of the “Hot Springs” and it’s full of cat tails and grass and in a state of disrepair. Hit Springs is located on Pueblo land and two photos stating that was uploaded.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Good times with the kids.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Not a great hike, hot dirt road with a lot of broken glass. The end result is a run down old series of pools fed by a natural spring. It's kind of cool but not something I would do again. Better off going to John Dunne bridge for a dip

Saturday, April 15, 2017

nice easy hike. Not well marked.

Friday, March 31, 2017

I am not sure what the other reviewer's experienced, but it was not what we saw. the trail is a dirt road then after walking through someone's property it becomes undicernable as to what is a trail when we tried to stick to the line on the app it said we were at the end only to be looking at dead end. after wondering way off what it said was the way, we found what appeared to be or what used to be a pool and the stream next to it was warm. but looked nothing like the picture or the description. we have used this app many times and this is the first bad experience.

Friday, March 24, 2017

I have thought about this place quite often. It looks a lot different since 1971. It takes me back to another time. Many hour were spent in those pools. I miss those people I was with. Only two of us left. I will be back to visit soon. It says to enter a star rating before submitting this. LOL At night looking up...More stars than could be counted by man. Only god knows how many. In 1971...5 stars

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

the springs are magical and hypnotic. spiritual place for sure. short walk to springs. used directions from all trails and they seem to have been corrected from since other commenter stated their incorrectness. I also used the other website mentioned to help with directions.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

It was perfect! Such a cool little soak spot! The only problem is how to find it. There are so many possibilities when it comes to getting lost. I'd ask a local for directions before you go. That would be best.

Sunday, December 06, 2015

Awesome. Not that hot but it's beautiful.

Saturday, September 02, 2017