Pino Trail is a 9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,736 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a nice hike in the Sandias that can take you to the Crest Trail. If you want, you can continue on the Crest trail to the Tramway and take the easy way down the mountain. The trail is in good condition but there are some steep parts. Also there is a lot of shade which is much appreciated when the NM sun is out in full force. There are a few springs but you can't depend on them to be there in the dry months. You can expect to get some great views of the Sandias on the way up.

I would only recommend going off-trail like this if you have a good sense of direction and a friend. Do not go alone because some spots can be kind of sketchy, and there is some light climbing involved in going the way we did. Pathfinding is also easier with two people talking and looking. Lots of wild life sign and game trails, so be attentive and project your pressence with noise. We went late afternoon but there is plenty of shade in the forest. We made double sure to be back on trail before dark. Lots of fun!

This was my first time (08/21) doing the Pino Trail , and it was very enjoyable overall. I went ahead and took the Crest Trail to the Tram and rode that down. I had rides on both sides, which made it feasible to do it this way. The Pino portion took just under two hours and the Crest to the Tram an additional 1.5 hours or so. Pino was a bit overgrown at parts, so you may consider wearing pants instead of shorts. Neither Pino or Crest has much in the way of signs besides where it starts and ends, but it's fairly straight forward to follow. If I had to choose La Luz vs Pino/Crest, I would probably lean towards La Luz because of the views.

ran this beast on a trip from baton rouge LA about 4 years ago( twice over 2 days). It was a 20% grade starting around 5000 ft and going up to 9500 ft approx. so 10 mile round trip. in LA were living at sea level so at 7500 feet I started hearing a high pitched buzzing in the ears. I had to stop to stretch the calves. I averaged only 12 minute miles approx for the run. I enjoyed the cacti flowers red and yellow. there were a few small trickling springs along the way. next time I might bring a straw or water supply.

Greatness of a hike. I could not ask for better weather. It was probably in the mid 70’s up top. Gorgeous wildflowers throughout. This was an absolute treat. Now I hurt a bit, but that’s good. Makes me feel alive! This trail is steep and will challenge you up and down. I pack three liters of water and came back with just over 1/2 liter left. You will need water on this one. I hiked it beginning at 2 I think. Took me longer as I found a phone and back tracked trying to find the guy.

I used this trail for the first time a few weeks ago in a summer afternoon. it was too hot and buggy, so we didn't get far. I tried it again starting about 6:30am when it was cooler and not so buggy, I loved it! I can't wait to go again. Beautiful views, cool weather, perfect!

I went up with the intent of staying overnight in a bivy. There is nowhere flat to camp, but the trail is awesome

great hike. lots of shade!

Excellent trail up the Sandia"s. One of my favorites. Can be done almost all year. The upper section is usually snow covered and can be treacherous in the winter/spring. Nice grade for the Sandia"s but the last mile is very tough as it is very steep and rocky in parts. Great forest. This hike is awesome in the fall in the middle section - lots of oak. View at top is not as good as others but still very worth the effort. This is quite a popular trail.

This is a wonderful trail. It starts off in the valley, which is rather flat, moves into the canyon, which is rather hilly, and into the mountain. The trail is incredibly diverse; flat, rocky, dry, wet, it’s well rounded. There is a small stream about three miles in that cuts through the trail. It’s only an inch or so deep, so you don’t need to plan for it. I couldn’t judge if it was run off or a spring—though the flow pattern and smooth rock indicate a regular stream—so don’t expect it year round. The first three miles are quite tough, but the final two miles are arduous. It’s not too rocky, but it’s steep. The summit, though nice, is less than spectacular. The view is amazing, but the landscape itself is overgrown and thick. It connects with the crest trail so you could make it to the tram if you aren’t dead tired by the time you summit. Overall, it an awesome trail and worth hiking at least once.

Great Hike, starts off in the valley and winds its way up to the top of the mountain, connecting with the Sandia Crest Trail. I was able to summit and return in 5 hours, (44yo male average fitness) The last mile was snow packed, should melt today or tmw. Wildlife- saw several mule deer, rabbits, and a black headed grosbeak. Wildflowers are blooming too.

Solo hiked this beauty a couple days ago. No snow all the way to the top where it meets the Crest trail. About 2 hours up, 2 going back down. Also saw a bear cub in the distance and it ran right away, luckily didn’t see the momma. Overall great trail, views at the top not the best but great views going up.

Not enough snow for snowshoeing. Too snow for hiking. But hiking through the meadow was delightful.

Awesome trail, pretty well maintained, distance and elevation are longer and higher if you go past the verified section to where the Pino Trail meets the Crest trail and one other. By my account it’s 5mi up for 10mi total and 3200ft elevation gain. The switchbacks at the top still had some hard packed snow, a little icy and slippery. Spikes will help but me and the dog made it just fine. 2hr20m yo the top almost the same down but the dog needed to stop and rest a lot. Views weren’t great at the peak, but incredible during the hike itself.

Beautiful trail, exceptionally well maintained. Even a moaning 10 year old daughter couldn't ruin it.

Omg so awesome! Weather beautiful trail perfect a little snow nothing to worry about

Easy trail to start, but the last couple of miles get a bit tricky. Ice/snow will definitely slow you down. It was tough, but the view was rewarding. Also a nice opportunity to see the last bit of snow!

Awesome!