Piedras Marcadas Canyon

Piedras Marcadas Canyon is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trails are very sandy down in the canyon and lava rock in the way sometimes.

Nice Trail. Flat trails. Liked the petroglyphs. Saw a chipmunk.

Pretty easy trail some wildlife

Quite fun!

Beautiful oasis between rows of houses Be careful not to touch or climb onto the petroglyphs. They are everywhere.

Lots of petroglyphs and wildlife - jackrabbits, hummingbirds, glowers & assorted plant life. Easy walk.

Very easy, well marked, heavily trafficked, touristy road stop stroll i would say.

It was interesting, quite sandy, I ended up with a lot of sand in my shoes, my dog made it half way, I ended up carrying my 35 pound dog back to the car. (no dog left behind

Great look at the Petroglyphs and a beautiful view of Albuquerque if you climb up a bit off the main trail. Nice, easy hike with jackrabbits, hummingbirds and lots of wild flowers.

Lots of petroglyphs. Jackrabbits were frequently spotted. Because the trail isn't marked, it's unclear how close to the rocks you should get, but you could get right up to them (but shouldn't). This is evidently a favorite dog walking area.

Favorite of the petroglyph

This was really fascinating. So many petroglyphs I could have spent a lot more time just taking pictures but the sun was setting. Will definitely be back.

So much fun!

Always fun with the family! Can be quick and easy or a bit longer and off path too if you're feeling adventurous.

Wow, it was a great experience! I've read people's comments and I was not 100% sure if I wanted to take my time and come to this trail but I am glad we did. I brought my 2 teens during the Spring break from Colorado and this was definitely one of the favorite one. I didn't ended up following the trail on the map because there are so many amazing petroglyphs and I am satisfied. If you're not from the area, this is one of the must "trail" to go!

Trail isn't clearly marked but the view of the petroglyphs is amazing!

wasn't clearly marked, were we in someone's back yard? the dogs scared us. did love that we saw long eared rabbits, road runners, coyote & indigenous birds.

This is a great spot for a quick walk or a long walk and is good for all ability levels. I’m an advanced hiker but still enjoyed the views and activity. The petroglyphs have been beautiful preserved, it’s wonderfully that people have really respected them and left them as they found them.
Go check it out and please, continue to be kind to the amazing, historical petroglyphs.

Great run! Mostly soft sand trails with very little hard packed dirt. Lots of side trails if you want to get creative. Lots of cool petroglyphs and huge Jack Rabbits!

Easy Hike, Pretty Views.

Not to bad a lot of dog poop though.

Lots to see. Very easy trail

Great family hike, tons of great cool petros, do in afternoon for best lighting.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Did this trail in the evening, about 1.8 miles. The trail is in a neighborhood area which felt odd. There was a sign at the trailhead with the trail guide, however, when we were there it felt like a choose your own adventure. People were climbing rocks, there were people off the trail, etc. At one point we were following footsteps on what we thought was the correct path, but turns out it wasn't. Overall, we saw lots of cool petroglyphs and had a great time. Did see lots of rabbits too!

Friday, September 22, 2017

You can take dogs. Very hot, I suggest going in the morning or evening. Saw a jack rabbit and the petroglyphs are very pretty.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Very nice trail. Perfect addition to a morning walk. I went early morning when it was cool out. Saw a jackrabbit on the trail and looking at the rocks were a nice stop along the way. Near the tip of the trail there are a lot of side paths that people have gone astray on.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Interesting flat hike. Very hot with high temps and no shade. Take water. Lots of petrolyghs to view from the trail. About 1.8 miles with the loops.

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Lovely little jaunt with many petroglyphs right on the trail and many wildflowers. Behind a neighborhood, literally in folks' backyards which is a little funky, but also totally accessible and free.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Boca Negra was more interesting to me and took you up closer to the petroglyphs. However, this was a nice, short, easy sand trail in the canyon. We brought 3 kids with us, so definitely kid-friendly. Perfect for an evening hike as there isn't any shade. The kids really enjoyed seeing all of the rabbits! We saw at least 10 and they were huge!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Nice trail for a short hike. Perfect hike with kids. There is no shade so a great morning or evening hike.

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Easy trail but the views and the petroglyphs are awesome.