Piedras Marcadas Canyon

Piedras Marcadas Canyon is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

The trails are very sandy down in the canyon and lava rock in the way sometimes.

So much fun!

Always fun with the family! Can be quick and easy or a bit longer and off path too if you're feeling adventurous.

Wow, it was a great experience! I've read people's comments and I was not 100% sure if I wanted to take my time and come to this trail but I am glad we did. I brought my 2 teens during the Spring break from Colorado and this was definitely one of the favorite one. I didn't ended up following the trail on the map because there are so many amazing petroglyphs and I am satisfied. If you're not from the area, this is one of the must "trail" to go!

Trail isn't clearly marked but the view of the petroglyphs is amazing!

wasn't clearly marked, were we in someone's back yard? the dogs scared us. did love that we saw long eared rabbits, road runners, coyote & indigenous birds.

This is a great spot for a quick walk or a long walk and is good for all ability levels. I’m an advanced hiker but still enjoyed the views and activity. The petroglyphs have been beautiful preserved, it’s wonderfully that people have really respected them and left them as they found them.
Go check it out and please, continue to be kind to the amazing, historical petroglyphs.

Great run! Mostly soft sand trails with very little hard packed dirt. Lots of side trails if you want to get creative. Lots of cool petroglyphs and huge Jack Rabbits!

Easy Hike, Pretty Views.

Not to bad a lot of dog poop though.

Lots to see. Very easy trail

Great family hike, tons of great cool petros, do in afternoon for best lighting.

Did this trail in the evening, about 1.8 miles. The trail is in a neighborhood area which felt odd. There was a sign at the trailhead with the trail guide, however, when we were there it felt like a choose your own adventure. People were climbing rocks, there were people off the trail, etc. At one point we were following footsteps on what we thought was the correct path, but turns out it wasn't. Overall, we saw lots of cool petroglyphs and had a great time. Did see lots of rabbits too!

You can take dogs. Very hot, I suggest going in the morning or evening. Saw a jack rabbit and the petroglyphs are very pretty.

Very nice trail. Perfect addition to a morning walk. I went early morning when it was cool out. Saw a jackrabbit on the trail and looking at the rocks were a nice stop along the way. Near the tip of the trail there are a lot of side paths that people have gone astray on.

Interesting flat hike. Very hot with high temps and no shade. Take water. Lots of petrolyghs to view from the trail. About 1.8 miles with the loops.

Lovely little jaunt with many petroglyphs right on the trail and many wildflowers. Behind a neighborhood, literally in folks' backyards which is a little funky, but also totally accessible and free.

Boca Negra was more interesting to me and took you up closer to the petroglyphs. However, this was a nice, short, easy sand trail in the canyon. We brought 3 kids with us, so definitely kid-friendly. Perfect for an evening hike as there isn't any shade. The kids really enjoyed seeing all of the rabbits! We saw at least 10 and they were huge!

Nice trail for a short hike. Perfect hike with kids. There is no shade so a great morning or evening hike.

Easy trail but the views and the petroglyphs are awesome.

Great trail for all ages! Loved hunting to find art that is not visible from the trail. Not a hike for the summer time, best to do in the earlier part of the year. It's a sandy trail, not good for wheelchairs or strollers. Dog friendly on a leash, but not all trails in this park allow dogs according to the brochure.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Easy trail with tons of petroglyphs. Be sure to follow the directions carefully as the parking lot is behind some commercial buildings and in a neighborhood.
Please be respectful of the petroglyphs and don't climb on the rocks

Saturday, February 11, 2017

fun trail

Friday, February 03, 2017

nice trail , easy

Sunday, October 16, 2016

I really liked this trail. Yes, it begins next to a community and you initially see the buildings off to your left, but quickly it becomes its own little world and you are on your own on the sandy trail.

I chose this trail because it was less populated (and less graffitied) than the main petroglyphs trail in the national monument, and I am so glad I did. I saw only one other person.

There were 6 petroglyph locations in all. It wasn't too hard to find them (although they might not be spotted if you're not paying attention). However, each had its own marker and description.

The trail itself isn't well marked but I don't think it's possible to get very lost. I only made a slight wrong turn trying to find my initial entry point.

I did this trail in August and loved it. I saw my first petroglyph and roadrunners. I also saw jack rabbits.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Pretty boring. Surrounded by neighborhood. Great if you have small children

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

loved it

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Fun easy hike for kiddos

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Cute

Monday, August 08, 2016

It was really neat to see petroglyphs. Super hot for hiking, but the path is flat. Many rabbits and lizards crossed our path.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

It was a great walk. I loved all of the petroglyphs!!