Piedra Lisa Trail #135 to Waterfall

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(99)
Sandia Mountain Wilderness

Piedra Lisa Trail #135 to Waterfall is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bernalillo, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 807 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Awesome. Looks like there has been a landslide since I last hiked here. The path up to the real 30’-40’ waterfall is very difficult to make out, but it can be done. I took my dog up, but I highly recommend only taking dogs who listen and who are good at climbing. Small dogs are probably a bad choice as well. The path up requires some scrambling and light climbing, which isn’t great for dogs. The rocks are also very slick in some parts. Just be sure you’re there to spot your dog. If you’re going all the way up, keep an eye out for the tunnels in the path through the debris. You’ll also need to find some creative ways around seemingly impassible faces. It feels like a puzzle/maze at every turn. Moderate rating is misleading. Post-landslide this trail is definitely “Hard.”

Don’t take dogs unless they’re good climbers. We had to find alternative routes & ended up so far off the trail. Although I think our path was better and more scenic haha

Beautiful hike, hardly anyone one on it once you branch off Piedra Lisa. Plenty of water in the little stream. Lower down there are some nice picnic spots, keep following the stream to find about a 12ft vertical waterfall. There is another waterfall about a half hour further up, but it’s less of a vertical fall and more of a rockslide type with a little pool.

Very grown over toward the waterfall. might need a machete to get through all the way. Pretty challenging. Involves moderate rock climbing. Will need to scramble 100-200ft at time.

Easy as can be to the first waterfall. If your planning on going all the way to the larger fall there is lots of scrambling and climbing.

Definite bear country, make sure to take protection with you. The trail gets a little overgrown in the last half mile. Other than that beautiful views and with the hike!!!!

Great trail - lots of rock climbing/scrambling to get to the falls near the end. Also, it’s easy to lose the trail in some spots. We did the hike with our three kids - ages 4-10 - and the stream and rock climbing along the way kept them interested. We took our time and everyone ended the hike still happy!

Great hike. The part on Piedra Lisa Trail #135 is easy, nice trail. There is no sign for the Waterfall Trail. There's a sign for Sania Wilderness and the draw to your right (East). There is a well worn path to the falls. It is difficult, overgrown, some scampering. At times there's 2 paths, one along the creek and one further up on the side.. Multiple little waterfalls and cascading water along the trail.

icy

Wasn’t too bad until about 1.2 miles in where we hit a (rock) wall. Couldn’t get past and turned around.

It was a lot of fun, and I ran into some other hikers. Bug spray would be good. I went on a Saturday morning and it was overcast and not too hot. I’ll come back and explore more of the trail soon.

Did this 5 days ago. Very overgrown and difficult trail to follow. Quite a bit of scrambling. AllTrails GPS was the only way to stay on track. Very pretty area, but hard to recommend because of difficulty of staying on the trail.

Tried this today, June 16. Past the part where you turn off the Piedra Lisa trail, it was very overgrown. We only made it about 500-700 feet in and turned around. There really just was not any trail that we could find that was passable. There would seem to be a trail for a bit, but end up in a wall of bushes. I don't see how anyone can do this trail unless they are ok just going between trees and bushes the whole way without a trail. Not for me. We tried a few sections / parts that seemed like trail but they all ended up in severe overgrown. No water was present for the part of the trail we did. If it were clear, maintained, and passable (on trail) then I'd give it a go and a different rating.