Learn more

Piedra Lisa North Spring Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(48)
Sandia Mountain Wilderness

Piedra Lisa North Spring Trail is a 8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Placitas, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,467 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Parts are a bit rocky, but overall a great trail! Not much shade the first mile. I like to do a fast hike/ mild jog going up and then run on the way down. A lot of fun and did not see that many people even though I went midday on Sunday. Can definitely get hot in the afternoon so be sure you have enough water.

I have lived in Placitas for over 15 years and never ran trails out here. This trail was awesome, 95% good smooth trail and the rest rocky. Shady with beautiful views.

Quite a few twists and turns that look like pathways, so be sure to download the map ahead of time and check in every now and then. A gorgeous view up at top! Worth some of the pretty steep moments along the way.

The views are amazing and the trail is lightly trafficked on the North side. We hiked up and then went down South Piedra Lisa making it about a 6 mile hike. We got a ride back to our car in Placitas.

What a great hike! Apple maps told me I couldn't drive to the trailhead so I added a couple extra miles to the hike (yes, you can actually drive to the starting point). There was a little snow and ice near the top, but it really just made things more interesting. I look forward to doing this trail in the summer.

Sun Mar 17 2019

8.2 miles based on my GPS

Fri Jan 25 2019

This trail was pretty awesome today. It started with no snow at the parking lot/trail head and had over a foot in spots at the saddle. I always do a little meandering at the top and soak in the views & energy. Even though it started at 24° I was still sweating by the time I got to the top. Always fun, always beautiful. See you soon!

Sat Nov 24 2018

Beautiful and nice hike, though I logged it on Strava as 7.6 miles.

Fri Oct 13 2017

Great trail running and mountain biking trails close to town.

Mon Aug 28 2017

Really fun hike with great views. Very scenic! One of my favorites in the Sandias. It's quite steep in parts though.

Sat Jul 06 2019