Piedra Lisa Canyon Trail

Piedra Lisa Canyon Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Fun trail great views of ABQ!

Love this trail for its beautiful views. Also nice that it’s short which means it doesn’t take all day!

Nice trail, just what I needed to see how my achy knee would hold up to some climbing.

Clearly marked with alot of rock scrambling

Wow what a different view of the Sandias! Beautiful. St the top you can decide to go right and explore knifes edge or left and explore another good bouldering spot. Very beautiful.

very scenic. Good views of Albuquerque area. lots of scramble but not dangerous. Go slow and enjoy!

My fav short foothills trail. Who needs a stair master.

great

Lots of climbing rocks.

Good trail. Love the incline and climbing over rocks; I was breathing hard the first half mile. I got a good workout. It’s not boring like some dirt trails. You actually are climbing a small mountain or large hill; whatever your preference.

Did most of this trail with my nine year old twins, they loved it because of all the rocks to climb on. For the most part it was easy to see the signs pointing the trail out which was very necessary. But on the way down we got a little confused. We might do it again, but I’d definitely make sure your kids are going to follow instructions before you let them do it

My intention was to do a trail running but I was climbing rocks for the most part and was not able to run until I was coming down. Came from Colorado, so this was first hike in New Mexico and enjoyed a lot. Glad there were allow signs to guided me to the right direction, otherwise I could get lost.

I really enjoyed this hike. It has a little bit of everything; pine forest, desert scrub, nice hard packed trail, boulder scrambling and dramatic views. PL starts at the water storage tank and ascends the rim of the valley. The first 1.5 miles or so are a bit of a steep climb, but then the trails flatens a bit and the views open up. You can hike the entire PL trail as an out and back.

About midway through the loop you'll find the junction with the Del Auga trail. The name comes from the fact that the top half of the trail is actually a drainage that had running water when I hiked it. There are several sections of large boulders that require some scrambling and strong evidence of water erosion on rocks. I would not kike this trail during or right after a rain event due to the likelihood of flash flooding!

Once pass this section, the trail separates from the water course and provides dramatic views of the vast plain below.

Monday, February 05, 2018

Nice quick hike

Friday, February 02, 2018

Very awesome hike for an afternoon in Albuquerque! Can be a little tricky with larger rocks towards the last bit of the hike, but still very doable. Our 2 1/2 month old corgi puppy did the majority of this hike with ease.

Friday, December 29, 2017

Very fun to do with family! Some parts were trickier for the younger ones but a lot of fun overall!

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

I went well the 1.9 miles that’s shown for the trail. Well marked and then you are on your own scrambling up the rocks in what is water flow track from the Sandia’s.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

This trail is great iin the beginning but then your off going down rocks and a stream bed, mot sure if that was the down part of the trail. I also think it is longer than 3.1 miles

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Very beautiful trail!

Monday, September 11, 2017

Well marked, light traffic. No shaded areas, so be sure to go earlier or later in the day.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Some of these pictures are actually of the pino trail. This trail isn't as green since it's still in the foothills. Still a great hike but don't expect very much shade

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nice little short hike but straight up, nice payoff with a good view. If you have 30 min this is a nice one for a quick workout.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Nice trail for all levels of hiking. Once at the top, you can continue to venture to higher elevations, which was nice.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

not dog friendly. rocks are too hard for them

Sunday, April 09, 2017

great hike

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Fun, short trail. A good amount of scrambling so although it says dog friendly, it's not really.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Lots of big,slick rocks

Monday, March 13, 2017

It's a nice hike with a really good view, however it's not as dog friendly as I would've liked.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Take note that under categories this trail has "rock climbing." It was more rock climbing than I personally like, but it's got some great views. My hiking poles were not useful with so much climbing.