Picacho Peak Trail is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike. About 4 miles RT. Easy going switch-backs make the climb doable and enjoyable. Nice views along the way.
This is from the perspective of a 67 yr. old in decent condition. Even at my slower, smell-the-roses pace and hanging out at the peak for 20 mins, this trip was 2hr 30min. My 20-something kids were much faster.

Nice trail. The switch backs get you near the end, but the view at the top is worth the effort.

Nice moderate hike. We are a pretty fit couple and it took us 62 minutes up and 44 minutes down.

Beautiful trail. As mid-westerners, the altitude of the climb made us a little winded but the summit was worth it!

Great training trail for me up-and-down Burns of 1000

Did this* hike yesterday and really enjoyed it. I say “this*” because I’m not sure if I followed the exact correct route (a lot of segments criss-cross the area). From trailhead parking I took segment 29 to 30 to 31 to 34 up to the peak. The tracker on my phone recorded the trail at 2 miles in each direction.

That said, loved all the parking at the trailhead and the well-marked, easy to follow trail. Fairly rugged with quite a bit of loose stone and sand along the way - though I never felt nervous about losing footing.

Beautiful views from the peak and a sweet breeze. Total hiking time out and back was 1:30.

Very nice hike with fantastic views. Always sad to see that people leave bags of dog poop on the trails....just take it with you.
Parking lot fills up fast so early is better. Have to really pay attention to where you are going. You cross another road to get to part of the trail.
Lots of lizards, hawks and great variety of flowers, trees and rocks to look at.

Did this hike back March because we got snowed/frozen off of Mount Wheeler. It was a great hike, well marked, decent trail, and gave some good views of Santa Fe and the other mountains around. Also, a very interesting mix of scenery. We found a cactus growing in the shade of an evergreen. We added the extra distance up to Atalaya Mountain, which provided some even more spectacular views. It made for a great day. Bring plenty of water.

Had a great hike. First time in Santa Fe, chose this trail based on reviews.
Being visitors here we took an Uber to the trailhead.
Some notes I wish were shared in reviews and hopefully these are helpful to others new to this trail.
Cell signal drops so ride share driver, unless familiar, will not be able to find the trail head.
Trail head not marked very well at all. We had to walk to the Audubon reserve, down the road, to ask for directions to trail head.
A simple post with a 29 on it. That’s it
Hopefully, this won’t dissuade you from hiking this great area.

A great hike today, a little crowded today due to Labor Day. Both of us are in our late sixties but we made it to the top within 2 hours. It was steep and very rocky recommend using hiking sticks. Great views of the city and the satisfaction of reaching the top and returning to the bottom safely. Would do it again.

Great hike! This was my first hike I did alone. It’s definitely tiring but the views are awesome. A lot of the trail is shaded (until the top) and that’s helpful. All was well until I came face to face with a bear, be careful.

Nice trail with great views. Very peaceful; I began at 7:30 a.m. and only saw a few other people while hiking. It's definitely a rocky climb, and the downhill is slippery in places. Took less than two hours from the trailhead.

Great views along the trail and at the peak. Rocky trail with debris on steep sections that make footing difficult—I slipped and fell once.

The trail is well maintained and easy to find with the app. The length is short but it’s an uphill climb almost the whole hike. There are three major viewpoints along the trail that offer some nice views of the city. A worthy hike if you’re in the city as it’s located downtown.

Great short trail.

Great views at the top. We come from low elevation so we took our time with the climb. Worth it though.

Trail starts with the Dale Ball trail head.

This trail offers many options for an out and back day hike as part of the Dale Ball trail system. It IS a climb to the top of Picacho Peak and along the way the views are endless. Take every oportunity to stop, sun bathe, meditate, think, or just allow those spaces between thoughts to be just the sounds of a crackling trail beneath your feet - and breathe...Santa Fe, it's no wonder why so many people love it here.

A great trail for seeing an overlook of Santa Fe, what has to be at least 50-100 miles west, and some of the santa fe mountains to the north/north-east. It is a continuous climb up, but very manageable if you are in decent shape. Bring at least a half gallon of water per person if you go on a day at least 60 degrees or warmer. You are mostly in the sun the entire time too, so wear sunscreen. It took us a total of 2.5 hours up and down, with a 15-20 min break at the top. You will not be disappointed.

Nice hike. A bit of a challenge for us at 65 years old but not undoable by any means. Hiking sticks help for those with worn out knees. Altitude made it a bit hard for us since we are from Michigan.

Great trail

Really enjoyed this hike. Switchbacks along the Western face provide great views all of the way up and down. Note that AllTrails will lead you astray on trailhead parking. Parking is left on Cerro Gordo Road. This is the left just before Canyon Rd becomes dirt.

Beautiful views. We started the trail around 4pm and stayed to see the sun setting on the way down.

Fantastic hike with great views of Santa Fe! this is a must-do hike when in Santa Fe. Well marked trails ensure you won't get lost and there are many interconnecting trails. well maintained trails and this hike will give you a good workout.

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Ben Lind's review is very helpful - especially the parking lot coordinates. Periodic maps and clear signage make the trail easy to follow. It's a good workout through one lovely setting after another. From the top, the views to the east are especially beautiful.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

This is one of the Dale Ball trails. I did not see "Picacho Peak Trail" anywhere at the trailhead. Choose the Dale Ball trail heading south toward Picacho Peak (there is a creek and road crossing near the beginning). The parking lot is at 35.686449, -105.895548.

I enjoyed this hike. The views on the way up were all right, and the top view was rewarding. Maybe it's the flatness of the New Mexican terrain or the lack of diversity in its vegetation, but I did not find the valley views to be that interesting. If I come back to Santa Fe I will look for a trial that has more elevation and/or is next to a body of water.

Friday, November 24, 2017

This is a great out & back ramble on the Dale Ball trails. The trails are well marked and you can turn it into a lollipop or a loop as you please. There are lots of roots and rock steps, but the trail is well maintained and a pleasure to walk.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

Nice hike with views at top. I have added a track with nice loop option to make the hike a bit longer. We went counter-clockwise.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Beautiful hike if time is limited, can do in 2 hours without much difficulty. Great shade in the morning, very green with some water at the bottom. I never saw any sign for this trail, took Dale Ball route 29 to 30 to 31 then at sign for 34 veer left to peak about 150 ft up. Great 360 views at the peak.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Great hike! Beautiful view that you can see while you hike up. The trail also provides some shade. Also from the trailhead all trails leads you to its actually 3.8 out and back just be aware of that.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

it was a very nice hike and great trail...great view !