Perk Ridge Trail

Perk Ridge Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ruidoso, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Did this loop (T92->T93) with my wife and sister-in-law, all of us avid hikers, on a beautiful winter day, highs in the 60s. Must say, not our favorite. Heading up the "easy" T92 is fine, although you're hiking up the canyon, basically spending time in or crossing the wash, replete with rocks and stones. But that was trivial compared with the "difficult" crossover and descent down T93! Very rocky and a bit hard to follow in places (good news: all seem to get you back except the branch at the top you need to pay attention to). For sure, hiking poles help. Vistas are great albeit partially blocked by trees. Good for one time we all agreed.

We started at T93 and hiked the loop to T92 back to our car. Spectacular views, and signs of wildlife everywhere. Well marked, aside from a few wooden trail signs knocked over, but just follow T92 and you'll stay on track. Time well spent, phenomenal hike.

Great trail, took my wife and kids.

My husband and I really enjoyed the 5+ mile loop. It was definitely moderate with some steep uphills and loose footing in places. The views were awesome. Would do it again for sure

My girlfriend and I hiked this trail mid-day in a Friday. Did not encounter anyone. The trail wasn’t to bad to hike and had great views, Overlooking the forest and within. We came across plenty on wild life and was able to hear an elk close by but did not see it. I recommend this trail if you are in the area. But it can be difficult if you’re not in decent shape.

Trail was nice and the view was well worth it. Be advised it was a little over 7 miles though.

Great hike, moderate difficulty is accurate. About a mile stretch in the middle is more challenging, but as one other reviewer said, put it in low gear and grind it out. Views are spectacular and plentiful. Didn't encounter any other hikers on a Saturday morning so lightly hiked, but trails are well marked.

More challenging than expected but doable, this hike was gorgeous and diverse. Loved the streams, horned toads, views and most of all, the very light traffic.

Nice scenery. Good challenge for an old guy!

Did this in July. Very nice in the town of ruidoso. Also did it reverse to get the altitude gain at the start

Good trail and easy to follow. Like another review there is a bit of a climb at bout the 2.5 mile mark. Just pick a low gear and grind it out

This trail is on the high end of moderate due to the constant incline/decline to complete the loop, occasionally steep and unstable footing. Wet conditions could make many portions of the trail slick, especially on the steep areas.

The trail is beautiful! Well marked and easy to follow. First two miles are easy peasy but mile 2.5-3.5 is pretty steep, don't let that stop you from coming though because the second half of the trail is gorgeous. My wife and I enjoyed the experience thoroughly.

Awesome trail. Challenging at times but saw lots of wildlife and beautiful views.

Great trail. Shaded almost the entire time. I saw lots of wildlife and no other hikers on the trail.

My husband and I hiked this yesterday. We are in our mid 60'S and finished in 3 hrs and 20 minutes. The first 2 miles are easy, with ample shade and a gentle climb. Mile 3 is steep and rocky at times; more difficult for sure. The descent down was difficult with many areas of loose medium rocks to navigate. Hiking poles are very helpful for this section. Mostly no views other than briefly at the top. We enjoyed the hike.

Overall the trail was tough for this 76yo. Parts of Perk Ridge T92 are steeper and rougher than "moderate" would suggest, especially near the peak. I saw two elk in a meadow up top. T93 in Perk Canyon is a beautiful riparian hike along a stream with two interesting footbridges. I made the hike CCW from T93 trailhead.

Perk ridge had some great views. Perk Canyon was just a walk in the forest. The uphill elevation gain was on the jeep road of Perk Ridge. Several locals recommended the hike and I saw only locals on the trail. Easy to get to and easy to get in when you only have a small amount of time to hike.

We had a little trouble finding the entrance but once we got on it was great!! Easy, fun trail. We took our dog and he loved it! We will be going back