Pecos Baldy Lake

Pecos Baldy Lake is a 14.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mora, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Great, tough day trip. Had a lot of fun on the trail to the lake and made it to the summit of baldy in another 2 hours round-trip.

The hike from Jacks Creek campground to the lake was amazing. We were stopping to take pictures of all the beautiful wildflowers. The total hiking time was 4.5 hours---we are not fast. We didn't see any Big Horn sheep--The Forest dept was bringing salt licks up that day.
Wonderful hike

This is the second time backpacking this trail. The first time some of our group was unprepared for the difficulty of the hike so we set up camp once the trail hit jacks creek at the 257 and 259 crossing. This time we had planned to make it all the way to the lake in one trip. Well after reading some reviews and what we had done previously we figured it was a go. Not the case. After the jacks creek crossing it becomes VERY steep and difficult for another 3+ miles to the lake. Maybe it's from being tired from the first leg but it gets rough. Once you get to the lake the views are fantastic though. We camped for two nights, the first a little shy of the lake because we were spent, then the next at the lake. A very beautiful place and will enjoy hiking again though we may just stay by the creek next time due to not seeing/getting any fish at the lake. The creek is beautiful and with a little hiking you can find some great spots away from some of the traffic along the trail.

Difficult but beautiful and worthy of your time. We stayed overnight at the lake and enjoyed it.

Really nice trail with wonderful views. There were lots of fallen trees which made the middle section more of an obstacle course, but just added to the challenge. There was a good amount of snow beyond the burnt area so I lost the trail, but with the help of GPS, I made it to the lake. I made it half way up Pecos Baldy before I deemed it was too slick and dangerous. Overall great time!

Thursday, June 02, 2016

This was my very first backpacking trip. Coming from an elevation of 3300 to 9000+ was sorely underestimated. I had the worst headache when I arrived at Baldy Lake. Not to mention I waaaaay overpacked for the adventure. The trail was very nice and serene until you get to the area where there was a fire, then it's just a bummer and downright creepy. I was surprised to see a cow in the middle of nowhere. I wanted to trek up to Truchas but my headache kept that idea far from reality. I'll be returning though.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Friday, November 20, 2015

We camped on the saddle overlooking the lake on our way to climb Truchas Peak. This entire wilderness area is really quite amazing, full of spiritual energy that is borderline spooky at times. We heard a really really strange noise that sounded like a muscle car peeling out, really really loud too. Problem is, there are no roads forever out there. Anyway, lovely gorgeous place with the friendliest most happy white mountain goats I have ever met. :). Leave no trace :)

Friday, November 14, 2014

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Great hike with beautiful views. No snow on trail. Did not summit Baldy. Lake area very breezy and chilly; glad we had our down jackets packed.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Deep drifts in woods on main route until mid summer. Alternate route up north summit is dry. Big horn sheep....