Pecos Baldy Lake

Pecos Baldy Lake is a 14.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mora, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Difficult but beautiful and worthy of your time. We stayed overnight at the lake and enjoyed it.

Really nice trail with wonderful views. There were lots of fallen trees which made the middle section more of an obstacle course, but just added to the challenge. There was a good amount of snow beyond the burnt area so I lost the trail, but with the help of GPS, I made it to the lake. I made it half way up Pecos Baldy before I deemed it was too slick and dangerous. Overall great time!

Thursday, June 02, 2016

This was my very first backpacking trip. Coming from an elevation of 3300 to 9000+ was sorely underestimated. I had the worst headache when I arrived at Baldy Lake. Not to mention I waaaaay overpacked for the adventure. The trail was very nice and serene until you get to the area where there was a fire, then it's just a bummer and downright creepy. I was surprised to see a cow in the middle of nowhere. I wanted to trek up to Truchas but my headache kept that idea far from reality. I'll be returning though.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Friday, November 20, 2015

We camped on the saddle overlooking the lake on our way to climb Truchas Peak. This entire wilderness area is really quite amazing, full of spiritual energy that is borderline spooky at times. We heard a really really strange noise that sounded like a muscle car peeling out, really really loud too. Problem is, there are no roads forever out there. Anyway, lovely gorgeous place with the friendliest most happy white mountain goats I have ever met. :). Leave no trace :)

Friday, November 14, 2014

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Great hike with beautiful views. No snow on trail. Did not summit Baldy. Lake area very breezy and chilly; glad we had our down jackets packed.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Deep drifts in woods on main route until mid summer. Alternate route up north summit is dry. Big horn sheep....