Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Learn more

Oso Ridge and Embudito Canyon Loop

moderate(20)
Sandia Foothills Open Space Park

Oso Ridge and Embudito Canyon Loop is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,407 feet Route Type: Loop

The hike up to Oso ridge is pretty cardio intensive. The reward for coming back through the canyon on the way out makes this one of my favorite ABQ hikes I have done thus far.

icy

Second trail in ABQ, hiking on Veterans Day around 0900/1000. Took me about two hours, but I am slow and new to hiking. Plenty of people to come across hiking nearby. I took the trail to the left. It had a steady incline with lots of gravel and little shade. There were a lot of trail options so have your map out. Once almost half way you hit some wooded areas and once again need to have your map out to follow the correct trail. On my way back, coming from the right side of the trail, you pretty much follow the valley/dried up water ravine. I ran across many beautiful birds and feisty squirrels on this side. There are tons of rocks to climb down from and many overgrown trees. Tons of shade on this side. It was quite a fun part of the trail. I plan to return and start on the right to test my ability to get through climbing up all the rock obstacles. Due to the right side of the trail I would not bring an inexperienced dog and would plan on assisting them up or down if you do.

A great loop hike. I would recommend going left/north at the first juncture as you are heading east along the ridge line. Swing around and then climb up on the flat rock.This would be a great place for a picnic. A couple of hundred yards later and you will be on the ridge line that runs all the way to the Crest Trail. Turn South/Right in the wash and follow it back to your juncture with the Embudito trail. BONUS ADD ON: At the point on the ridge line I just mentioned, you can also drop down to the north and into the Academy property. This is a technical climb on a vague trail. Be very careful. There is no one around to carry you out. You will end of hiking out towards the west and the open space. It just depends on if you want to walk past the caretakers house or not. There is a well hiked trail that will be your salvation, but you have to keep a sharp eye to your left to spot it.

Sat Dec 15 2018