Organ Peak Trail

Organ Peak Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Boyd, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

A lot of brush overgrown in the trail, don’t wear shorts. Also, I am fat and almost died I think. Other than that it was great!

Great hike. Easier than I thought, but still quite tough. Trail to Narrows, and after that till end of small canyon (from a big boulder with a big stone cairn, you follow the bottom of a narrow side canyon) is relatively easy to follow. From there to saddle / ridge and then to the summit is often unclear. Took 3h10 to get to summit. No other People. Most amazing views! Did this hike in August, nice cool breeze at top, while in Las Cruces it was 100 degrees. Leave early though.

My favorite hike so far in New Mexico. Significant physical exertion. I hiked in Early June - temperature got up to 102. I brought 2.5 liters of water in a bladder, and 22 ounces in a bottle. Due to the temperature I drank more than I planned. I cut my trip short due to shortage of water, combined with not being entirely sure how much farther I had to go. The trail is not well marked at all - but that is what I found most enjoyable. I had to pay close attention to the trail and the map - and I still got off the trail a half dozen times. Fantastic views of las cruces. One of the coolest features I made it to was “The Narrows” - where the trail goes between two cliffs with less than 20 separating them. No complaints about the trail - it was super fun. I’m gonna come back in a few weeks with more water and less unnecessary junk and make it to the peak. I went 6ish out and back and made it in under 4 hours.

Great long hike, 10 miles, 5 hours up, 4 hours down. The Narrows at the half way point could be a destination in itself. Several distinct vegetation zones.

Weather was great. Hike was great. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Beautiful Hike! It is definitely in the top two in the Organs. Just as enjoyable as the Needle but not as hard. The scenery is magnificent and the view of Needle is incredible.

A bit disappointed at how overgrown this trail is. I was hoping for a killer hike/run but only made it halfway before I gave up on bushwacking and turned around. If you blink, you'll miss the turn onto it from the main trail. It's not marked, and not on any map I found besides this one. Tracking via GPS is crucial to stay on the route.

Tough, yet phenomenal hike. Definitely recommend some kind of GPS to make sure you stay on track. As others have said the trail is very over grown with shrub and other ruthless succulents. Wear some kind of lightweight hiking pants or else your legs will get beat up pretty good. Bring plenty of water. Also as others have said if you are trying to get on the trail that takes you to the peak and you find yourself at the waterfall on the Fillmore canyon trail you need to turn around. If you blink you will miss the entrance to the organ peak trail. All Trails map was great in keeping me on track. As your walking on the organ peak trail it is not marked by anything other then piles of rocks. If you find yourself off track coming down you can follow the stream down. The stream will take you to the Fillmore canyon waterfall. Good luck and enjoy the breathtaking views from the top.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Most difficult trail i've done in New Mexico! Stash water, especially if you want to camp on top.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

One of the gems of the Organ Mountains, near Las Cruces NM, is the Organ Peak, one of the steep and expose rock crowning this range. To get there, you need to go the Dripping Springs area and with a help of a map, find the Filmore Canyon entrance. Once inside the canyon, you have the option of going straight ahead and you will get to a small water fall that is only active during the rainy season. If not, in about half a mile, you will find a trail to your right that will take you to the end of the canyon. The trail is some how marked but once in a while you need to go back into your steeps to correct your direction. Specially now. Because of the rain, there is a lot of grass covering the mountain. Once you get to a place where you can not find the trail any more, you need to identify where the Organ Peak is and from now on, the walk is out of any defined path. Please review your capabilities and if you decide that you are fit to get to the top, go ahead, the effort is worthwhile. If not, be proud of what you accomplish and enjoy your trip back on this beautiful trail.

recorded Organ Mt