Organ Needles Trail

Organ Needles Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Hike thru Desert Valley to the Organ Needles. NO PETS ALLOWED. CAUTION - EXTREME HIKE - rated toughest in New Mexico by BLM, not only for the actual difficulty but for the bushwhacking and scrambling as well. Take extra water! After paying at the visitor's center, drive west on the service road to the trailhead at the La Cueva Picnic area. On the trail at about 0.15 miles you reach a fork in the trail. Take the left fork. At about 0.75 miles you will meet the junction of the Fillmore Canyon Trail on the left. Follow this trail thru the gate a few hundred yards until you see a pile of mine tailings. Take the left fork and climb the tailings pile. Follow the trail above the tailings in the direction of the large yellow rock ahead. Just beyond the yellow rock is a good rest spot in the trees. From the trees follow the trail to the large gray rock. Climb to the left of the gray rock up to Juniper Saddle. From Juniper Saddle continue up through Dark Canyon descending the west side around the spur and up to the Needles Peak. Return via reverse route.

Hiked the Organ Needles three times now. One of my favorites and the view is great. There's a bit of scrambling throughout the hike, but if you're in decent shape it makes for a great day long climb. Watch out for Stinging Nettle towards the top!

Unbeatable views for the area and not a terribly long hike. That being said, expect few crowds, bushwhacking, steady climb, narrow trails, plenty of thorny bushes. I went in August after monsoon season and saw a rattlesnake on the trail so just be mindful of where you step and hike with a friend.

Some trail find ING skills are needed, but in general it's not a difficult trail to follow. Some parts are really strenuous, especially last leg through Dark Canyon to saddle. I didn't get to the summit, because I thought the first part of the scramble out of the little side canyon using the ledge was too dangerous. I did have to remove a lot of cactus needles out of my leg afterwards.

Was really scared by reviews but went anyway equipped with GPS and tagging tape. Started from Modoc mine road at 6:30am and drove as far as we could (road gets pretty rough) then followed the road until it met filmore trail. Trail was pretty obvious and we marked out path as we went. We wore shorts but changed into pants after the juniper saddle. We went through the dark canyon (careful there are plants that sting) and made it to the east side. We were suppose to go near the saddle on the east side to climb up the easy way but we heard something in the woods, got scared, and started climbing earlier. Was pretty perilous climbing but we made it to the top and the views were incredible. WHITE SANDS. Also there were tons of ladybugs this season. Finding our way back down wasn't too hard once you find the eastern saddle. Great hike. Bring lots of water and leave bottles near the saddle and places for more water on the way down. Would highly recommend.

This is the most BADASS hike you will ever do. Views for days.

Amazing hike! The view at the top is totally worth the climb to get there. With that being said It is very challenging so be sure to bring plenty of water and food. I wouldn't take going on this hike lightly because of how challenging it is. There are a few places where it would be easy to slide and fall if you don't watch your step and tread carefully. Also once you start heading up the mountains there are plenty of trail markers to keep you on the right path just keep an eye out for them. Also I would recommend making an early start to do this hike to make sure you have enough time to complete it.

My roommate and I decided we would climb the needle over spring break. We don't have any experience in hiking or climbing but we made it to the saddle in 4 hours and it took another hour to figure it out how to get to the very top. The trail is not easy to follow and coming back down is the hardest part. We got lost for 2 hours and finally found a trail to climb back down. We started at 9am and finished at about 7pm. Bring at least a gallon of water for each person and food!
Totally worth it!!
Watch our YouTube video!(:

hiked this in January and was covered in ice and snow. Very demanding hike but rewarding.

Just got off the mountain. Crazy hard. I made it to the summit minus 100 feet. Just couldn't convince myself to scramble up the last bit of rock face. Still felt good to make it to the saddle. Started just before 6am parked away from visitors center to keep from getting locked in. Ended up finishing round trip by 2pm. But yeah really used the AllTrails app to start the hike and near the summit but really didn't get lost just kept and eye on the tail and remembered to go the same way down. So the hike was not dangerous just be prepared to go up up up. And the summit shouldn't be taken lightly I wish I could of made the top but wasn't prepared. Good Luck!