Organ Needles Trail

Organ Needles Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Hike thru Desert Valley to the Organ Needles. NO PETS ALLOWED. CAUTION - EXTREME HIKE - rated toughest in New Mexico by BLM, not only for the actual difficulty but for the bushwhacking and scrambling as well. Take extra water! After paying at the visitor's center, drive west on the service road to the trailhead at the La Cueva Picnic area. On the trail at about 0.15 miles you reach a fork in the trail. Take the left fork. At about 0.75 miles you will meet the junction of the Fillmore Canyon Trail on the left. Follow this trail thru the gate a few hundred yards until you see a pile of mine tailings. Take the left fork and climb the tailings pile. Follow the trail above the tailings in the direction of the large yellow rock ahead. Just beyond the yellow rock is a good rest spot in the trees. From the trees follow the trail to the large gray rock. Climb to the left of the gray rock up to Juniper Saddle. From Juniper Saddle continue up through Dark Canyon descending the west side around the spur and up to the Needles Peak. Return via reverse route.

It's definitely doable in a day but so much more fun as an overnighter. I went 4 times now, always with a group. Take enough water.

Lord of the send. 4:00 up, 3:15 down. #sendysunday

Hiked the Organ Needles three times now. One of my favorites and the view is great. There's a bit of scrambling throughout the hike, but if you're in decent shape it makes for a great day long climb. Watch out for Stinging Nettle towards the top!

Unbeatable views for the area and not a terribly long hike. That being said, expect few crowds, bushwhacking, steady climb, narrow trails, plenty of thorny bushes. I went in August after monsoon season and saw a rattlesnake on the trail so just be mindful of where you step and hike with a friend.

Some trail find ING skills are needed, but in general it's not a difficult trail to follow. Some parts are really strenuous, especially last leg through Dark Canyon to saddle. I didn't get to the summit, because I thought the first part of the scramble out of the little side canyon using the ledge was too dangerous. I did have to remove a lot of cactus needles out of my leg afterwards.

Was really scared by reviews but went anyway equipped with GPS and tagging tape. Started from Modoc mine road at 6:30am and drove as far as we could (road gets pretty rough) then followed the road until it met filmore trail. Trail was pretty obvious and we marked out path as we went. We wore shorts but changed into pants after the juniper saddle. We went through the dark canyon (careful there are plants that sting) and made it to the east side. We were suppose to go near the saddle on the east side to climb up the easy way but we heard something in the woods, got scared, and started climbing earlier. Was pretty perilous climbing but we made it to the top and the views were incredible. WHITE SANDS. Also there were tons of ladybugs this season. Finding our way back down wasn't too hard once you find the eastern saddle. Great hike. Bring lots of water and leave bottles near the saddle and places for more water on the way down. Would highly recommend.

This is the most BADASS hike you will ever do. Views for days.

Amazing hike! The view at the top is totally worth the climb to get there. With that being said It is very challenging so be sure to bring plenty of water and food. I wouldn't take going on this hike lightly because of how challenging it is. There are a few places where it would be easy to slide and fall if you don't watch your step and tread carefully. Also once you start heading up the mountains there are plenty of trail markers to keep you on the right path just keep an eye out for them. Also I would recommend making an early start to do this hike to make sure you have enough time to complete it.

My roommate and I decided we would climb the needle over spring break. We don't have any experience in hiking or climbing but we made it to the saddle in 4 hours and it took another hour to figure it out how to get to the very top. The trail is not easy to follow and coming back down is the hardest part. We got lost for 2 hours and finally found a trail to climb back down. We started at 9am and finished at about 7pm. Bring at least a gallon of water for each person and food!
Totally worth it!!
Watch our YouTube video!(:

hiked this in January and was covered in ice and snow. Very demanding hike but rewarding.

Just got off the mountain. Crazy hard. I made it to the summit minus 100 feet. Just couldn't convince myself to scramble up the last bit of rock face. Still felt good to make it to the saddle. Started just before 6am parked away from visitors center to keep from getting locked in. Ended up finishing round trip by 2pm. But yeah really used the AllTrails app to start the hike and near the summit but really didn't get lost just kept and eye on the tail and remembered to go the same way down. So the hike was not dangerous just be prepared to go up up up. And the summit shouldn't be taken lightly I wish I could of made the top but wasn't prepared. Good Luck!

A long, arduous hike, for sure, but not nearly as scary as all these reviews would have led me to believe. Made the summit in 1:48 (Moving time), and scattered routes and multiple, misleading cairns were to blame. Decided to follow a corner/crack system with easy 5th class moves to shorten the route once you reach the final saddle. Very exposed and requires skill if you don't take the "easy" way for the final approach from the East.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

I am giving this trail less stars than it deserves simply for my experience. Although the views are spectacular and scenic, I got lost multiple times. I did a lot of research before ascending this hike, and nothing could have prepared me for it. The way up, I did get lost a couple times, but it was the way down that caused me problems. I got off the main trail, since there are "dead-end trails," and at one point, I got so of course, that I had to call the visitor center and state police for additional help getting down. One wrong move, and you end up in very arid vegetation that completely cut you up with cactus needles and the like, despite wearing the appropriate clothing. I made it up and back in 10+ hours, but with search and rescue's help. I don't recommend this for "hikers." I'd say, please be careful and know how to "climb" a bit. The way down, you scoot on your behind a lot. I'm not saying the views aren't worth it, but please be prepared for the hike you are about to do. Take a friend, take lots of snacks and a camelbak, and take it slow. Other than getting lost, I loved the views at the summit. :)

Friday, August 26, 2016

My cousin and I were able to reach the base of the summit in 3.5 hours, while witnessing some pretty great views on the way up. However, after spending about 4 hours trying to find a route to the peak, we were unsuccessful. We did find potential paths to the top, but the rock climbing required to follow these paths seemed rather dangerous and risky.

Also, I'm not sure if we were on the correct path when we reached the base of the peak, but that area did not have a trail - we bushwhacked like crazy and certainly fell numerous times (I'd highly recommend wearing long-sleeve shirts and pants).

Lastly, if you're hiking the trail for the first time, I'd recommend giving yourself ample time to get down the path, which is fairly steep and somewhat slippery. Even though my cousin and I made it to the top in 3.5 hours and had no issues navigating the trail, we found ourselves losing the trail down many times. There were trails that broke off from the main trail that led to dead ends (e.g., the top of a canyon). Unfortunately, our phones died on the way down, so that also made the journey a lot more difficult. So definitely don't underestimate the way down! And always, it's smart to prepare for the worst so take extra water, a flashlight, an extra phone battery, etc!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Definitely worth the time and effort, know your goal and never turn back. I parked in the La Cueva picnic area and it took me 4 hours to reach the needle, and about 2 1/2 to get down and back. I went by myself, though I definitely advise against this, luckily I ran into another hiker and we stuck together for most of it. The trail was marked often enough by cairns and the occasional white tape in trees that is was fairly easy to follow. The AllTrails app is accurate to a fault, as long as you have signal. The only truly dangerous part in my opinion was the final rock face you have to climb to reach the summit. Just keep your feet in the crack and take advantage of the ample hand holds. Don't ever trust any rope or cordage you find as an aid, you never know if they tied proper knots, or how worn the threads are. All in all it was a great hike, the views are incredible, and the challenge makes it that much more rewarding. Once you get to Juniper Saddle the environment changes drastically, lush green vegetation and the fresh smell of juniper and cedar trees. Bring at least two liters of water, you'll need it in the summer time. Lastly sign the logbook at the top, inside of the waterproof container! Enjoy!!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

took me 11 hours to do the whole trip, started cramping half ways up

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Incredible adventure. The views are amazing.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Got about 40' from the summit and couldn't find a way to the top. Unforgettable experience, but incredibly strenuous.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

I complete it on March 2013, the most strenuous but exciting experience. The part near the summit is the most difficult, but once you get to the top, you feel a great satisfaction. It took us around 9 hours to complete it, we returned by the other side by the mountain with no trail, until we join the Fillmore Trail. The view of 360 degrees from the top is amazing!, I have to go again.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Pretty epic hike. Took about 3 hrs 45 min to get to the peak. It's pretty sketchy near the top but well worth it. There is orange tape and cairns that helped me stay on the right path; it can get a little confusing.